Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Axis WFCO converter/charger replacement

I bit the bullet and purchased a Progressive Dynamics 4655 converter/ charger which is a direct replacement for the WFCO converter/charger in the Axis. I could have fought with Thor to replace the WFCO since I am still under warrantee for a few more weeks, but I have never been happy with the two WCFO's that I have had in my Vegas and Axis so I didn't bother. In my new Axis it never charged in the boost mode and never went into storage mode and only charged my two 29 batteries to about 12.6v tops.

While the replacement was not that difficult, it did take the better part of an afternoon because I had to stabilize the new one so it did not slide around and enlarge some of the holes in the from cover so the new fuse board would fit. Not too difficult. There are some excellent YouTube videos out there on the replacement, so I won't go into details.

The PD 4655 has ,what they call, a "Charge Wizard" which works like a charm. It immediately went into boost mode, then normal mode and storage mode and charged my two 29's and my chassis battery to 12.9v. The batteries are not going bad afterall.

The Charge Wizard Operation:

While the built-in Charge Wizard  automatically determines which operating mode is best suited to recharge or maintain opti-mum battery condition, the Wizard Mode Button allows for manual override and has an indicator light to indicate the mode of operation. (Located on DC board, included)

BOOST MODE – Indicated by green LED remaining on. The output voltage is 14.4VDC to rapidly recharge the battery up to 90% of full charge.

NORMAL MODE – When the battery is between 50% and 90% charged, the green LED will flash once per second. When the battery has reached 90% of full charge, the green LED will flash 2 - 3 times per second. In this mode the output voltage is 13.6VDC and the converter is safely completing the charge of the battery.

STORAGE MODE – Indicated by green LED flashing every 6 - 8 seconds. In this mode the output voltage has been lowered to 13.2VDC, the RV battery is fully charged and the converter is maintaining the charge.

WIZARD MODE BUTTON - The manual button has been provided to allow the operator to temporarily override the con-verter (not recommended) or to verify the converter is operating properly. For manual operation, Press and Hold the button. The indicator light will soon remain “ON” indicating Boost Mode. Continue to hold the button and the light will blink rapidly indicating the converter is in the Normal Mode. Continue to hold the button until the light blinks slowly indicating the con-verter is now in the Storage Mode. After the manual button is released the converter will stay in the selected mode. When the battery charge status changes, the converter will return to the automatic mode of operation to prevent damage to the battery.

Every 21 hours it also goes into a Desulfation mode for 15 minutes boosting the batteries to 14.4 volts to help prevent battery stratification and sulfation.

I also bought the optional pendant which allows external operation and monitoring of the PD4655. You put it on the wall above the converter and you can change modes or see what mode it it in without opening the door and crawling on the floor.

So far I am very happy with my switch and I think it will allow my to recharge my batteries much faster and more safely "in the field" and lead to longer battery life. We'll see.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Did you replace the WFCO DC power distribution panel with the new one that came with the PD4655? It is my understanding that the new panel has no 30 amp DC circuits. On my 2015 Vegas the fuse is position 10 is 30 amp for the slide motors. Did you reuse the old board and only have to remove the two charging wires changed the charging unit?

You mention buying the pendant. I assume that was because you were not able to use the charge mode light and selector button that is located on the new board. The pendant is what you use to monitor mode and manually override because you did not use the new DC power board.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:13 AM   #3

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I did use the new board as well as the converter/charter and the new board has 10 fuse positions for up to 30 amp fuses as well as two low amp recepticals - one of which I used for the one 5 amp fuse in the old board. (The old board has 11 fuse positions) The 30 amp fuse in the old board (for the slide motors) transferred to the new board as did the nine 15amp and one 5 amp fuse.

There are seven wires to move to the new board. The three AC wires from the old board and the two large battery wires as well as the two wires from the new converter/charger unit. You also have to move the wires from the 11 fuse holders on the old board to the new board.

I purchased the pendant ($15) because it bypasses the new board and you can mount it on the wall above the converter box and monitor the mode and manually override the system without having to crawl on the floor and open up the door to the converter. (The less crawling on the floor I do, the better my knees like it). It is for convenience only. The button and light on the new board perform the same functions if you do not purchase and install the pendant.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:26 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Thanks for the clarification. Glad the new board can take 30 amp fuses. Moved this mod up to the top of my list.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:22 AM   #5

Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
Just had to replace the converter in our 2016 Chateau(1 year and 3 wks old). It was already losing power only putting out around 12.2v. I just slid the old converter out of the panel box below the breakers, cut the wires. Then I cut out the back of the box to give more room and installed an intellipower converter deck model in its place. Just took the power wires and wired a female socket to plug it in. Then hooked up the 12v wires and slid it back in the box. Then put two screws into the slots on the converter into the bottom of the box to hold it in place. I ran the control module into the breaker box so I could see it.

I had this converter form my 5th wheel. The WFCO one in there went out shortly after the one year warranty. I bought this one and sent the WFCO one back to factory for repair. They give a two year warranty but you have to send it to them and it took about 3 months to get back. When I traded the 5th wheel in, I took out my good one and put the repaired one back in. good thing now I didn't have to buy one.