Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3401
State: Colorado
THOR #8300
Exclamation 2017 ACE 29.4 Slides IN with Generator Running?

New owner question...

We had the occasion to dry camp (without hookups) in a narrow spot so did not open the 2 slides. We ran the generator and both AC units. In the morning the CO2 detector went off.

Should we not be running the generator with the slides IN?

I could not find anything in the manual that addresses this.

Thank you in advance.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Should not make a difference, but your exhaust has a long run to the back of the coach. Might want to check it for leaks.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #3

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Should not make a difference, but your exhaust has a long run to the back of the coach. Might want to check it for leaks.
First and foremost i'd dang sure be checking for exhaust leaks with the slides in. Aside from that I wouldn't think it would make a difference.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Illinois
THOR #7157
With the slides in on a very hot and humid night, just stopped for some shut eye. A/C running, windows & vents shut, generator running. 2 hours later the CO2 detector went off. Our dog on the floor was lethargic and not responsive. We grabbed him and we went outside for air. I went back inside and opened some windows and reset the alarm. It took 40 minutes before the alarm stayed reset and quit going off. The dog eventually got back to normal. Now this is a 2017 Challenger 37kt. And that scared the hell out us. If that detector didn't go off I would not be making these comments. After we got home I found that there was no tail pipe or was one ever on this unit. I did a complete inspection and spray foamed anything that was questionable. What I found was the worst was at the entry door and the steps. No seal at all!! I took it to the muffler shop and they installed the tail pipe to exhaust next to the engine exhaust. Ran a 4 hr test to prove to my wife it's fixed. All is ok now.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:48 PM   #5

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Lynn S View Post
With the slides in on a very hot and humid night, just stopped for some shut eye. A/C running, windows & vents shut, generator running. 2 hours later the CO2 detector went off. Our dog on the floor was lethargic and not responsive. We grabbed him and we went outside for air. I went back inside and opened some windows and reset the alarm. It took 40 minutes before the alarm stayed reset and quit going off. The dog eventually got back to normal. Now this is a 2017 Challenger 37kt. And that scared the hell out us. If that detector didn't go off I would not be making these comments. After we got home I found that there was no tail pipe or was one ever on this unit. I did a complete inspection and spray foamed anything that was questionable. What I found was the worst was at the entry door and the steps. No seal at all!! I took it to the muffler shop and they installed the tail pipe to exhaust next to the engine exhaust. Ran a 4 hr test to prove to my wife it's fixed. All is ok now.

That story scares the hell out of me and further wish I hadn't bought my Challenger.
Life is too short.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:49 AM   #6

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Quote:
Scares me too! We're dry camping at Talladega in the fall. Thoughts on if an exhaust venting system would help?
Old 08-03-2017, 12:56 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
Scares me too! We're dry camping at Talladega in the fall. Thoughts on if an exhaust venting system would help?
A lot of times it just depends on which way the wind is blowing, if it makes the exhaust come back toward the coach it's going to cause a problem

For exhaust venting a system that directs the gases up is required in many places like NASCAR tracks or other events. You can either buy a Genturi exhaust system, I think they're great, or build your own. There are videos on YouTube on how to build your own system. You can buy a Genturi direct from Amazon or get one at Camping World.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:09 AM   #8

THOR #7157
Quote:

I'm not sure what that would be. Check from the exhaust manifold all the way to the end of the tail pipe for exhaust leaks. Get a can of spray foam and inspect every floor penetration and the entry door and steps. Seal it up. The perfect storm we ran into was it was in the upper 90's high humidity and not any breeze. CO2 is heavier than air and typically would go down to the ground. But the air density and the lack of a tail pipe the gas hung up under the rig. With both A/C' running I think it helped to draw on the exhaust gas thru the stairwell and door. I'm sure we have fixed the problem but my wife will always be suspect.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:11 AM   #9

THOR #7157
Quote:
I'm not sure what that would be. Check from the exhaust manifold all the way to the end of the tail pipe for exhaust leaks. Get a can of spray foam and inspect every floor penetration and the entry door and steps. Seal it up. The perfect storm we ran into was it was in the upper 90's high humidity and not any breeze. CO2 is heavier than air and typically would go down to the ground. But the air density and the lack of a tail pipe the gas hung up under the rig. With both A/C' running I think it helped to draw on the exhaust gas thru the stairwell and door. I'm sure we have fixed the problem but my wife will always be suspect.

Oh and I will add another CO2 detector in the bedroom soon.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:13 AM   #10

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
Quote:

Went to Dega too, at the time we stayed at Winners Walk and didn't have anyone very close.
At the end of this month we're heading for Darlington. We rent two lots to give us plenty of room. This is our first race with the motor home and have the exhaust extension that goes above the roof.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:31 AM   #11

THOR #6310
Quote:
Will do as you did, for sure. Thanks!

This is the exhaust venting thing I am thinking we need for Talladega.
Gen-turi Generator Exhaust System - Camco 44461 - Automotive Accessories - Camping World
Old 08-03-2017, 01:32 AM   #12

THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick kirby View Post
Went to Dega too, at the time we stayed at Winners Walk and didn't have anyone very close.
At the end of this month we're heading for Darlington. We rent two lots to give us plenty of room. This is our first race with the motor home and have the exhaust extension that goes above the roof.
Is it permanently attached to your rig, or can it be removed for storage?
Old 08-03-2017, 02:04 AM   #13

THOR #5196
Quote:
Will do as you did, for sure. Thanks!

This is the exhaust venting thing I am thinking we need for Talladega.
Gen-turi Generator Exhaust System - Camco 44461 - Automotive Accessories - Camping World
That's exactly what you need, works great! I would recommend you get the suction cup mounts to attach the exhaust pipe to the coach, no drilling or mounting required. The Genturi has a nice case to keep all the pieces together.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:05 AM   #14

THOR #5196
Quote:
Is it permanently attached to your rig, or can it be removed for storage?
It is removable, breaks down and fits in a storage bag.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:22 AM   #15
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
First certainly glad you are ok... Detectors work for something we can't smell/detect ourselves - and a reason to insure we all test our detectors... and maybe add one.

It is CO (carbon monoxide), and not CO2 (carbon dioxide) that is the killer. And it is not heavier than air - it is slightly lighter and it mixes quite well into the air unfortunately so can appear at any level... (CO2 is heavier than air - but not what we are concerned with).
In RV's the supplied CO detectors are typically near the floor because they are also LP detectors - and LP is heavier than air.

The lack of a tailpipe on the genny was a huge contributor in my opinion... A functioning tailpipe wouldn't release CO directly under the RV to come in through cracks... Sealing them up certainly doesn't hurt..

A genturi type exhaust that runs up above the roof line is even better... Of course still requires no exhaust leaks below.

I lost the tailpipe on my 2000 Infinity when is was about 12 years old... Happened to notice it on a 'walk around' - only one pipe where the two exhausts used to be. Had an auto shop create a new one to replace.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
co2 detector, generator use, slides in