Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2021, 04:11 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Maryland
THOR #19595
[QUOTE=jgwmjw2;295060]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I too am trying to figure out why the dash cigarette lighter outlets on my 2021 Axis 24.1 don't work. That coach is based on the new E350 chassis and may not match the details for the fuse panels noted in post #8 above which is for 2016-19 E350s.

I'm assuming since your rig is fairly new, it came equipped with a Ford owners manual. Look in there for fuse panels and diagrams. You are looking for a 20 amp Maxi fuse for the "cigar lighter." Owners manual is your first go-to.
2016 Vegas here. Yes 70 is the slot. Fuse was blown when we took delivery and have re-fused twice, 30 amp. Our new Garmin GPS blew it last time. I wonder is using a 40 amp would be asking for trouble?

Old 06-26-2021, 08:47 PM   #22

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
[QUOTE=DebM11;300521]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwmjw2 View Post
2016 Vegas here. Yes 70 is the slot. Fuse was blown when we took delivery and have re-fused twice, 30 amp. Our new Garmin GPS blew it last time. I wonder is using a 40 amp would be asking for trouble?

You should never install a higher rated fuse than that value designed for the circuit because the fuse is protecting the specific circuit wiring for that fuse to allow a load (Garmin etc.) to work. I would be very surprised if a normal working Garmin GPS would blow a 30 amp fuse......but it would be worth inspecting the dash cigar lighter outlet and perhaps even the Garmin 12vdc plug carefully for possible shorted wires or wires that may be bare near connection points and that may then be accidentally shorting somewhere when you plug in.

If the Garmin and its 12vdc plug work OK using some other 12vdc source, then the dash cigar lighter outlet or its physical connections may be the problem. Also some cigar lighter plugs contain their own fuse to protect the cord wiring and are current rated just for the load they are connected to. i would think that the smaller fuse in the Garmin power plug (if equipped) would blow if the Garmin cord was bad.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:52 AM   #23

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Maryland
THOR #19595
Definitely the issue is the cigar outlet itself, sparked this time when Garmin RV GPS was inserted.
Thanks!
Old 06-27-2021, 12:38 PM   #24

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Well you have confirmed there is something wrong with your cigar lighter socket it seems. So the best thing to do is remove your "good fuse" before inspecting or working on the socket so you don't blow another one. i would use a flashlight first to inspect inside the socket to see if there is some foreign debris inside that is causing a short circuit when any device plug is pushed into the socket. If there is no obvious foreign material then perhaps the socket spring mechanism is broken internally and metal parts are causing the short circuit when a plug is inserted. If the socket needs to be replaced or more fully inspected, then you "probably" have to remove both (+ feed from fuse and ground) wires from the socket behind the dash and typically the outer metal body will then unscrew (again behind the dash) allowing the inner main socket body to slip out through the front. Hopefully you just find some metal debris inside the socket which will more easily fix the situation. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:46 AM   #25

State: Wisconsin
THOR #24293
I have a brand new 2022 Thor Vegas. It shipped with both PowerPoints not working. The Ford manual shows two fuses in the fuse box in the engine compartment but both those fuses are fine. It turns out the two PowerPoints are wired together into one circuit. I finally put a toner on The Wire and traced it back to the fuse block under the steering wheel. I did not even know it existed and it doesn't have hardly any functionality. I have taken all the fuses out and tested them and they're fine. My last step will be to put fuses into the place is that there are none. If that doesn't solve it I'll be running new wires. This has been extremely frustrating and emailing back and forth to Thor has been no help. I don't understand how they can build these things if they don't even know what fuse feeds was circuit. I will post bacc to the Forum when I figure this out.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:17 AM   #26

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Please keep us posted. I have exactly the same problem on my 2021 Axis and Thor was absolutely no help. One person told me thr outlets were powered by the converter, another said check in the fuse/relay box in the compartment under the drivers seat, neither were true.

I saw the port power fuses in the Ford manual which said they were in the engine compartment, but there is a rats nest of wire between the outlets and that fuse box.

David
Old 07-24-2021, 01:14 PM   #27

Model: Challenger
State: New York
THOR #9265
It is difficult, when looking at a Maxi Fuse, to tell whether it is blown or not. Try putting new fuses in the engine compartment anyway and see what happens.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:04 PM   #28

State: Wisconsin
THOR #24293
I am giving up! I have checked all the fuses in the box under the steering wheel, at least I think I have. I have also put fuses in empty spots. I have decided the better course of action is to re-do that circuit. It is critical enough for me to what to know where the fuse is and make sure it is done right. Thor took one circuit and split it to both power points. I am wiring my own and using a separate fuse for each. Almost ALL of the spots on this fuse box are not used. So, I am buying these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G1KPX7W

And will run new wires. It is a short, easy run. I am also going to hardwire in my add on camera screen so it does not need to take up a power point. I decided I wanted 2 rear facing cameras on the bumper to look back at my tow vehicle while driving. I'll post back when done, probably on Monday.