Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor 29M Hurricane
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7934
Cable not getting any channels after scan.

My cable is not working. New coaxial from supply to camper. It worked the first time a few months ago. Have been at 4 RV parks and none work. Run through scan. It is very slow, and 0 channels. What could be wrong. On the box, top of the DVD player, what is input 1 and input 2? There's a button to change it, now 1 is blue light and 2 is red.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:38 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #9747
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCK52 View Post
My cable is not working. New coaxial from supply to camper. It worked the first time a few months ago. Have been at 4 RV parks and none work. Run through scan. It is very slow, and 0 channels. What could be wrong. On the box, top of the DVD player, what is input 1 and input 2? There's a button to change it, now 1 is blue light and 2 is red.
I have a 29M Windsport. To get cable I have to turn off the antenna booster. It is a small button on a panel mounted on the wall to the left and above the switch box. It is very hard to see.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
The four likely possibilities:
  • The antenna booster is on (as Az Ernie said)
  • The selector switch in RV is not set to CABLE for that TV...
  • The signal source on the TV menu is not set to CABLE
  • The park(s) use a QAM system which some TVs are not compatible with and you were just lucky the first time...

The first 3 are cheap fixes... The fourth needs a converter box or new TV.
I've hit the first 3 of those 4 at various times...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:42 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
The four likely possibilities:
  • The antenna booster is on (as Az Ernie said)
  • The selector switch in RV is not set to CABLE for that TV...
  • The signal source on the TV menu is not set to CABLE
  • The park(s) use a QAM system which some TVs are not compatible with and you were just lucky the first time...

The first 3 are cheap fixes... The fourth needs a converter box or new TV.
I've hit the first 3 of those 4 at various times...
One more possibility. I had almost the same issue and tried everything all the guys on this forum suggested, none worked. I purchased a coax tester and tested the coax inside the coach from the OTA amp wallplate to the external cable port (which was brand new and had worked once, just like yours). It tested "open". I took it into the dealer and the problem was; when they put the connector on the end of the coax, they didn't strip the coax far enough back and exposed wire was not long enough and had lost its connection to the back side of the outside cable port even though the connector was tightly connected and looked and felt good. They restripped the wire, put on a new connector with a longer exposed wire and it fixed my problem. The reason it worked once is that it probably was making a good connection until it got bounced around driving down the highways and byways. Might be worthwhile to check that, too - just use a coax tester and make sure the coax is still testing good. Good luck.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #5216
QAM Tuners

I am having the same problem. All 3 of my TVs in Axis 24.1 are SEIKI models that do not have QAM tuners. Why did Thor install cable hookup and 3 TVs that can not receive cable channels? Just in case I will check coax tester idea.

Can the cable connection be used to hook up Direct TV satellite? If not, how have others installed satellite in their Axis? Weingard says their satellite systems do not require QAM tuners. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:26 PM   #6

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCVolkman View Post
I am having the same problem. All 3 of my TVs in Axis 24.1 are SEIKI models that do not have QAM tuners. Why did Thor install cable hookup and 3 TVs that can not receive cable channels? Just in case I will check coax tester idea.

Can the cable connection be used to hook up Direct TV satellite? If not, how have others installed satellite in their Axis? Weingard says their satellite systems do not require QAM tuners. Thanks.
GC, I think a buyer at Thor probably bought a few thousand TVs at the best price they found, which just happened to be Seiki, assuming that all TVs for about the last ten years had that capability built into them. They didn't know until dissatisfied customers started complaining that they had a problem.

In answer to your question about running satellite through the cable connection, you can, but have to bypass the OTA amplifier. There are several threads on the forums about how to do that. If you have trouble finding them, let me know and I think I can find them for you. Thor even sent me a set of instructions on how to do it, but some of the guys on here had better instructions than the ones Thor sent, even including photos. There are also some YouTube videos on how to do that mod. My coax was bad and I just had the dealer do that mod for me when he fixed the coax. They charged me about $150 to do it. If I wasn't getting other work done in that same area, I would have saved the money and did it myself - it is a really simple mod. Some of the folks on here have just installed a dedicated satellite connection just like the cable connection on the outside of their rig.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 03-02-2018, 03:06 AM   #7

State: Washington
THOR #5216
Can anyone send me instructions on how to bypass the OTA and how to install satellite? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:14 AM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Alabama
THOR #10222
If I’m not mistaken there is a power switch on coaxial plug plate should be where you hook something up to it inside the rv cabinets, it’s a push button power amplifier switch
Old 03-02-2018, 05:17 AM   #9

THOR #8503
Quote:
Can anyone send me instructions on how to bypass the OTA and how to install satellite? Thanks.
There were several posts in these forums a few months ago that had instructions, some with detailed pictures, but I can't find them now. I will keep looking and if I do find them, I will post a link. Maybe someone else remembers where they were.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 03-02-2018, 06:20 PM   #10

THOR #8503
Quote:
GC, here is one article on how to do the bypass. I have seen others I like better, but can't find them now. I'll keep looking:

RV Satellite Cable Receptacle Rewiring | ModMyRV
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 03-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #11

THOR #8503
Quote:
GC, here are a set of instructions I think are better:

http://www.flamingsquid.com/images/satellite_rewire.pdf
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 03-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #12

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
If it's prewired for satellite the cable/OTA should not be connected to those cables. Mine has completely separate cables strictly for satellite.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1520018113
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Love the outdors from indoors.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	9225  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #14

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
There is another possibility. I have a SAMSUNG Smart TV in the main room. It has both the ATSC and QAM tuners. When I got to Santa Barbara, the cable did not work. It was because the cable companies are now encrypting their signals. The office had a cable box for free that they let me borrow.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:42 PM   #15

Model: hurricane 29m
State: Arkansas
THOR #7095
Need help.
Replaced all 3 seiki TVs with vizio’s.
Antenna booster off
When I hook cable to coach and scan for channels I get about 10 out of 100 listed, no digital all analog. And 7 of the 10 channels very snowy. Same on all 3 TVs.
Unhook cable from coach and directly to outside tv and I get all 100 channels even the digital.
******while unhooking cable multiple times during this, it is giving me a little shock from my coach side.
What am I missing?
Old 03-18-2018, 11:05 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjeepjk View Post
Need help.
Replaced all 3 seiki TVs with vizio’s.
Antenna booster off
When I hook cable to coach and scan for channels I get about 10 out of 100 listed, no digital all analog. And 7 of the 10 channels very snowy. Same on all 3 TVs.
Unhook cable from coach and directly to outside tv and I get all 100 channels even the digital.
******while unhooking cable multiple times during this, it is giving me a little shock from my coach side.
What am I missing?
I hope that this doesn't sound too stupid...
Have you checked to make sure that all of the connections are solid, and that all cables are allowing a good signal to get through?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:23 PM   #17

THOR #7095
All coax to back of tv’s, yes
I also get about 60 digital channels on my roof antenna with the antenna booster turned on. It when I turn booster off and scan for cable that I can’t get anything.
Is there an internal switch that I need to flip to go from antenna to cable? Why am I getting shocked from the coach coax when unhooking from coach?
Old 03-19-2018, 12:00 AM   #18

THOR #7095
2017 hurricane 29m
Old 03-19-2018, 12:33 AM   #19

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Are you making sure that the TV scan is for air or cable?

Over the air:
Amplifier on
TV set to scan air channels

Cable Connection
Amplifier off
TV set to scan cable channels
Old 03-19-2018, 12:40 AM   #20
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You should not be getting shocked from the coax cable - period.

How can you compare OTA channels to cable channels? OTA with amplifier is what you get. No amp = no channels. No amp is correct for cable.

Most cable companies only supply a few local unencrypted analog channels if any at all. When they went completely digital, they substituted the "free" few unencrypted digital QAM for the analog channels. Now, most major cable providers provide zero unencrypted digital QAM channels; all channels are encrypted and you need a box for every single TV to get any channels.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote