Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2019, 08:00 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #10991
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryJames View Post
Thks, So it does not crank, or pop the starter solenod, and you have not tried a simple engine battery jump cable start yet?
... What's the engine battery product numbers etc. ... is it FoMoCo? MK BXT-65-650?
It had a full can and clean connections. No, I did not try a jump start. It has 3900 miles on it.
Thanks

Old 05-29-2019, 08:19 PM   #22

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
THOR #4181
You might find the post link below useful. I had all batteries dead. Only have 2200 miles on unit. Jump started engine battery and fired up generator. Got home and found the 2 house (under stairs) batteries a little low on water ... still covering plates. Fixed and charged all with shore power. Checked engine battery only about 1/4" low ... it's a FoMoCo "low maintenance" MK-BXT-65-650 should only need to be checked about every 12 months. Put quik fills on house batteries ... but found quik fill won't fit in this engine battery ... so far ... looks like the plate to battery top dimension too small for quik flll. So ... fitted JEGS extensions. (Just don't wish to be pulling off the dash top multiple times / or disconnecting the air ducts in front of the radiator to jump start in the future).

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...tml#post177721
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:01 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #11108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergen View Post
Coach batteries are dead. The chassis battery is hot (charged). Vehicle will not start.
Charged up the coach batteries and it fired right up.
Why?
I have a 2016 Vegas 25.2 that has done something similar. On the Ford side there is a relay that closes to feed power to the chassis when the key it turned on (same as a normal car). On my unit this relay appears to have a very high voltage setting. IE: even though the chassis battery tested good the relay would not close and as such I had no power to anything even the dash lights. Put a trickle charger on for 20 minutes and that was enough for the relay to close and the MH started up normally. No idea if later units have this high voltage requirement relay or perhaps mine is faulty (I plan to change it out just to be safe)

IF the above was the reason for the non start then the connection to the coach batteries is the BIRD or whatever battery disconnect is used. When you charge the coach batteries, once the voltage reaches 13.2v the BIRD closes the Trombetta which ties together the coach and chassis batteries. Thus the chassis battery gets charged to full voltage and in a short time the MH can be started and everything will appear normal. (I had that happen to my unit as well)

In my case the BIRD was wired incorrectly from the factory and it caused all manner of issues not the least was draining batteries to the point the unit would not start.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:42 PM   #24

THOR #10991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travbob View Post
I have a 2016 Vegas 25.2 that has done something similar. On the Ford side there is a relay that closes to feed power to the chassis when the key it turned on (same as a normal car). On my unit this relay appears to have a very high voltage setting. IE: even though the chassis battery tested good the relay would not close and as such I had no power to anything even the dash lights. Put a trickle charger on for 20 minutes and that was enough for the relay to close and the MH started up normally. No idea if later units have this high voltage requirement relay or perhaps mine is faulty (I plan to change it out just to be safe)

IF the above was the reason for the non start then the connection to the coach batteries is the BIRD or whatever battery disconnect is used. When you charge the coach batteries, once the voltage reaches 13.2v the BIRD closes the Trombetta which ties together the coach and chassis batteries. Thus the chassis battery gets charged to full voltage and in a short time the MH can be started and everything will appear normal. (I had that happen to my unit as well)

In my case the BIRD was wired incorrectly from the factory and it caused all manner of issues not the least was draining batteries to the point the unit would not start.
Thank you
Old 06-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Pp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergen View Post
Thank you
"In my case the BIRD was wired incorrectly from the factory and it caused all manner of issues not the least was draining batteries to the point the unit would not start".

Yes from the Factory!! How many others are Mis-Wired?? When will Thor put out a Service Bulletin and show Correct Wiring?
My 2017 has a BIMM and still believe to this day is wired incorrectly.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #26

THOR #10991
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Pp
0"In my case the BIRD was wired incorrectly from the factory and it caused all manner of issues not the least was draining batteries to the point the unit would not start".

Yes from the Factory!! How many others are Mis-Wired?? When will Thor put out a Service Bulletin and show Correct Wiring?
Great.. I'll take a look
Old 06-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: British Columbia
THOR #11108
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Pp
0"In my case the BIRD was wired incorrectly from the factory and it caused all manner of issues not the least was draining batteries to the point the unit would not start".

I would expect that most are wired properly but mine was an exception. Unfortunately looking on this site it seems to happen more frequently than one would hope. I got the proper wiring instruction from the Intellitec (manufacturer of the BIRD) web site. I had one wire that connected to the wrong place and another that didn't appear to be connected to anything.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:46 AM   #28

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13555
I think we may have same problem with our 2018 axis. Our coach is plugged into house with nothing running and went out and tried to put up night shade, no power. House batteries show full charge. Then tried to start, it did not. Used emergency start and it started right up.
Going in to dealer to get it checked out