Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Yes, seems to me like a bad ground connection in your shore power drop.
There was a thread not long ago on another forum not long ago, don't think it was here..... the guys was talking about this very thing.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:00 AM   #22

State: Michigan
THOR #816
We sold the fifth wheel and now have a motor home and have not had that problem since. Someone advised me to always use something insulating between the ground and your steel leveling jacks as lightening strikes near or in the ground can travel up them. I always do that since being advised of it. Sounds like a good precaution. Myth or fact, I do not know. I'm not an Electrician just a Guy out there RVing and taking advise when I get it.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:36 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
I always figured that if lightning has enough energy to travel 40, 000 ft or more through the air, it won't be stopped by a set of tires, or in this case, an inch of plastic. The reason you are generally safe in your car in a lightning storm is not because the tires insulate you from electricity, but the car acts like a shield... i.e. Faraday Cage.

At any rate if there is a voltage difference between earth ground and the chassis that is tripping the GFI, and if it is the result if mis-wiring, you could potentially get a shock when you step out of the coach onto the ground.

I don't mean to harp on this, but it could potentially be a safety issue. Enough that I would feel better if I got it checked out by an electrician... especially given the quality of work that we are accustomed to in the RV industry.

As I said though - potentially an issue - but not for certain.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:45 AM   #24

THOR #816
Like I said that fifth wheel is gone. Our new motorhome does not have that issue when plugged into the garage anymore. The GFI doesn't trip with this RV when plugged in whether the pavement is dry or wet, although I still use the plastic blocks as I don't like the leveling jacks directly on the blacktop. Can't tell you why the fifth wheel would trigger it but it usually did it when the pavement was wet and once I used something with an insulating effect between them I was fine. Anyway that's gone and I still use the plastic blocks. Your probably correct too about the voltage of a lightning strike you may just be kissing your electronics away if that happened.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
I visited the Bigfoot plant today and checked out their levelers. I am definately going to have them installed. I did find out they usually have a special deal in Jan with up to $500 off installation (normally a $600 flat rate). So we'll probably tough it out for whatever remains of this RV'ing season and have them installed prior to next Spring. Gotta pay for the toad setup first.

What I like about them is the jacks work in pairs. This keeps the jacks "equalized" when they contact the ground so they don't stress the frame. Still not sure yet if we will go with the manual or automatic system yet.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #26

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
What I like about them is the jacks work in pairs. This keeps the jacks "equalized" when they contact the ground so they don't stress the frame. Still not sure yet if we will go with the manual or automatic system yet.
So i take it that the HWH system doesn't work in pairs then..... sorry if that seems like a dumb question, i just haven't had the time to thoroughly research on my own yet, so I'm benefitting from what has sold you one way over the other....
thanks for that!
Old 08-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
So i take it that the HWH system doesn't work in pairs then.....
That... I don't know.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:32 AM   #28

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Ontario
THOR #9645
I have Lynx,and not to impress I have at least 6 that split up, the cie replaced 4 under warranty. but this last camping trip a few more crack under my dual wheel. they also sink in the ground when it gets wet therfore loosing the level. I used some recycle rubber step pad in combination with the lynx to prevent them from sinking. the rubber mats are heavy
a bit.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:04 AM   #29

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Big foot gets my vote but recommend you save some money and not get the automatic. Manual provides Much more control. Best add we did.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #30
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Talk about resurrecting an old thread. This thread is over 6 years old.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote