Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2022, 05:04 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Com...7Y2WN3NS&psc=1

Lowes was running a special 3-4 years back on this compressor for $39 so bought one to leave in one of the garages

Works fine and is small but isn't quiet

For the money the Porter Cable is the best deal just takes more space

Old 01-06-2022, 06:05 PM   #42

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We're not rememebering he currently owns a compressor which can do blowouts etc.
I think he'll have two when it's all said and done.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:48 AM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Com...7Y2WN3NS&psc=1

Lowes was running a special 3-4 years back on this compressor for $39 so bought one to leave in one of the garages

Works fine and is small but isn't quiet

For the money the Porter Cable is the best deal just takes more space
Thanks, I saw that Craftsman earlier this week, all the specs were win, win win until I saw Noise level 87 decibels. In my quest for best loud is automatically disqualified although every thing else is perfect.

Right now, I am not sure Lowes even carry a model that I want or fit the requirements. When I was in the store the unit they had were too heavy.

The Porter Cable is what I thought I was gonna buy, I created the thread because I learned that even though it is lighter and quieter than my pictured Bostitch; it was the same height. I just don't see the gain in buying another compressor basically the same size.

I figure that whatever I buy it will cost me $130 - $170 so price is not a real factor. All I got to do is buy 7 gallons less gas on next trip and the difference is paid for.

But for you and what little bit I assume I know about you, I should buy the Makita for $169 and shut this thread down. It is only money and you may have 5 of these things in your TV; but for me; it is fun to really get at the best answer.

i.e. what if someone can show a 1 gal unit that actually beats the Makita? I would not but the Stealth over Makita to save $15 so unless something else pops up, I will just focus on finding a Makita @58 decibels!!!
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:04 AM   #44

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
We're not rememebering he currently owns a compressor which can do blowouts etc.
I think he'll have two when it's all said and done.
Yes sir you have it right, posting what I have again so others can see the why the request. My current Bostitch works just fine, I have plenty of room for it to fit. That Porter Cable was my original choice and I know it would work but it is as tall as my current Bostitch and it is 79 decibels!!!

So how did I get here? I wanted a smaller air compressor to carry in RV 24/7 and NOT have to share with what I have at home. I know Viair are what most folks want but beside the $400 price tag, I do not want a DC air compressor, or a Lithium; not complaining about them, not saying they don't work, but saying I don't want one.

When I blowout, I can still use my home Bostitch because thus far I have always been home when I have winterized, but you know what, with what I plan to buy, I may leave on trip not winterized and if it gets bad I can find some place to dump and I can take my time one fixture at a while this 1 gal compressor blows air.

Now that that is out of the way, the Makita is risen to be my preferred choice. Thus far I have not gotten permission from the Chateau Nomad, so I may need the Duck Seal Approval to override any Nomad Veto

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC100...a-912897715679

But you or anyone that have something better than the $169 Makita, I am listening.

The Makita is #1 right now to me because...

#1 58 Decibels
#2 2.8 Amps
#3 25.5 lbs
#4 Only 12 inch tall and has a flat top
#5 Fully encased in a cage
#6 135 psi ( I only need 82 psi)
#7 Establish name brand and highly rated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220105_084945.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	35526  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-07-2022, 01:35 AM   #45

THOR #13932
I would readily approve but I'm having a hard time with the whole:
I'm spending $200 to save 10 lbs and decibels.
This is because I've only added air when on the road strictly due to boredom. And we don't crowd into a koa so the noise wouldn't be relevant.

Don't get me wrong, I would/have because I absolutely cannot stand the sound of an oilless compressor and given the chance I'd never own one.

The wife has a 6gallon hotdog and I hate it. I won't go in her shop when it's running.
I have a 26gallon that's on easy wheels. I hate it so much it's on a timer to turn on only at midnight so I don't have to hear the screeching bastard. It's always full enough, but I don't ever hear it run.

So,
I kind of get it for the noise because I'd rather listen to Mario Lanza than hear an oiless running.
I don't get it for the 10lbs weight savings.(but I have a 24.1 with an added, never to be used, 3,000lbs or so of load ability[and I am not bound by gvrw witchcraft fear] so I'm exempt)

I have a big ol' 8hp 1750 rpm single cylinder superquiet, almost enjoyable to hear, 80 gallon chugger I can use to fill that damn26 if I have to. ANYTHING to keep from hearing it.

There is no clear choice on any of those in your boil down lust/list. I don't have an ounce of brand-care in me.
I went super quiet and super compact with a ryobi and a charger always plugged in in the basement. My flashlight and vacuum uses the same batteries, so again, redundancy.
But
I also carry that 110v husky and a 12v version. They're combined smaller than a pair of shoes so I'd be a fool not to(and I can easily give one to someone on the road in need)

Whatever you buy, buy that husky110v as back up.
One
Is
None.

Old 01-07-2022, 01:48 AM   #46

THOR #13058
Quote:
That is good enough for me..... I don't care how I get the Duck Seal Approval

What do I say... these are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2022, 01:56 AM   #47

THOR #13058
Quote:

It is actually spending $169 to save 10 lbs, 29 decibels, 12amps draw to 2.8 amp, half the size, convenience to have on RV 24/7, having two versus 1

I don't get it for the 10lbs weight savings.(but I have a 24.1 with an added, never to be used, 3,000lbs or so of load ability[and I am not bound by gvrw witchcraft fear] so I'm exempt)

The weight reduction is benefit to me is just for me having to move around, the GVWR is a bonus; plus given you gonna buy one, light is best.

There is no clear choice on any of those in your boil down lust/list. I don't have an ounce of brand-care in me.
I went super quiet and super compact with a ryobi and a charger always plugged in in the basement. My flashlight and vacuum uses the same batteries, so again, redundancy.
But
I also carry that 110v husky and a 12v version. They're combined smaller than a pair of shoes so I'd be a fool not to(and I can easily give one to someone on the road in need)

Whatever you buy, buy that husky110v as back up.
One
Is
None.
No room to carry a 2nd unit, but one day I may buy one of the good quality 12vdc to go in a car, but we don't ever travel in cars or SUV anymore.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:57 AM   #48

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
KOBALT tire inflator

I have 2, the big one is the 3 gal tank and max pressure 150 psi. i use this at the RV park prior to trips, inflate the tires to 82 psi. The other is the little one that is packed and never used. It is for that emergency on the road,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2022-01-06_21-03-25.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	35531   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-01-06_21-04-15.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	35532  

Old 01-07-2022, 02:01 AM   #49

THOR #13932
You're right.
I should have a 12v or duplicate ryobi in my grab-and-go travel bag for the trucks.
I have jumper cables and jump-pac and tire plug kit, but no air.
I have a couple of yard sale 12v and husky here just laying around.

I think the ryobi is $54.
I might rather spend that.

But
Either way you've cost me $54 or an hour of the hunt and pack for the ones I have,

Old 01-07-2022, 02:17 AM   #50

THOR #13058
Best Electric Air Compressor for RV Identified

Thanks all, I have concluded that the Makita 1 gal Compressor is the best answer for which I was seeking. I went to order from the Orange Store (Home Depot) and miraculously it was on sale from $169 down to $159

I am gonna wait until they deliver it versus going to the store. I really appreciate all of the input and help.

For the Duck, when you think about it, as it turns out; I only paid $10 more for the Makita over the Husky

For the Chateau Nomad
, it is your move My RV is already winterized so my first test may be to see how it does blowing air and recycling. Another thing that is cool about this unit is I can run it off my inverter at 2.8 amps.

Koldman
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Makita Air Compresssor.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	35533  
Old 01-07-2022, 02:23 AM   #51

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
The HF Fortress is likely a knock off of the Makita... might have came from the same factory. The specs are basically identical. I think the prettier paint on the Makita is worth the extra $10.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:27 AM   #52

THOR #13932
I'm winterized also.
I have the thermostat set in the rv at 60°f while it sits INSIDE the 24.1's house.
It's exhausting in to its house keeping everything comfortable.
(Nope, not skeered)

Full water tank(to the brim)
Pump off
Water Lines filled.
Water heater on
Fridge on and filled.
Gas tank topped off
Shore power

Crank engine
Roll up shore line
And
Go

Old 01-07-2022, 02:29 AM   #53

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
The HF Fortress is likely a knock off of the Makita... might have came from the same factory. The specs are basically identical. I think the prettier paint on the Makita is worth the extra $10.
But
That $10 might get you an added 2 year warranty
And
I THINK hf still gives you full retail for any upgrade trade in you do....

Old 01-07-2022, 02:47 AM   #54

THOR #13058
Quote:
Take a look at the Fortress https://www.harborfreight.com/1-gall...0aAkkMEALw_wcB

I went to a HF and 1st thing I notice is how the handle angles up. Granted I am talking details but that is the fun and why you do analysis but that handle creates wasted space. Additionally all of the vitals are not protected behind it. The Makita has a flat top with recessed handle and an enclosed steel cage for protection. I also agree with you about prettier bank.

Also just so you know; I got my Makita for $159; so at the moment; At Home Depot it is the exact same price as the Fortress at HF. But don't worry if you don't buy one and you are on the road, just swing through Texas and I will fill your tires with my Makita for free
Old 01-07-2022, 03:09 AM   #55

THOR #16721
Texas?? . We may be there a couple winters from now... on the way to the desert southwest. For now we're stuck in Ohio until my sweetie retires...

I'm gonna need a full report on that Makita.... if you don't mind. Curious how much "blowing" it will do if the tank is empty.

I think that may determine your waterline blowout success. Sounds like it will have no problem as a tire inflator.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:58 PM   #56

THOR #13058
Quote:
Texas?? . We may be there a couple winters from now... on the way to the desert southwest. For now we're stuck in Ohio until my sweetie retires...

I'm gonna need a full report on that Makita.... if you don't mind. Curious how much "blowing" it will do if the tank is empty.

I think that may determine your waterline blowout success. Sounds like it will have no problem as a tire inflator.
Ah man, who knows by then Ohio State may actually have won a game against Michigan

You can bet Makita will get no favoritism from me. I will provide the truth with emphasis on my definition of quality which means "fitness for use"

It shipped today. I expect to receive on Sunday. I have not had this much RV excitement since putting in the vMax Tank AGM batteries

I may even let air out of my tires to put fresh air in them
Old 01-07-2022, 11:03 PM   #57

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Thanks for the recommendation..watching TV sound bar etc with vmax 125AH AGM!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 11:08 PM   #58

THOR #16721
Spray a little of that leftover ceramic spray on the new Makita... it will help keep that paint nice and purdy!
Old 01-07-2022, 11:41 PM   #59

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Thanks for the recommendation..watching TV sound bar etc with vmax 125AH AGM!
You know this reminds me that my new 110vac 2.8amp Makita will basically be 12vdc like on the road because it will be able to run off the Inverter which is connected to my vmax 125AH AGM!

I can plug direct to my Inverter if I wanted to But because it is portable I will use it for things and if I need air in the house to do thing, I no longer need to bring in my giant 6 gal Bostitch. Gosh you gonna make me by another one before I get to evaluate the 1st one.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:57 PM   #60

THOR #13058
Quote:
Spray a little of that leftover ceramic spray on the new Makita... it will help keep that paint nice and purdy!
My plan is to bring it in the house and set on the formal dining room table and let it run for 30 minutes to break it in and see if my wife hears it or notices. If I go radio silent next week, you can assume she heard it and it didn't go so well

If I pass the break in test, I will try to blow out the lines to see if I can sustain 40 psi pressure, I will lower a couple of tires down to 77 psi and see how long it takes to get them to 82 psi.

I will then focus on start up amperage draw direct on the inverter. They say it runs 2.8 amps; so I am guessing start up may hit 6 amps?

If it passes all of that, I will dri wash it and shine it up with Meguiars #56 Spray Wax I think some folks may laugh; but my purdy little green compressor must be as clean as my purdy big arse green 5500 genny

My bilge area in all of my boats have always been as clean as most folks boats.