Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #19390
AC not working On Hurricane 34J

Hello folks,

We have been enjoying our Hurricane 34J this year, but we are having issues with our AC Units.
When we get to a campsite, plug in and get the AC going after we are set up, both units works fine, but after a day or so, the bedroom unit compressor stops working and only the fan will be on.
Once that happens, the front AC unit will run fine as long as the thermostat is calling for AC, but them when it doesn’t, the fan shuts off and the compressor stays on! Pretty weird.
The one way I found to bypass this problem until I find a fix is to shut the whole camper off on the main breaker, wait a couple of minutes, then turn it back on. That will get both units working fine again.
Does anybody have a clue of what’s going on with my ACs? Thanks in Advance!

Old 08-14-2020, 07:50 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudupatty View Post
Hello folks,

We have been enjoying our Hurricane 34J this year, but we are having issues with our AC Units.
When we get to a campsite, plug in and get the AC going after we are set up, both units works fine, but after a day or so, the bedroom unit compressor stops working and only the fan will be on.
Once that happens, the front AC unit will run fine as long as the thermostat is calling for AC, but them when it doesn’t, the fan shuts off and the compressor stays on! Pretty weird.
The one way I found to bypass this problem until I find a fix is to shut the whole camper off on the main breaker, wait a couple of minutes, then turn it back on. That will get both units working fine again.
Does anybody have a clue of what’s going on with my ACs? Thanks in Advance!
Each A/C has its own controller; both work by interpreting the signals from the thermostat. If the compressor shuts down and the fan keeps on running usually the evaporator is frozen up and the compressor's high pressure switch shuts it off. The fan continues to run to defrost the evaporator. This is a long process some times taking an hour or more. If the fan shuts off and the compressor still runs, it can be a bad controller, but usually it is a fan overload causing the motor to overheat. This problem s usually a bad sleeve bearing on the motor shaft.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:32 PM   #3

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
AC not working On Hurricane 34J

Do you have the Firefly Multiplex system?

If so, I had the same issues happening with both my A/C units. Sometimes only the fans would run. Sometimes the compressors would run and the fans would not.

I had to shut down the 12V to reboot the system to fix the problem but it would eventually return. My coach is under warranty and after troubleshooting with Firefly support they determine the main G7a board needed to be replaced.

Since I had that done in June, I have not had any more issues.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:45 PM   #4

THOR #19390
Thanks for your reply. The weird thing is that once you shut down the main breaker and turn it back on, both units goes back to normal.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:49 PM   #5

THOR #19390
That makes sense. We have a 2019 hurricane 34J and it has a touchscreen control panel. I’ll check the manufacture of the touch screen to see which switch board they use. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2020, 12:05 AM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
If it looks like this, it’s a Firefly system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6581.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	25563