Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2022, 02:24 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Best Electric Air Compressor for RV

Does anyone have a suggestion for the best Electric Air Compressor for RV to carry in compartment bay 24/7?

I am looking for at least 120psi, under 30lbs, under 70 decibels and a very small footprint.

I have ruled out Viair RV Model, because I don't want 12vdc power, not to mention the $379 costs for Class A model air compressor.

I have a nice 6 gallon Bostich that I have had for years, that I occasionally pack with the RV for long trips, it is 21" tall and about 17" wide and 30 pounds. It is also very loud. So my plan is to buy a smaller quieter one that I can keep in the RV 24/7.

The below is what I am leaning towards... All ideas welcomed but just beware that I am not too keen on 12vdc or Lithium batteries.

Note: the below model only draws 2.8 amps whereas my existing draws 10.5amps

https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Oi...07XYP8BNP?th=1

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:32 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Get a Viair 400 RV. Pretty expensive but it’ll get the job done for you. It’s small and very well made.
Old 01-05-2022, 02:58 AM   #3

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Get a Viair 400 RV. Pretty expensive but it’ll get the job done for you. It’s small and very well made.

You must have missed that I do not want 12vdc?

For others that must know,

I have of easy access to inverter supplied AC outlets and the actual inverter itself. I don't wish to raise the battery access step door every time I wish to add air. I am not saying I can't do, but much like adding water to FLA, I don't want to do it. Look for feedback on model posted or other ideas.

$175 is max I will spend.

I basically just want one to put in the RV to leave it it without taking my 6 gallon pancake out of the garage every time.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-05-2022, 03:01 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
I have packed a small no-tank 120v compressor from Craftsman for a few years. I see a similar one on Amaz on for $31.21, Husky brand. Not all that speedy, but it will take my 19.5 tires from 65 to 75 in about 4 minutes. That's acceptable to me for occasional and emergency use.

I prefer the RV generator and a cord to accessing the battery. As technology advances, we'll have affordable cordless compressors before long.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:11 AM   #5

THOR #13058
I am not looking for battery options; although I could see that if I had things like tractors or was going to use in a car.

But this compressor will always be with the RV. I just want to simply plug into inverter, hopefully a unit with low amp draw.

FWIW, I think I will by a Ryobi 40v leaf blower and trimmer soon, due to laws changing. So I am not against Lithium batteries.

The stealth is also suppose to be very quiet.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:14 AM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I hadn't seen the
No lithium decision.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-gall...sor-64596.html
60 db(a dedicated ice chest/box will cut it to 35db)
2200 five star reviews.

I might mount it to the frame near the wet bay. Maybe there's room under the hood.
Out of the way under the RV.
An air reel....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:18 AM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
I have packed a small no-tank 120v compressor from Craftsman for a few years. I see a similar one on Amaz on for $31.21, Husky brand. Not all that speedy, but it will take my 19.5 tires from 65 to 75 in about 4 minutes. That's acceptable to me for occasional and emergency use.

I could not find, but saw this craftsman. But it is 87 decibels

https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Com...s%2C103&sr=8-7

I prefer the RV generator and a cord to accessing the battery. As technology advances, we'll have affordable cordless compressors before long.
I agree the 110vac is easier than accessing battery. The generator is nice backup but with 2.8 amp draw generator may not be needed, although I prolly would anyway.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:33 AM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I hadn't seen the
No lithium decision.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-gall...sor-64596.html
60 db(a dedicated ice chest/box will cut it to 35db)
3000 five star reviews.

I might mount it to the frame near the wet bay. Maybe there's room under the hood.
Out of the way under the RV.
An air reel....
That one is too heavy for me at 37 lbs but it's little brother is only 26 lbs.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-gall...sor-64592.html

This is inline with what I am think I may get. The Stealth is just the best I have seen thus far.

I got plenty room in lower bays
Old 01-05-2022, 03:38 AM   #9

THOR #13932
The small one will do fine and is pretty quick.
The tanks are removable and their small ability to reserve is almost worthless for a tire.
That's maybe another 6 or so pounds dropped, and considerable size.
57db is very quiet.

Old 01-05-2022, 05:18 AM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Been down this road... The Viair gets GREAT reviews, but just TOO much $$$$$$. If the price came down? Maybe... I just think it's overpriced for what it is. (But then I spent $500+ on a TPMS )

I agree with the AC vs DC. I'm simply NOT going to install a dedicated 12v port for a single appliance! And forget the alligator clips... although I do use that option for my little water transfer pump. But my water port is right next to the door/steps/battery compartment.

After mulling and more mulling, I have so far "settled" for my big yellow Bostitch Pancake. It's heavy and awkward, but I found a good place to store it out of the way. It easily gets the job done. And with 10 tires, I want a dependable solution. I can set the compressor up about midway on the motorhome passenger side, and the hose will reach ALL the tires (even the toad) without dragging it around.

And yep, I've considered the small HF hotdog compressors... but still not saving much room (for me) over the pancake.

Like you... still looking.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:42 AM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Been down this road... The Viair gets GREAT reviews, but just TOO much $$$$$$. If the price came down? Maybe... I just think it's overpriced for what it is. (But then I spent $500+ on a TPMS )

I agree with the AC vs DC. I'm simply NOT going to install a dedicated 12v port for a single appliance! And forget the alligator clips... although I do use that option for my little water transfer pump. But my water port is right next to the door/steps/battery compartment.

After mulling and more mulling, I have so far "settled" for my big yellow Bostitch Pancake. It's heavy and awkward, but I found a good place to store it out of the way. It easily gets the job done. And with 10 tires, I want a dependable solution. I can set the compressor up about midway on the motorhome passenger side, and the hose will reach ALL the tires (even the toad) without dragging it around.

And yep, I've considered the small HF hotdog compressors... but still not saving much room (for me) over the pancake.

Like you... still looking.

The AC just gives me more options when on the road and for other uses at home. My Bostitch 6 gallon is what I use today and it works great. I am in year 3 of my savings from my didn't buy an extended warranty plan; so I have another $1,500 to spend. Thus far I got a new 12-1 Air fryer, a portable ice maker so this may be next. It is about half the height of my Bostitch. It is very quiet so could even use inside, reduced weight etc. I am now looking at the 1 gallon stealth and the Fortress.

Viair is good product and word of mouth allows them to sell at a very good price. The quality is there and so is the demand. But it is not for me. 12vdc would be good for my SUV or cars.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:10 AM   #12

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I carried this Porter Cable under the bed of my 29m. Only 20 lbs, 150 psi. It works great

PORTER-CABLE Air Compressor Kit, 1.5 Gallon, Oil-Free, Fully Shrouded, Hand Carry, 25-Feet Hose (CMB15) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006CVXGR0...1TNG4Q4AP40KMG

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:23 PM   #13

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I have the 40v cordless, Viar, and a pancake PC

The Porter Cable pancake gets used if airing all tires for seasonal change or trip prep

Viar for Towed or topping a tire

RYOBI if i am in a hurry

The down side of the battery compressor is recharging or carrying 2 batteries

Carry the PC for trips over 2 months or so

If you're airing tires to 110 psig or higher 150 psig rated is better
Old 01-05-2022, 01:29 PM   #14

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
I have a portable 120v Porter Cable pancake type 150 psi.. Food for thought, if you need 120psi minimum, look for a compressor rated at 150. Due to the duty cycle, MOST if not all 120 psi models won't fill a 120psi tire. You may only get a usable 100 out of them. I got a Viair 90 I carry in the toad that has to be connected directly to the battery but it will top off my tires eventually.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:52 PM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Agree on the Porter Cable. Never had to air tires with it but I have done a few quick dry winterizations during surprise cold snaps.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:20 PM   #16

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Another thing to watch for is the method used to connect the hose, adapters and chucks (inflator nozzles). I have a bag of assorted tools/adapters/chucks I have collected over the years - they are all compatible with "standard" 1/4" "industrial" NPT fittings size - AND they all fit my "standard" Bostitch 1/4" pancake compressor.

Last summer I bought what I THOUGHT might be a good compromise between portability, function and price. While the "function and price" categories were fulfilled using my pancake compressor, that thing is HUGE and heavy... you already know the downside.

The HF was similar to this one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-15...sor-63184.html

Considering it's 1/5 the price of a ViAir, I was skeptical - but whatever... I could buy 4 of them and throw them away as they bit the dust, and STILL be cheaper than a single ViAir!

I got the HF compressor home and had high hopes. I got all set up to try it out. First problem was the inability to swap out "industrial" sized chucks from my bag of goodies. Anyone with duallies knows the gymnastics involved to reach those valve stems. Without going down a rabbit hole on air compressor fittings and sizes, I quickly figured out that NOTHING in my bag of goodies would fit this thing.

Any compressor I buy MUST be compatible with my existing air chucks. Many of the myriad of portable compressors make it difficult to see if they use standard fitting sizes for attaching a typical 1/4" air hose like used on my Bostitch pancake compressor.

So back to HF it went. In the meantime, I occasionally "look and dream" about finding a better, more portable - REASONABLY priced - solution. I refuse to pay a $150 to $200 "convenience fee" for a ViAir equivalent to my Bostitch. I paid something far south of $200 for my Bostitch "kit" which included 2 nail guns and a staple gun! That same kit is around $200 today - STILL much cheaper than an equivalent ViAir.

There's a gazillion ViAir knock-offs from China - all basically the same compressor with different labels/branding. Those guys in those factories over there are pretty crafty with reverse engineering - still waiting on one of them to focus on the RV market. Meanwhile if the EQUIVALENT RV ViAir price came down to a REASONABLE $150...
Old 01-05-2022, 03:37 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Entire family uses this for MH bikes etc.
Set psi and let it go!
No plug in.
Charges quickly.
Small
Powerful

Milwaukee M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Compact Inflator Kit W/ 4.0Ah Battery & Charger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220105-103607_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	35481  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:41 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Also have this and excellent used many times to blow out under ground sprinkler on big property
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220105-104032_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	35482  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:17 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Home Depot, husky 120 volt inflator. Under $40, under 430 on sale, fast enough, quiet and small footprint.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12...Y120/301753174

Old 01-05-2022, 06:06 PM   #20

THOR #13932
I have that husky. It came with my RV.
I started to recommend it but I bet it gets sssssoooo Damn hot at 120psi.
It does great at 60psi.

My last airing up was 2psi into one tire and half to 2 in a couple of others.
So 30seconds to a minute per tire. 9,000 miles between checking(tpms tells me, but I was bored)
Altitude and temp were probably the soul factors.

I had a similar sized 12v 1cfm abs compressor and 5 gallon remote tank mounted to the offroader when I bought it. It worked fine for what would be rv type air adds. It did not work fine for 11psi to 25psi air-ups on 32x11x15.

For those who read this and do not need 120psi:
The battery milwaukee above and the 18v ryobi are impossible to complain about.
My ryobi does everything I need here and has pressure auto shut off.
With wheel barrows to tractors I'm probably at 80plus tires on the place.

Note:
Ryobi things on the RV
Compressor
Impact wrench
Compact Flashlight
3gallon wet dry vacuum
400psi washer
Three 4 amp batteries.
110v charger
12v charger