Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: New York
THOR #15098
"Check gas cap" dash alert

This may seem trivial, but it drives me nuts. Had a problem with the "check engine light" on my 2016 Outlaw. Solved that with a new gas cap. But then, after a couple trips, the "check gas cap" light appeared on the dash, and it won't go away, even after disconnecting the vehicle battery for 30 minutes. Something about a "flapper" in the gas fill neck? I don't see one in mine. Is it right near the opening, or further in the neck? And if it's missing, do I have to replace the whole neck assembly?

Old 09-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
That's a new light to me...never seen that specific one. Wife's new car is the "no gas cap" setup with two flapper type devices in the neck about an inch apart...no gas cap. I would call a Ford dealer on this one.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #3

THOR #15098
"check gas cap" dash alert

Yeah Gritz, it was new to me too. Had to look it up at a Ford site online. At first I thought it was need gas. Anyway, I did call the dealer, and got some snotty service rep (as usual), who told me the whole neck assembly would have to be replaced. I'll see if I can find a pic of the gas filler to see if the so-called "flapper" is supposed to be right at the mouth of the opening, or if it's farther down the pipe.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #4

THOR #11130
Based on that, I would just purchase the assembly and DIY. The chassis' are delivered with that assembly connected to the fill hose and just wire-tied into place, awaiting the body to go on. All assuming how easy it would be to get to it depending on how the body (MH in this case) was "built around it". Some of those assemblies are short and others up to 2' long. Since it's part of the emission system it should be covered under warranty.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #5

THOR #15098
But the warranty is up, I believe, unless it's 5 year and 60000 miles for the emissions system. And the other problem is the only local Ford dealer that will do any work on my rig has told me in the past that they may have to have the vehicle for up to 6-8 weeks because they only have one lift capable of handling the RV, so when they get something to fill that lift, they leave it on there until they get the parts they need to fix it. Hence my remark in the previous post about snotty service reps. I truly believe that was a tale told to me because the RV was still under warranty when I first took it to them. No sense in them looking at something that they may have to repair at no cost. But thanks for the tip about replacing the filler myself. I will look for the part on-line.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I wonder if the fuel fill tube and it's parts aren't covered by the federally mandated emissions warranty.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:48 PM   #7

THOR #11130
In as much as it's a "closed system" and the assembly is an integral part, it should be covered under the emission warranty. It falls under the vapor recovery system. The cap alone would not be but anything internal, as the flapper he speaks of, should be. It all falls on the interpretation on the technician at the dealership. As long as it can be unbolted/unscrewed easily, I'd just DIY and be done.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I was thinking about the vapor recovery system as why it should be covered. For me, before I take my coach to a dealer for anything I look at how hard it is to do the work. I also take into account the cost of fuel and time to get to the dealer. If it's something I can do myself in the driveway without to much sweat, I'll give it a whirl. I think I would do a filler neck.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #9

THOR #11130
Dropping the MH off at a dealer involves so much drama with fridge setup, battery management, securing items better for the "idiot test drive", and security in general, etc...plus leaving it for days unknown waiting on them to get to it. If it were a car...no biggie. I was at my local Ford dealer for 1st oil change 2 weeks ago...they had discovered a homeless couple had been stealthily "living" in a customer's MH in the back of the lot for over 6 days!! The dealership had not locked it up. MH was trashed! DIY!!