Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2020, 11:54 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Class C tire problems

I have a 2018 Chateau 31E. It has around 48K miles on it, and I just experienced my third rear tire failure in the past year or two. The original tires were Hankook Dynapro HT. I was just wondering if others have had problems with these tires.

I also recently got my front tires replaced and got another alignment done because of uneven tire wear and excessive road noise.

I think these big 32 ft. class C's are really heavy at the rear, so the tires may be overloaded. I always inspect my tires and check pressures before every trip. Rear tires are set at 80 psi cold.

Since the failures happened on the road, and the RV doesn't have a spare tire, I had to install what was available, so now there is a mix of tire brands on the RV.

We are planning a big cross-country RV trip next year, and I'm thinking about replacing all the tires before that trip for peace of mind. Any recommendations for a reliable heavy duty tire that can handle the load with plenty of margin?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blowout.JPEG
Views:	172
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	26396   Click image for larger version

Name:	blowout2.JPEG
Views:	123
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	26397  

Old 09-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Wow!
I always kept my Outlaw's tires pumped up to 85 psi...
Have you ever run your RV across a truck scale; to get an idea of how much weight is on each corner?
Do you have a tire pressure monitoring system?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I have a 2018 Chateau 31E. It has around 48K miles on it, and I just experienced my third rear tire failure in the past year or two. The original tires were Hankook Dynapro HT. I was just wondering if others have had problems with these tires.

I also recently got my front tires replaced and got another alignment done because of uneven tire wear and excessive road noise.

I think these big 32 ft. class C's are really heavy at the rear, so the tires may be overloaded. I always inspect my tires and check pressures before every trip. Rear tires are set at 80 psi cold.

Since the failures happened on the road, and the RV doesn't have a spare tire, I had to install what was available, so now there is a mix of tire brands on the RV.

We are planning a big cross-country RV trip next year, and I'm thinking about replacing all the tires before that trip for peace of mind. Any recommendations for a reliable heavy duty tire that can handle the load with plenty of margin?
Before you buy any tires take that coach over a set of scales to get a weight and then start looking for tires in the appropriate weight range. Until you do that you are guessing at best.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:31 PM   #4

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Before you buy any tires take that coach over a set of scales to get a weight and then start looking for tires in the appropriate weight range. Until you do that you are guessing at best.

I haven't weighed mine, but I have seen weights from other class C's with the same length and similar floorplans. They are generally close to or over the ratings for both the rear axle and rear tires.

I'm not sure actual weights would change my tire choice. I want the most durable tire I can get. For that tire size (225/75R16), load range E 10-ply tires seem to be the best you can get. Load range E is rated for 2680 lbs.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Are there any other higher load ratings available?
Old 09-30-2020, 12:40 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Assuming you are diligent with tire inflation I can almost guarantee your issue is weight related.

I had an Outlaw 29H and once the coach was loaded for a typical trip it was about the limit of the tires. If I loaded my Spyder in the garage, I was 1000lbs over.

The problem withe the Class C chassis is they use LT tires, which are not meant for full time heavy loads and they do not have a high enough weight rating. You should replace them with a Commercial Rated Tire designed to carry heavy loads 100% of the time. Almost every LT truck tire on the market is going to have a weight rating where you are at its maximum with a Class C over 25 feet.

The challenge is there are not many Commercial Rated ties in the 16" size. It is very easy to find them in sizes of 17.5" and larger. There was a company called Rickson Truck Wheels that made custom Class C 17.5" wheels but they went out of business. I was trying to get them but they could not give me a delivery date for 6 months... and then they closed.

I traded in the Outlaw for a Super C last year but if I had kept it I was going to install these tires:

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...tude-ht-c-type

These tires will handle loads over 18,000lbs and they are designed for applications that have to endure heavy loads full time i.e. delivery trucks, etc., which is very important.

Continental also makes a C-Type 16" tire and there have been posts about some success with the Nexen C-Type tires as well. You are making a mistake and wasting money by installing another LT-type tire.

If you really want to protect your investment after you buy these tires, install the Crossfire Dually Tire Equalization system. It will ensure the both tires are at the same pressure and under the loads and forces. It is next to impossible to keep both tires at the same temps and pressures on long trips and that causes uneven tire wear, which leads to tire failure. The Crossfire system will ensure both tires carry equal pressure all the time so all of the tread is hitting the pavement on both tires. See my thread here for more info....

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ade-23467.html

The Class C chassis is pushed to its limits (tires, suspension, etc.) on any coach 25' or longer. The tires on those coaches are the weakest link followed by the suspension.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:07 PM   #7

THOR #5837
Judge, thanks for the great info. I will likely replace my tires with the C-type tires before next summer's trip.

The Crossfire system also looks like a good idea. However, I have the full wheel covers that cover the hub and lug nuts, so I'm not sure how I'd mount it to the wheels.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #8

THOR #12751
Quote:
Judge, thanks for the great info. I will likely replace my tires with the C-type tires before next summer's trip.

The Crossfire system also looks like a good idea. However, I have the full wheel covers that cover the hub and lug nuts, so I'm not sure how I'd mount it to the wheels.
If I could recommend any single upgrade on a Class C 25 feet or over, it would be that people replace the stock tires with a C-type tire like the ones above. It's an important safety upgrade..... that the manufacturers should so but don't.

If you don't have holes in your wheel covers (most do), you can always drill a hole for the braided steel air-hose to come through. Then you can mount the indicator in the center of the wheel cover.

This isn't the same type of wheel cover you have but the picture gives you an idea of what I am talking about for mounting the indicator. I would drill holes in the center, then install screws / bolts from the back side and lock them in place with lock nuts. You will then have studs sticking out of the wheel cover to mount the indicator.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Crossfire_Ford_Install.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	26398  
Old 09-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #9

THOR #5837
Thanks again. My wheel cover is like the one in the photo, so there are holes for the hoses. I guess I'd attach the indicator mounting bracket to the center of the hubcap like your photo showed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wheelcover.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	26399  
Old 09-30-2020, 01:58 PM   #10

THOR #12751
I think you could make the Crossfire work with those wheel covers without a problem.

We are planning a trip out west next year as well. I bought a spare tire and rim and the Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier as insurance.

Even though I have 19.5" commercial tires, I installed the Crossfire. Without it the tires start out at the same pressure but after an hour or so of driving there can be a few PSI difference in pressure and a few degrees in temperature. The Crossfire gives you the best possible wear and performance for your rear tires.... and it is nice walking around the coach and the indicator telling you if both tires are properly inflated before you get in and turn on the TPMS.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
I haven't weighed mine, but I have seen weights from other class C's with the same length and similar floorplans. They are generally close to or over the ratings for both the rear axle and rear tires.

I'm not sure actual weights would change my tire choice. I want the most durable tire I can get. For that tire size (225/75R16), load range E 10-ply tires seem to be the best you can get. Load range E is rated for 2680 lbs.

Yes, you can get “commercial” tires that size with over 3,000 pound load rating when used as singles. I don’t recall dual-tire rating. Do a Google search for 225/75R16C, where the C stands for commercial. Do not use the LT (light truck) prefix which is what you have now.

There are various manufacturers making this size tire. Some websites list them incorrectly, so I’d confirm rated load capacity on tire sidewall.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:31 PM   #12

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Yes, you can get “commercial” tires that size with over 3,000 pound load rating when used as singles. I don’t recall dual-tire rating. Do a Google search for 225/75R16C, where the C stands for commercial. Do not use the LT (light truck) prefix which is what you have now.

There are various manufacturers making this size tire. Some websites list them incorrectly, so I’d confirm rated load capacity on tire sidewall.
The Goodyear tires can be used in a dual tire configuration. But like every other dual tire configuration the rating will be slightly less than the 3197lb rating as a single tire.

It still pushes the total tire and the axle rating to much higher load limits than the LT tires.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:56 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
They would add almost 1,000 pounds of load carrying capacity to the real axle: wouldn't they?
Old 09-30-2020, 05:01 PM   #14

THOR #12751
They would! Probably closer to 1400lbs....
Old 09-30-2020, 05:26 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That sounds like a problem-solving number...
Old 10-01-2020, 01:44 PM   #16

THOR #5837
Now there's the decision between the Goodyear C-type tire at $230 each or the Nexen at $135 each. The Nexens get good reviews so I'm not sure the Goodyears are worth the extra $.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:50 AM   #17

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

Trying to follow Chance. Tires will need to be replaced soon due to normal wear. Each time I "Google search for 225/75R16C" or follow that with 'commercial', I get LT tires thrown at me. Any suggestions?
Old 10-03-2020, 06:25 AM   #18

THOR #12189
Quote:
Now there's the decision between the Goodyear C-type tire at $230 each or the Nexen at $135 each. The Nexens get good reviews so I'm not sure the Goodyears are worth the extra $.
I just placed an order for 6 of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/General-G...Tire/268305454

based on this from Chance's input: https://www.google.com/search?q=tire...T42F63Pyho8-GM

Look, Judge is a decent guy and offers a lot good info to all of us but if you're going to mount that monitor on your wheel cover, how will you check balance? I don't know how you can accurately do that and that could lead to cupping and premature tire wear and ending your shocks a little early. I'd look to see if there's something else. Not sure what that is. Not in the market for it - yet. Cross check yourself.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:29 AM   #19

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
They would! Probably closer to 1400lbs....
12788 but who's counting?
All I know is it gives an extra 2788 over my actual
Old 10-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #20

THOR #12751
Quote:
When I am purchasing tires, I check the country of origin / manufacturing. I try to steer clear of any tires made in China or other countries with suspect quality control.

Nexgen tires are made in South Korea. They do a decent job in that country.

Here is another option but may be out of your price range but another option to consider.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

The Generals that Breeze posted were also on my list when I was looking 18 months ago.