Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I just placed an order for 6 of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/General-G...Tire/268305454

based on this from Chance's input: https://www.google.com/search?q=tire...T42F63Pyho8-GM

Look, Judge is a decent guy and offers a lot good info to all of us but if you're going to mount that monitor on your wheel cover, how will you check balance? I don't know how you can accurately do that and that could lead to cupping and premature tire wear and ending your shocks a little early. I'd look to see if there's something else. Not sure what that is. Not in the market for it - yet. Cross check yourself.

Well....I appreciate that you called me a decent guy! LOL

Advice and opinions on here are like noses, we all have them so we all have to do our own research before taking someone's advice. Hopefully the more advice and options we all ask for and give will help guide us to the right conclusions.

All I can provide is the following and then everyone can do their own research and make their own informed decisions:

1) I have my Crossfire Indicators mounted off a lug nut and have no signs of a balance issue. My installation would cause more of a balance issue than having it mounted closer to the center of the wheel.

2) While balance can have an impact on tire wear, it is usually very minimal with most abnormal tire wear being caused by improper tire pressures and alignment.

3) Take a close at most big rigs carrying heavy loads and you will they use a Crossfire or similar system because of the importance of dual tires having equal pressure carrying those loads to promote proper tire wear and minimize the chance of a premature blowout.

4) It is almost impossible to keep all four dually tire pressures equal so that the tread can perform its load carrying ability properly. Inside tires are against brake drums / rotors that radiate a lot of heat. Heat increases tire pressure. One tire will also sometimes be close to the exhaust pipe adding more heat. Inside tires cool less than outside tires at highway speeds as well. When dually tire pressures are unequal, it will cause abnormal tire wear and can lead to potential tire failure.... back to the OP's original post.

5) It is my opinion from the research I have done that it is far more important to ensure that all four rear tires are equally pressurized than to worry about a slight balance issue. Having all four tires equally pressurized will ensure each tire's surface is properly contacting the road surface and carrying its share of the load equally. Bottom line.... the rear tires will wear and perform optimally and guard against a premature failure.

6) A picture is worth a 1000 words....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 7.13.25 AM.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	26467  

Old 10-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #9701
Thank you Judge for all the research and information you have provided on RV tires. The Crossfire system is a proven product, we used them in our industry (machinery moving) on all our tractor-trailers. Thanks for reminding me to order some for our Vegas as the uneven tire pressures/temperatures on the E450 frame has been a concern of mine, while traveling throughout the west exploring Utah. We will order and install them upon returning to the Mitten. Safe travels!
Old 10-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #23
z28

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #9536
class C tires

I went through the same thing with tires on my Class C that I also tow a 24 Foot car trailer. I finally got a set of Michelin XPS Rib, and never bought another set of tires,
Old 10-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #24

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
Now there's the decision between the Goodyear C-type tire at $230 each or the Nexen at $135 each. The Nexens get good reviews so I'm not sure the Goodyears are worth the extra $.
Ran the Nexens on one of my HD pickup trucks

They wore well but were very squirrly

Couldn't get anythhing else at the time
Old 10-07-2020, 06:55 PM   #25

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
THOR #13725
Hankook tires are excellent tires. They are OEM for Ford chassis. Expecting more than 40,000 miles wear on these type tires is unrealistic. Expecting these tires to last more than four years is unrealistic, as well as unsafe. At 4 years or 40,000 miles I will change all of my truck tires, yes truck tires as an RV is a truck.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:56 PM   #26

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
THOR #13725
Quote:
I have a 2018 Chateau 31E. It has around 48K miles on it, and I just experienced my third rear tire failure in the past year or two. The original tires were Hankook Dynapro HT. I was just wondering if others have had problems with these tires.

I also recently got my front tires replaced and got another alignment done because of uneven tire wear and excessive road noise.

I think these big 32 ft. class C's are really heavy at the rear, so the tires may be overloaded. I always inspect my tires and check pressures before every trip. Rear tires are set at 80 psi cold.

Since the failures happened on the road, and the RV doesn't have a spare tire, I had to install what was available, so now there is a mix of tire brands on the RV.

We are planning a big cross-country RV trip next year, and I'm thinking about replacing all the tires before that trip for peace of mind. Any recommendations for a reliable heavy duty tire that can handle the load with plenty of margin?
Hankook tires are excellent tires. They are OEM for Ford chassis. Expecting more than 40,000 miles wear on these type tires is unrealistic. Expecting these tires to last more than four years is unrealistic, as well as unsafe. At 4 years or 40,000 miles I will change all of my truck tires, yes truck tires as an RV is a truck.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:14 PM   #27

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
That sounds like a problem-solving number...
That would depend on the axle rating? Sooner or later, it seems you would encroach on that.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:27 PM   #28

THOR #16698
26’ Chateau

I understand mine is shorter but I got it weighed and learned I had too much psi in the front and just not enough in the back. I was previously using the psi noted on the door. Please go and get it weighed. Entire coach then the left side then right side and then review tire mfg specs for proper psi.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #29

THOR #12189
Why can't some 225/75R16's be used in a dually configuration?
Old 10-07-2020, 08:41 PM   #30

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Well....I appreciate that you called me a decent guy! LOL
Well, because you seem like you are. I'm not going to create a contest about who's right or wrong. It's waste of time and energy.

I'm just concerned about balance. You cite it's a non-issue and that may be completely true. I remain concerned. Also, I've noticed a lot of tractor trailers on the road have it mounted to the wheel hub (on center). Just an observation that caused me to make the statement I made. Over and out
Old 10-07-2020, 10:35 PM   #31

THOR #12751
Your concern is a fair one.

All I can say is my wife can’t tell a difference in the rear ride if she is in the back getting drinks from the fridge. There is no new or additional vibration that would be an indication of a balance issue.

I also feel the coach is now much safer and there is a much lower chance of abnormal tire wear or blow out because the tire pressures of each set of tires is equal.

I have done enough driving where I saw 5 psi or more differences in the pressure of the inner and outer tire to know the tires are not performing equally and the end result would be abnormal wear or worse.

There are also a couple options where you can mount the indicator to the center hub if that helps with your balance concern. I chose to mount it off the lug because it was clean and it is still close to the center of the axle vs being close to the outer part of the wheel where the centripetal forces would be higher and balance issues would be more susceptible.

As I stated previously.... this is just my assessment after my own research. Each person needs to do their own research and make their own decision as to what is best for their situation.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:50 PM   #32

THOR #12189
Quote:
Your concern is a fair one.

All I can say is my wife can’t tell a difference in the rear ride if she is in the back getting drinks from the fridge. There is no new or additional vibration that would be an indication of a balance issue.

I also feel the coach is now much safer and there is a much lower chance of abnormal tire wear or blow out because the tire pressures of each set of tires is equal.

I have done enough driving where I saw 5 psi or more differences in the pressure of the inner and outer tire to know the tires are not performing equally and the end result would be abnormal wear or worse.

There are also a couple options where you can mount the indicator to the center hub if that helps with your balance concern. I chose to mount it off the lug because it was clean and it is still close to the center of the axle vs being close to the outer part of the wheel where the centripetal forces would be higher and balance issues would be more susceptible.

As I stated previously.... this is just my assessment after my own research. Each person needs to do their own research and make their own decision as to what is best for their situation.
Thank you for that. See? You are a good guy

Now, how to mount it to the wheel hub. I just love a challenge.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:52 PM   #33

State: Utah
THOR #12702
Tires

We have a 2017 Freedom Elite, it came with Michelin tires and we have not had any problems. We have made many trips to the Southwest , Westcoast, and throughout the Mountain West. We also use a tow dolly pulling a vehicle and so either we are very lucky or the Michelin's are as far as my experience, the best bang for the buck and when the time or need arises I will replace them with Michelin's.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:03 PM   #34

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I towed a 16.5k 5th wheel with my dually GMC which load wise would be comparable with the E350-450 class Cs, if willing to spend the extra $$ on GY tires buy the Michelins instead, from my experience you'll get near twice the mileage from the Michelins for little to no difference in price.
I have a couple friends with Ram trucks that the Nexen tires were from the factory & 30k was about max for mileage.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:07 PM   #35

THOR #12751
Quote:
Thank you for that. See? You are a good guy

Now, how to mount it to the wheel hub. I just love a challenge.

Well.... here is one quick and dirty idea.....

You could eye-up where the hub cover bolts are in relation to the center of your wheel covers. Then you could drill a hole in the wheel cover over top of one of the hub cover bolts. Then you would likely need to get a longer bolt and possibly and sleeve depending on the space between the hub and the wheel cover but you could then install your wheel cover and then use one of the hub cover bolts to mount the indicator fairly close to center.

Or something like that......
Old 10-07-2020, 11:11 PM   #36

THOR #12189
Quote:
Well.... here is one quick and dirty idea.....

You could eye-up where the hub cover bolts are in relation to the center of your wheel covers. Then you could drill a hole in the wheel cover over top of one of the hub cover bolts. Then you would likely need to get a longer bolt and possibly and sleeve depending on the space between the hub and the wheel cover but you could then install your wheel cover and then use one of the hub cover bolts to mount the indicator fairly close to center.

Or something like that......
Good thought. Let's see how that pans out. I'll take a look and go from there.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:37 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
That would depend on the axle rating? Sooner or later, it seems you would encroach on that.
Yup! You always have to work on the weakest link first.
You can add trusses to the axle housing, and upgrade to beefier xles...

... then you can tinker with the rear differential...

...the transmission is next...
Old 10-07-2020, 11:42 PM   #38

Model: Chateau 28Z
State: California
THOR #3430
The tires may not like sitting still with all the weight on them. I would suggest that you might consider jacking them up to off load the static weight or to move the vehicle a bit from time to time. My RV sits in the sand and seems to be OK with that. I still try to move it a bit occasionally. Due to the ethanol in the gasoline I try to start up the genset about every 2 weeks. This seems to work for me.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:57 PM   #39

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
I have a 2018 Chateau 31E. It has around 48K miles on it, and I just experienced my third rear tire failure in the past year or two. The original tires were Hankook Dynapro HT. I was just wondering if others have had problems with these tires.

I also recently got my front tires replaced and got another alignment done because of uneven tire wear and excessive road noise.

I think these big 32 ft. class C's are really heavy at the rear, so the tires may be overloaded. I always inspect my tires and check pressures before every trip. Rear tires are set at 80 psi cold.

Since the failures happened on the road, and the RV doesn't have a spare tire, I had to install what was available, so now there is a mix of tire brands on the RV.

We are planning a big cross-country RV trip next year, and I'm thinking about replacing all the tires before that trip for peace of mind. Any recommendations for a reliable heavy duty tire that can handle the load with plenty of margin?
You have a GVWR of 14,500 totally loaded. Your rear tires alone are rated at 10,720 at 80psi. Do you maybe have a bent or damaged rim. Or you are like Lucy and you pick up every large rock and store it in the back of your motorhome. lol. Do you have tire pressure sensors with temperature / pressure alarms?
Old 10-08-2020, 12:10 AM   #40

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Yup! You always have to work on the weakest link first.
You can add trusses to the axle housing, and upgrade to beefier xles...

... then you can tinker with the rear differential...

...the transmission is next...
Geez man, you're talking about a total rebuild. If I do that on this rig, it's going 4 wheeling as I referenced earlier. BTW, got a quote on that. 13.6 to convert. Sitting on that one for a time.