Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2018, 05:17 PM   #21

State: Alaska
THOR #13323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
The USB port on the radio is for input to the radio. You can use it to update the firmware of the unit or play tunes from a stick. The USB port on the dash is for charging devices. On my coach the dash USB has nothing to do with the radio. It is only a power outlet. Knowing Thor, they probably wired something wrong.
Thanks Lt, I can believe that. Pretty sure I can fix it long before my dealership can do anything about it, or Thor for that matter.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.2
State: Illinois
THOR #12796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
The USB port on the radio is for input to the radio. You can use it to update the firmware of the unit or play tunes from a stick. The USB port on the dash is for charging devices. On my coach the dash USB has nothing to do with the radio. It is only a power outlet. Knowing Thor, they probably wired something wrong.
I know that many of these displays have such a connection. You described it as "under the dash". If it is in a dash mounted bracket or receptacle then my comment does not necessarily apply. Typically the connection I described should be a dangling connection.
The symptoms you described would be what I would expect if you plugged into the software update connection
Old 11-13-2018, 07:55 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Pal36.3 View Post
I know that many of these displays have such a connection. You described it as "under the dash". If it is in a dash mounted bracket or receptacle then my comment does not necessarily apply. Typically the connection I described should be a dangling connection.
The symptoms you described would be what I would expect if you plugged into the software update connection
The USB port on my unit is not under the dash, I didn't say that. It is on the front of the head unit and clearly marked. All I said was the dash mounted USB is a charging point. It has nothing to do with the radio.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:17 AM   #24

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
USB with HDMI Port

The USB & HDMI port in the dash are connected to the Radio to Mirror Cellphones, This particular USB port is power only.

The USB port on the radio is for music, updates, and also when not driving Videos.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #25

State: Arizona
THOR #13531
Hello Eric , keep your battery switch on , unless you winterize for storage . We have the same radio you have and we used a pen tip to reset the radio . It's located upper left corner of the radio , looks like a little hole . After doing that our radio and back up camera works just fine.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #26

State: Ohio
THOR #4003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Eric View Post
Thanks everyone for the quick and concise responses. I think I got it now !!!!
The manual sucks regarding this issue.

I still have an issue with the Radio / Back -up camera even with the switch in the use position.

I do have a blue light showing in the mode area which suggests it has power but nothing works. Any suggestions greatly received.

Eric.

Sounds like mine, the radio display was dead. Radio replaced.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Massachusetts
THOR #7179
My radio and cameras share the same screen. It is powered by the coach batteries. Thus if you shut off the battery disconnect switch, power is lost to the radio and camera
Old 11-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #28

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
When storing for a long period of time with the use/store switch set to store, there is still current being taken from the coach battery(s). I installed a battery disconnect switch (knife switch on grounds) and leave the batteries connected to a maintainer. I also leave the engine battery on a maintainer.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #29

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: South Dakota
THOR #9611
Here's a piece of info about the batteries I never see mentioned on this forum. According to the Ford Manual the transmission draws power, even when the use/store switch is in store. The explanation given is that the transmission need a small amount of current to maintain the fuel trim, shift point, etc information gathered as a result of the unit being driven. The transmission adapts it characteristics to operate as efficiently as it can according to the way it is driven over time. When the battery has been disconnected or has been drained the transmission forgets all the data it has accumulated and has to relearn the drivers methods and mannerisms. There is even a short procedure in the manual on how to get the transmission started on its' relearning process. We used to put the switch in store when it was in storage and several times found the batteries dead when we went to use it. Now, as advised by knowledgeable members on this forum, we never put the unit in store. Of course we always have it plugged in when we have it stored. Just FYI.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #30

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Ontario
THOR #9645
Had an issue with the Axxera back up camera radio system, I emailed Axxera with the problem in no time they referred me to an affiliate which replied to me in the same day we discussed the problem he sent me a firmware update and that fixed the problem, so contact Axxera their service was excellent
Old 11-18-2018, 10:03 PM   #31

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by USTraveler View Post
Here's a piece of info about the batteries I never see mentioned on this forum. According to the Ford Manual the transmission draws power, even when the use/store switch is in store. The explanation given is that the transmission need a small amount of current to maintain the fuel trim, shift point, etc information gathered as a result of the unit being driven....
Are they saying that the transmission draws current from the coach batteries? I would think they draw from the engine battery.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:08 AM   #32

Model: ACE 30.2
THOR #9161
Store/Use switch

I had the exact same issue on my A.C.E.. I had to disassemble the entire unit and repair a faulty wiring job out of the factory( amoungst MANY other issues in a brand new unit). Very frustrating. Good luck!
Old 11-19-2018, 12:54 AM   #33

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: South Dakota
THOR #9611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Are they saying that the transmission draws current from the coach batteries? I would think they draw from the engine battery.

The transmission draws current from the engine battery.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #34

Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #13457
I had the same problem when I first started using my coach. Dixie RV never told me that the radio was in line with the switch. But they took my money when I took it in for service. They never gave me an intro walk around, but that's my fault...I am still learning what I can about the coach.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #35

THOR #13457
New subject and problem........Cable TV connection....Works in main cabin when connected, but not in rear bedroom, or on outside TV's. Dixie RV keeps saying that it is working because of the main cabin TV. Any suggestions other than to keep fighting with Dixie RV.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #36

THOR #2817
Check both ends of the coax to the non-functioning televisions. Is the amplifier ahead of all TVs?
Old 11-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #37

THOR #13457
Dixie RV did say that the outside connection was changed on the first service visit, and said that the cable for the main cabin TV is the same one that feeds the other 2 TV's. They checked for splitter problems supposedly, and said the same thing,,,,,Its working. But it's not working right.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #38

THOR #2817
You could try running a new coax from the spitter to the malfunctioning TVs. It can be temporarily run through the coach and out the door, just to confirm that it is not the cabling.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #39

Model: Ace 29.4
THOR #6366
My friend called me because she had a problem charging her batteries. She was plugged into shore power, and hit the "use" side of the use/store button, but the batteries would not charge. There was no voltage when unplugged from shore. She made an appointment to get it looked at, and drove it to the dealer. They plugged it in and it charged fine. The solenoid for the U/S button runs off of the house batteries, and so would not close with the batteries dead. The short drive to the dealer charged the batteries enough for the solenoid to close, and charge the unit.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #40

THOR #2817
Is that the solenoid that makes a sound when the use/store switch is operated? If so, then it's important to hear that solenoid click into the use position.