Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2021, 12:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Pallazo 37.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #18017
Carefree awning extends on it's own

I have a 2019 Palazzo 37.4 with 2-Carefree Latitude awnings. I never leave awnings extended when leaving the coach. Last week, after returning, the front awning had fully extended, on it's own, and locked in place. It was rather windy, and neither the switch to retract as well as the awning motion sensor worked to retract. No fuses blown. I had to remove awning motor to get it in. Never heard of an awning fully extending like this, on it's own. Any ideas?

Old 11-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Ulrich View Post
I have a 2019 Palazzo 37.4 with 2-Carefree Latitude awnings. I never leave awnings extended when leaving the coach. Last week, after returning, the front awning had fully extended, on it's own, and locked in place. It was rather windy, and neither the switch to retract as well as the awning motion sensor worked to retract. No fuses blown. I had to remove awning motor to get it in. Never heard of an awning fully extending like this, on it's own. Any ideas?
Generally the awning motor serves as a brake when the awning is retracted. If the motor is bad or the wires are disconnected the braking part of the motor will not function.

I had a Dometic awning extend at 55 mph on I95. Not fun in any way. In my case the awning was installed per instructions but the instructions written by Dometic were incorrect. At that time Forest River didn’t track awning serial numbers installed on rigs they they didn’t know who had the improperly installed awnings until a rig went in for service and they could verify serial numbers or an awning deployed which was my case. Luckily we were returning from a 300 mile trip and were only 3 miles from home when it happened. Dometic paid for everything to include side wall damage when the awning ripped loose from the coach.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:48 PM   #3

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Not sure if this is the same issue, but the firefly system in our coaches had a bug in late 2019 early 2020. Lights would turn on by them selves, awnings would extend and retract on their own. You might want to give firefly a call. They will send you a USB to update the firmware, that is if this is the problem.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:52 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
Not sure if this is the same issue, but the firefly system in our coaches had a bug in late 2019 early 2020. Lights would turn on by them selves, awnings would extend and retract on their own. You might want to give firefly a call. They will send you a USB to update the firmware, that is if this is the problem.
Yes, the same problem....
Our coach at a certain point seemed "possessed" with lights dimming at their own will, the front bed lifting on its own, etc...
It was an interesting "experience"...

They end up changing the Firefly module after trying a software update....

That was good for I could not find a pastor that agreed to proceed with an exorcism on a 34ft coach....haha
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:40 AM   #5

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Awning Ez Blocker

Finally got the Carefree Awning Ez Blocker installed, shows a very nice way to cut down the sunshine on the outside TV and makes a good divider between RV Spots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side shade.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	35021  
Old 11-28-2021, 01:46 AM   #6

THOR #19102
I have been thinking about one of these. Does it roll up. Or do you have to remove it each time.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:57 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
That's a sweet idea for a sun block... could have used that many times!
Old 11-28-2021, 02:30 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
I have been thinking about one of these. Does it roll up. Or do you have to remove it each time.
Removed each time in the secondary slot.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #9

THOR #22342
This EZ Blocker is the 15' x 9' screen. The screen comes in 2 pieces, the top part is a 2' screen with a zipper on the bottom. The lower part is zipped into the upper part. When not in use they provide a nice carrying case. I have added a green line at the separation line below.

The upper portion has a inner plastic chord that slips into your awning rail. There is an opening in the end cover on the non motorized side. I applied a little soapy water to groove and the upper portion slide in nicely.

It rolls up in your awing, and is not visible. I adjusted the awning to slant down so the 9' length of the Blocker sit 6-8 inches off of the ground. You then secure with bungee chords with stakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-11-28_9-23-40.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	35025  
Old 11-30-2021, 01:14 PM   #10

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
This EZ Blocker is the 15' x 9' screen. The screen comes in 2 pieces, the top part is a 2' screen with a zipper on the bottom. The lower part is zipped into the upper part. When not in use they provide a nice carrying case. I have added a green line at the separation line below.

The upper portion has a inner plastic chord that slips into your awning rail. There is an opening in the end cover on the non motorized side. I applied a little soapy water to groove and the upper portion slide in nicely.

It rolls up in your awing, and is not visible. I adjusted the awning to slant down so the 9' length of the Blocker sit 6-8 inches off of the ground. You then secure with bungee chords with stakes.
Just curious, did you try to roll the awning in with the whole thing attached? If so what were the results?
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:17 PM   #11

THOR #22342
Roll entire EZ Blocker in awning mechanism.

NO! I don't think the roller system could handle that much fabric in the roller and close the mechanism to the RV. This would be a good question for the folks at Carefree in CO.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:08 PM   #12

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Just curious, did you try to roll the awning in with the whole thing attached? If so what were the results?
Zipping it in and out only takes 2 minutes.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:22 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Ulrich View Post
Note to self: If a product is labeled "Carefree"... it just might NOT be...