Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2022, 03:22 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I ordered the disks from Amazon
I could only find on Amazon 80mm and 95mm diameters made by 3m. I need 82.44mm, although I did see one off brand for 90mm

However I see where ebay has some that are made by Magellan for Magellan for 3 1/4" or 82.44mm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33192282243...Bk9SR9CDzK6SYQ

Making my point again, if Magellan makes them why don't Garmin? Garmin has to be smart enough to know that a RV model is NOT going to be attached to windshield and not many people want to drill 3 holes in their holes in the dash of their expensive RVs for a product that has a measured technology life.

So my take away, is that now, I am not really going to be able to use this thing on any Thanksgiving trip while I order and wait on parts.

Edit By Mod Per OP Request:

OP measured wrong mount. The suction mount that requires a disk actually needs to be 90 - 95 mm. Here is an example disk on Amazon that would work:

https://www.amazon.com/Randconcept-A...dp/B07SPJ7BSX/

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 03:52 AM   #22

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
We love the mountains... east and west. With mountains in remote areas there is a low population... and low priority for comm towers. Sounds like a lot of folks on the forum have continuous cell coverage... but our camping/travel style takes us to preferred remote areas. Different strokes...

We're planning on an extended Rocky Mountain trip next summer. My brother-in-law, who has lived in Colorado for over 40 years tells me our planned camping areas have very spotty cell coverage. The Garmin will likely be our friend.

On mounting... I use the old-school Garmin sandbag dash mount which works great. I know it's not for everyone, but I like the flexibility. It stays put except on really crappy roads.
It was in Colorado that I made decision to buy T Mobile Home Internet for RV. I was at a State Park Campsite that promised to have WiFi which they did, but it was beyond useless. Easy to connect to; but you could do nothing. Desperate to watch a football game, I set up T mobile Hotspot with my phone. I made it to 3rd quarter before my T Mobile plan stepped down I missed a very good game. I have never had that issue since. On this site some poster who never came back, crowed about how bad T mobile was in rural Texas near Huntsville area and even Houston. We drove all the way through that area streaming live TV with Zero issues. So all I can say is IDK. I am sure you can find some parts out in Rockies or Grand Canyon because we know T Mobile or other cell companies don't have nationwide service. I have always had my Garmin 3590LMT in my RV, but I have never needed it. This 890 does do some nice things, but at $500 right now it is way overpriced. I hope in 2 to 3 months I am glad I have both systems.

I can't see the sandbag working for the 8" 890 GPS? It is heavy plus you need it to be firmly mounted to pull it off the magnetic mount.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-20-2022, 12:19 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Garmin Express is an application that runs on your PC to update your Garmin GPS with the latest map data and software.

We have traveled in 48 of the 50 states and most of the Canadian provinces and one territory. I can tell you without a doubt that if you do any significant traveling you will not always have cell service. We find it advantageous to use both internet based navigation like Google Maps and satellite based navigation like a Garmin GPS for when you are out in the middle of no where.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:40 PM   #24

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Garmin Express is an application that runs on your PC to update your Garmin GPS with the latest map data and software.

We have traveled in 48 of the 50 states and most of the Canadian provinces and one territory. I can tell you without a doubt that if you do any significant traveling you will not always have cell service. We find it advantageous to use both internet based navigation like Google Maps and satellite based navigation like a Garmin GPS for when you are out in the middle of no where.
So true. When we went to Alaska my girl friend was convinced we didn't need that old, slow GPS nav. Well guess what in AK cell service is sketchy at best and the you are on your way to the Arctic Circle, the phone isn't much more than a paper weight. Even in the lower 48 cell service is missing in many areas as a previous poster said. No one navigation method should be used and totally relied on. Each type, phone, GPS, paper maps has it's place and value.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:52 PM   #25

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post

I think the point on Garmin Express ( at least for me) is that while it can be used with the RV890, I don't I ever will because it has WiFi and immediately recognized updates and updates via WiFi.

I have T Mobile Internet so I always have WiFi in my RV thus far in my travels. I have only traveled 10 states and no current plans to go to any other unless something just happens. I agree and I have also always had internet based navigation like Waze and satellite based navigation like a Garmin GPS. In fact I have had the Garmin GPS 3 times as long as Waze. Because cellular access, I have never had to use my older Garmin in my RV although I carried it.

I bought the RV890 because I believe it will eventually provide me some other advantages that Waze cannot do. I plan to capture over next few months. But certainly if I had to go to New York and rescue Bob from the snow the low overpass warnings / rerouting may come in handy not to mention that the 6 or 7 new states I may travel through may have spotty or no T Mobile service as I go through mountains, rural areas etc. There are rural areas all over Oklahoma, Arkansas & Texas, I just don't know where you have to go to get no service though?
Old 11-20-2022, 03:01 PM   #26

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Garmin Express, I don't think I would need either. I think in the case Atreis described it may have been a large update and it didn't like the internet speed at the time; so it referred him to Garmin Express?
Very possible. That was before I had Starlink at home, and was on my old 3Mb DSL. (Best available where I live before StarLink.)

The mount: I generally keep my RVs for 8-12 years. (Shortest was 8.) I screwed it to the dash, and figure it'll go with the RV when that time comes.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:25 PM   #27

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Very possible. That was before I had Starlink at home, and was on my old 3Mb DSL. (Best available where I live before StarLink.)

The mount: I generally keep my RVs for 8-12 years. (Shortest was 8.) I screwed it to the dash, and figure it'll go with the RV when that time comes.
While I was willing to buy the RV890, I am not all in willing to make that commitment to screw it in dash ( not yet any way).

I used it for first time this morning on 30 minute drive in SUV, I just propped it up on center console, it looks like it may be too damn big on the windshield? But since the suction mount will be in the RV eventually, I didn't bother trying to mount on glass for SUV.

It is going to take me a few weeks to get everything the way I want before I can fairly compare the two. i.e. on trip this morning, Waze had me getting to same place 5 minutes sooner. On return trip, I set 890 to Car and Waze from Motorcycle to Car. then they were only 1 minute apart; but 890 took the car on Toll roads ( I don't do Toll road unless it is ferry and you have no choice) Oddly the 890 with the toll roads rout was still 1 minute longer? So I am saving money and getting there faster.

But I saw a number of other things with the 890 that I really liked. The lane changing that guides you to exits and the little window inserted to show the travel. The 8" screen is gigantic, it is making my phone look small. If I had bought the 10" RV 1090 I would need to re-weigh and check my tire pressures

Battery life does not seem to last very long though? a 30 minute drive and it was low on battery after starting with full charge. I also had the inactivity set for 2 minutes, but while driving it would shutoff, screen go black, and you had to push on/off button for it to come back on and reenter your planned trip. I switched it to 30 minutes for now.

For now the volume is better than I expected, but I was riding in a Navigator, I need to wait to hear it in the RV. FWIW, I never use the Navigator's navigation. It is worthless to me, but the Android Auto / Play models work with Waze and that I like.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:41 PM   #28

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
So true. When we went to Alaska my girl friend was convinced we didn't need that old, slow GPS nav. Well guess what in AK cell service is sketchy at best and the you are on your way to the Arctic Circle, the phone isn't much more than a paper weight. Even in the lower 48 cell service is missing in many areas as a previous poster said. No one navigation method should be used and totally relied on. Each type, phone, GPS, paper maps has it's place and value.
You are correct about the sketchy cell service in the north. There's absolutely no cell service for over 400 miles on Highway 37 heading out of the Yukon. (And not much better for much of the north but there are cell spots here and there.) But I still just use the cell for directions because there are no turns on that highway. Just go.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:26 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
While I was willing to buy the RV890, I am not all in willing to make that commitment to screw it in dash ( not yet any way).

I used it for first time this morning on 30 minute drive in SUV, I just propped it up on center console, it looks like it may be too damn big on the windshield? But since the suction mount will be in the RV eventually, I didn't bother trying to mount on glass for SUV.

It is going to take me a few weeks to get everything the way I want before I can fairly compare the two. i.e. on trip this morning, Waze had me getting to same place 5 minutes sooner. On return trip, I set 890 to Car and Waze from Motorcycle to Car. then they were only 1 minute apart; but 890 took the car on Toll roads ( I don't do Toll road unless it is ferry and you have no choice) Oddly the 890 with the toll roads rout was still 1 minute longer? So I am saving money and getting there faster.

But I saw a number of other things with the 890 that I really liked. The lane changing that guides you to exits and the little window inserted to show the travel. The 8" screen is gigantic, it is making my phone look small. If I had bought the 10" RV 1090 I would need to re-weigh and check my tire pressures

Battery life does not seem to last very long though? a 30 minute drive and it was low on battery after starting with full charge. I also had the inactivity set for 2 minutes, but while driving it would shutoff, screen go black, and you had to push on/off button for it to come back on and reenter your planned trip. I switched it to 30 minutes for now.

For now the volume is better than I expected, but I was riding in a Navigator, I need to wait to hear it in the RV. FWIW, I never use the Navigator's navigation. It is worthless to me, but the Android Auto / Play models work with Waze and that I like.

Every Garmin I have ever had (and it's been quite a few - just ask my wife) including my RV660 always asked if you wanted an alternate route if a Toll was involved. Most even had a preference setting that told it to avoid toll roads (there's other "avoidances" and preferences you can set as well.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:52 PM   #30
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Every Garmin I have ever had (and it's been quite a few - just ask my wife) including my RV660 always asked if you wanted an alternate route if a Toll was involved. Most even had a preference setting that told it to avoid toll roads (there's other "avoidances" and preferences you can set as well.
That’s the way my RV770 works.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:08 PM   #31

THOR #13058
Quote:
I had turn the Motorhome (Sunstar 29ve) setting to avoid the Toll Roads. However on the way back, I switched to a Car setting to match with Car Vehicle type. I failed to know that those settings in Garmin are specific for the Vehicles you create. That will be a plus for Garmin as Waze setting is for the app inclusive of all vehicle types.

This is also why I think I need to put a moratorium on myself before I go too far in comparing the two, because I need to catchup with learning how the RV 890 operates.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:38 PM   #32

THOR #20900
Quote:

Don't really know about battery life. I always have mine plugged into the cigarette lighter when I'm using it. The screen doesn't turn off on me either, but it's possible I changed that setting or it only does that when not plugged in? Avoiding tolls is a setting. I've not tried it, so can't comment on how well it works.

I've found the sound quality and volume to be better than I expected - easily audible and understandable. I do miss having adjustable voices like some past units had. (I had Homer Simpson as the voice in my old TomTom.) That seems to be something that has gone away.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:10 PM   #33
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Don't really know about battery life. I always have mine plugged into the cigarette lighter when I'm using it. The screen doesn't turn off on me either, but it's possible I changed that setting or it only does that when not plugged in? Avoiding tolls is a setting. I've not tried it, so can't comment on how well it works.

I've found the sound quality and volume to be better than I expected - easily audible and understandable. I do miss having adjustable voices like some past units had. (I had Homer Simpson as the voice in my old TomTom.) That seems to be something that has gone away.
You can download different voices and vehicles using Gamin Express.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:29 PM   #34

THOR #13058
Quote:

I am just reporting what I see, then learning as I go.

There is a Display option to tell it when to go to sleep if NOT on the powered mount. You can select anywhere from 15 secs to 30 min

Since I was driving in SUV and not using power it shut off in 2 min while I was driving. I am thinking that is a bug because I would think driving would activity? I resolved by setting to 30 mins and I completed the trip, but the battery was getting low.

I will likely always have it powered too, but I no longer need to have power on a 6 hr trip with Waze on my phone. I am not so much down on it may only last 1 hr on battery, but think something is not right to shut off after two minutes while on a trip Worse, touching the screen did not wake it up from sleep? For now, I am assuming it is me User Error until I have had more time to learn.

I have turn Tolls OFF on both my Car and my Motorhome types. I never take a toll road, last 3 times I was on a Toll was all a mistake by me not being able to follow the signs that I think they do on purpose to get me to use tolls roads. You have to pay and you have to pay premium for being dumb enough to follow the signs. Waze is good with keeping me off Tolls and will navigate me on a toll road when a certain stretch is free. Eventually, that is the kind of thing I wish to compare by having both running at the same time.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:31 PM   #35

THOR #13058
Quote:
So I may hook it up to Garmin Express after all. I was surprised to not see a SUV vehicle.
Old 11-21-2022, 03:16 PM   #36

THOR #20900
Quote:
Ahh, okay. Another benefit to Garmin Express. I never used it except the one time it told me I needed to, and that was just to do the update.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:37 PM   #37
Site Team

THOR #1469
For the heck of it I downloaded Waze to check it out. During the setup I was asks to grant permission to access my activity and motion data. Hell no. There is only one reason an app wants that and it is for data mining.

You can use it at your own risk. I deleted it off my phone.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:55 PM   #38

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
For the heck of it I downloaded Waze to check it out. During the setup I was asks to grant permission to access my activity and motion data. Hell no. There is only one reason an app wants that and it is for data mining.

You can use it at your own risk. I deleted it off my phone.
I would love to have the seen screen to be sure but Waze does require access to your location to track where you are relative to the routes it has planned for you.

The only permissions I have granted Waze ( and also the only ones that I am aware of) are...

1. Location
2. Microphone
3. Camera

If you use Garmin drive ( I don't believe you do) you have to grant similar access from your phone.

One final note, the fact that you did not grant Waze access; doesn't change the fact that the data is still on your phone and subject to data mining anyway.

With that said, I understand and agree with your caution. For some; Waze is just another app and you cannot be too careful. But Waze is bigger than life now, they were bought out by Google years ago. They have hundreds and hundreds of millions of users. Remember it comes standard on most all new vehicles today and all require connection to your phone and same access. To Waze's credit; they told what they need access to, in order for you to get all the benefits.
Old 11-22-2022, 02:28 PM   #39
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
I would love to have the seen screen to be sure but Waze does require access to your location to track where you are relative to the routes it has planned for you.

The only permissions I have granted Waze ( and also the only ones that I am aware of) are...

1. Location
2. Microphone
3. Camera

If you use Garmin drive ( I don't believe you do) you have to grant similar access from your phone.

One final note, the fact that you did not grant Waze access; doesn't change the fact that the data is still on your phone and subject to data mining anyway.

With that said, I understand and agree with your caution. For some; Waze is just another app and you cannot be too careful. But Waze is bigger than life now, they were bought out by Google years ago. They have hundreds and hundreds of millions of users. Remember it comes standard on most all new vehicles today and all require connection to your phone and same access. To Waze's credit; they told what they need access to, in order for you to get all the benefits.
Google explains it all. Many lawsuits for privacy violations.

I am not stupid and am well aware of where my data resides and I’m selective about which apps get access to the different types of data.
Old 11-22-2022, 04:14 PM   #40

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
We love the mountains... east and west. With mountains in remote areas there is a low population... and low priority for comm towers. Sounds like a lot of folks on the forum have continuous cell coverage... but our camping/travel style takes us to preferred remote areas. Different strokes...

We're planning on an extended Rocky Mountain trip next summer. My brother-in-law, who has lived in Colorado for over 40 years tells me our planned camping areas have very spotty cell coverage. The Garmin will likely be our friend.

On mounting... I use the old-school Garmin sandbag dash mount which works great. I know it's not for everyone, but I like the flexibility. It stays put except on really crappy roads.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote