Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Oklahoma
THOR #14018
Black Tank Valves (Why 2)?

Just trying to get acquainted with our new Vegas 25.5. Was looking under rear of coach at the heater pad that had come loose and was hanging down and noticed an additional black tank valve at the outlet of the black tank that I was not aware of. If hooked up to waste drain at RV park wouldn't I want both valves open. Appreciate an education if you please.
thanks
Tdp

Old 01-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Are you talking about an additional valve that's "upstream" from the one that's closest to where you hook up the slinky?
I had one on my Outlaw also...
I kind of decided that it was there to offer some "insurance: if the other one failed.
I used it while I was on the road; but would open it up once I got hooked up at a Park...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:24 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdpinokc View Post
Just trying to get acquainted with our new Vegas 25.5. Was looking under rear of coach at the heater pad that had come loose and was hanging down and noticed an additional black tank valve at the outlet of the black tank that I was not aware of. If hooked up to waste drain at RV park wouldn't I want both valves open. Appreciate an education if you please.
thanks
Tdp

It's my practice and opinion that you don't want either of them open at the campground unless you're actively dumping nearly full tanks. It's better to let the "soup" build up in the tanks, break down a bit, then empty when they are nearly full. Keeping them open will keep them empty, allowing the solid "poop" to hit the bottom of the tank, stick and stay. some call it a "poop pyramid", and will cause problems down the road.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
unless you have two bathrooms, and two black tanks, I see no reason you would have an additional 'black tank' outlet and valve.... do you have two black tanks?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Oklahoma
THOR #14018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Are you talking about an additional valve that's "upstream" from the one that's closest to where you hook up the slinky?
I had one on my Outlaw also...
I kind of decided that it was there to offer some "insurance: if the other one failed.
I used it while I was on the road; but would open it up once I got hooked up at a Park...

Yep, It's upstream (at the outlet of the black tank pipe) of the outlet hook up for RV waste.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:52 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
There has been some discussion about the 2nd valve before:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...ves-10459.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...alve-5158.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:16 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I think that it's there so that you can play a joke on your Brother-In-Law...
(Make sure that it's closed...)
When you're getting ready to dump the tank: tell him to open it up when you yell for him to do so...
Now: you head on over to that second valve, and wait...
Yell for him to let 'er rip... Let him say something like "What the Hell: nothing is coming out!"
When he walks over to pick the end out of the sewer connection (somebody WILL do this...): give it about three more seconds, and then pull the lever!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1547853360
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Humor 30.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	15193  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:07 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdpinokc View Post
Yep, It's upstream (at the outlet of the black tank pipe) of the outlet hook up for RV waste.
It so you can travel in freezing weather with water in the heated tanks and have that long line under the coach dry and not filled with ice when you go to dump.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #9

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
unless you have two bathrooms, and two black tanks, I see no reason you would have an additional 'black tank' outlet and valve.... do you have two black tanks?
We have one toilet, one black tank, and believe what Beau388 says is right about winter time travel.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
It so you can travel in freezing weather with water in the heated tanks and have that long line under the coach dry and not filled with ice when you go to dump.
I think this is correct.

Traditionally toilets were more often installed on driver side of coach with black tank directly under it so discharge line was very short, but full wall slides (commonly on driver side) make that difficult, so many newer floorplans have toilet on passenger side. That makes a longer cross-coach discharge line necessary, and they add a second valve at the tank.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #11

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Might be a safety thing. If there is a pipe going along underneath from side to side and something in the road hits it then the first valve will prevent losing the waste all over the road???? Maybe. I've got that setup on my 28z.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I also have two black tank valves. One up stream before the long crossover tube to the dump valve on the driver's side. There are two reasons for two valves. If while driving you damage the long crossover pipe from the tank to the dump valve on the driver's side there won't be anything leaking as long as the upstream black tank valve is closed. Next reason is so that if you are camping in freezing weather, the long crossover black tank line doesn't freeze since it is not heated like the black tank. If the fluid freezes inside the long crossover tube you can't dump your black tank until it thaws. When you dump, open the driver side dump valve after connecting to the dump station and then open the upstream black tank valve on the passenger side which also creates a greater pull from the black water to help clean out all fluids/solids from the black tank. Then close the upstream tank valve and allow the fluids to drain out of the long cross over tube before closing the driver side black tank valve.