Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2023, 10:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Oregon
THOR #24903
Inverter Generator?

We want to add an inverter generator to our 2019 Four Winds F24 for use in campgrounds. Looking at both the Honda EU3000iS and the Westinghouse igen4500. Any thoughts on these options, or a better one? We do want to be able to use the AC. I have had good experience with Honda products, however the Westinghouse is less than half the price and has more power.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
When you say "add", do you mean replace the built-in Onan generator Or carry one as an outside generator?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:25 PM   #3

THOR #24903
Sorry, I meant an additional generator, keeping the original Onan also.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:29 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
They are not solid citizen, concerned for others, type devices.

Almost universally unwelcome, and certainly a selfish thing in RV parks.

Others will SCREAM differently.
Weigh it all carefully.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:35 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #7035
What would be the advantage if running the A/C is the goal? Quieter? Probably not much at A/C load levels. Have you looked at the Gen-Turi RV Generator Exhaust Venting System?
Old 06-07-2023, 12:25 AM   #6

THOR #24903
I am very sensitive to the sound level, hence the two I am looking at. I understand campgrounds need to be under 60 Db at 50 feet, which is equivalent to normal conversation. The Honda at full load is 57Db, and in most cases would be at 52Db. From what I can find the Westinghouse is about the same. I have been around the Honda generators, you need to be close to even tell if they are running. I have looked at add-ons for the Onan exhaust, even then they are too noisy.

I only want this for situations where we are dry camping, either by ourselves or at a family event in a group campground.
Old 06-07-2023, 12:44 AM   #7

THOR #13932
You're telling a different story than your initial campground story.

Old 06-07-2023, 12:51 AM   #8

THOR #24903
Sorry, I did err in my statement, I primarily want it as described, however would like to be able to use it in local campgrounds if it is suitable.
Old 06-07-2023, 12:56 AM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBo1953 View Post
Sorry, I did err in my statement, I primarily want it as described, however would like to be able to use it in local campgrounds if it is suitable.
Most campgrounds that allow generators (like National Parks) have generator hours that don't include overnight A/C times.
Old 06-07-2023, 01:03 AM   #10

THOR #13932
A 3000w inverter and a bank of lithium is the answer.
IF it's a generator sound limit/time and not a general sound limit.

Old 06-07-2023, 04:08 AM   #11

THOR #24903
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
A 3000w inverter and a bank of lithium is the answer.
IF it's a generator sound limit/time and not a general sound limit.
OK, circling back to the original question. Both generators I mentioned are inverters and are 3000w or more. Anyone have experience with them, or a good alternate one?
Old 06-07-2023, 12:23 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBo1953 View Post
OK, circling back to the original question. Both generators I mentioned are inverters and are 3000w or more. Anyone have experience with them, or a good alternate one?
I’m on second Westinghouse, though smaller 2200/1800 Watt inverter generator.

I selected Westinghouse over Honda 2200/1800 because fuel tank was significantly larger and was rated to run longer at same load. My goal was to power small air conditioner overnight without refueling, which it does. Tank is 1.3 gallons versus Honda’s 0.95 gallons. I did not want to mess with extended fueling tanks — outside storage too limited already.

It did not hurt that Amazon was running a promotion and I got it for roughly 1/3 the cost of a Honda, or that it paid for itself the first weekend we saved two nights in a hotel during football weekend.

The sound (noise) rating was similar to Honda but to my ears it is definitely louder. Honda sound solid and mine sound rough, like about to throw a rod or something. It’s not that loud, but sound quality not as pleasant to hear. Neither Westinghouse purrs like a Honda.

After a few years of use when Covid hit my first Westinghouse sat idle for over a year and wouldn’t start afterwards. I was temporarily living out of state and paid to have it cleaned out. It worked fine for a season but after that got harder to start weekly for exercise.

Unlike Honda that have authorized dealers that will service and repair, I’m pretty much on my own. That’s the biggest difference overall. In retrospect I should have gotten a Honda.

I got a second Westinghouse as replacement for same reason (cheap on Amazon and larger tank) and because I have been looking for a van with either Onan built-in inverter generator or lithium batteries. I really do not like screwing around with portable generators and was not expecting to keep it very long. For what it’s worth, the newer model Westinghouse sounds worse to me than first. Not louder, just not as smooth.

P.S. — During football weekends there are 100s of generators running everywhere, and one that I would evaluate if buying again is Generac. Their portable inverter generators are not quite as quiet as Honda but cost much less, though generally more than equivalent-size Westinghouse. I have no experience with Generac so can’t recommend — only know they sound a little better to my ears than Westinghouse.
Old 06-07-2023, 01:28 PM   #13

THOR #24903
Chance, Thanks, this is just the type of information I was looking for. I will check out the Generac generators. I was concerned about the Westinghouse as i ahve not been able to find a noise level for when it is under load.
Old 06-07-2023, 02:47 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
JimBo, I don’t think you can go wrong with a Honda provided cost is not an issue (I often decide based on perceived value and sometimes get it wrong).

One other detail I considered back when I got first Westinghouse was that Honda generators were more likely to get stolen because they cost more and are also more desirable. That’s probably not as big an issue anymore but influenced me because having a van I would not be storing out of sight to same degree as a motorhome. During football weekends generator would be left unattended for many hours. Turns out most tailgaters leave their generators out and theft doesn’t seem to be a major problem.

Tags
generator