Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2022, 02:59 PM   #61
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Here’s my Rv 770 Mount. Disk purchased off Amazon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D8E62200-8A6E-4B8E-A7DF-B778F32BD953.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	40215

Old 11-24-2022, 04:20 PM   #62

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
This the RV 890 Mount with both base options. I have attached to the Suction base in the picture. The far right is the 3.25" / 82.44mm mounting disc I purchased; but it is Too Small. But having said that; the base on the right that takes the 3 screws fits perfectly in the 3.25"/82.44 mm disc I bought. But the base on right has cushion pad, not a suction cup so it cannot be used.

Not a big deal but just a hassle when you don't know. I will order the larger discs. My Customer perspective is that to be a RV GPS, it should be equipped to use out of the box without mounting screws in your dash board, and they should know that it is impossible to mount a device such as this on a RV Windshield. Why not include the right size disc for suction cup, or tell the customer what size disc they need to order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221124_100903.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	40216  
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet w/WiFi6; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:15 PM   #63

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
I used the base with 3 holes and zip tied to a 3m disk and attached to my dash. It has worked very well.

I recently found this bean bag mount from TechnoRV and it works very well with the RV890. I actually use it in our toads, Jeep or F150, so I can quickly move the RV890 to them if I want to. I have not used it in the motorhome yet. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221124_121203_Chrome.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	40217
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:20 PM   #64
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
This the RV 890 Mount with both base options. I have attached to the Suction base in the picture. The far right is the 3.25" / 82.44mm mounting disc I purchased; but it is Too Small. But having said that; the base on the right that takes the 3 screws fits perfectly in the 3.25"/82.44 mm disc I bought. But the base on right has cushion pad, not a suction cup so it cannot be used.

Not a big deal but just a hassle when you don't know. I will order the larger discs. My Customer perspective is that to be a RV GPS, it should be equipped to use out of the box without mounting screws in your dash board, and they should know that it is impossible to mount a device such as this on a RV Windshield. Why not include the right size disc for suction cup, or tell the customer what size disc they need to order.
The suction mount would work fine in a truck pulling a travel trailer RV or a Class C or SuperC RV, maybe even some Class A RVs, just not your RV, or my RV or many other Class A RVs.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:38 PM   #65

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The suction mount would work fine in a truck pulling a travel trailer RV or a Class C or SuperC RV, maybe even some Class A RVs, just not your RV, or my RV or many other Class A RVs.

But this is America isn't it, where it is all about me, me, me..... Everyone is special and everyone else is wrong
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet w/WiFi6; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-24-2022, 05:45 PM   #66

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
I used the base with 3 holes and zip tied to a 3m disk and attached to my dash. It has worked very well.

I recently found this bean bag mount from TechnoRV and it works very well with the RV890. I actually use it in our toads, Jeep or F150, so I can quickly move the RV890 to them if I want to. I have not used it in the motorhome yet. Attachment 40217
ding ding we have a winner

As fate would have it TechnoRV is where I bought my RV 890

When I spoke with Garmin they advised me to buy a bean bag, but it was $70 https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10...B51TW21X&psc=1

So I checked with Techno RV and theirs is $29, and it is on sale right now for $14.99 plus my discount code was applied and I even get Free shipping!!!! so I ordered; I should get it in 2 - 5 days

Note I still may get the disk, but this will buy me some time to know exactly where I may mount the disk if at all.

Thank you sir on this Thanksgiving Day
Old 11-24-2022, 08:18 PM   #67

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Quote:
ding ding we have a winner

As fate would have it TechnoRV is where I bought my RV 890

When I spoke with Garmin they advised me to buy a bean bag, but it was $70 https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10...B51TW21X&psc=1

So I checked with Techno RV and theirs is $29, and it is on sale right now for $14.99 plus my discount code was applied and I even get Free shipping!!!! so I ordered; I should get it in 2 - 5 days

Note I still may get the disk, but this will buy me some time to know exactly where I may mount the disk if at all.

Thank you sir on this Thanksgiving Day
TechnoRV folks are great to deal with. I may order another bean bag since they are on sale.

I ordered the new TST 770 monitor this morning for my tire monitor system. I like the idea of a larger screen for that system.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 05:55 PM   #68

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleGGG View Post
TechnoRV folks are great to deal with. I may order another bean bag since they are on sale.

I ordered the new TST 770 monitor this morning for my tire monitor system. I like the idea of a larger screen for that system.
I don't know the folks at Techno RV, but I do know they seem to go beyond the extra mile to help customers. I try to use them whenever possible because I like to shop victoriously. Price, Product, and the People doing the Customer Service is what I look for; or in cases of eBay & Amazon, the Satisfaction Guarantees are all I need. From all I read on the forums, I think WBGO has me similarly hooked, sometimes you just can't ask or expect anything more. You just call and they take care of you. Kase Klosed
Old 11-26-2022, 12:30 AM   #69
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Thank you. Would it be too much trouble to ask you to correct my post #21 with this information you have provided? It may help some future reader who may not see where I later say they do not fit.

FWIW, I found out why they don't fit my suction cup, and it is another knock on Garmin and points out the flaw with Assuming.

The RV 890 comes with two mounting bases. Of course both fit the one magnet holder provided. They look identical but one has a suction cup and the other has 3 holes for screws. Since the base with the 3 holes did not have holder connected it was easier for me to measure and I got 3.25" or 82.44mm. Last night I noticed the base for screws fits the disc I ordered perfectly, but I can't use it because it has cushion on the bottom not suction. I had put both bases back to back to each other and the diameter look the same but off about 4mm (2mm/side). The suction needs at least 90mm or the 95mm in your link.

So in my book given that Garmin did not include the NEEDED mounting disc, they could have at least specified the size mounting disc needed and Engineering should have design the bases to be 100% interchangeable.
Been out of town for turkey day but I just added an EDIT to post #21 for you including the link to the 95 mm disk.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:56 AM   #70

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Been out of town for turkey day but I just added an EDIT to post #21 for you including the link to the 95 mm disk.
Thank you. The update is perfect. I told the ebay seller what happened and he gave me a refund saying I could keep the 4 Magellan discs He was not aware that it would not fit the new RV890 Suction disc either.

My daughter ordered 2 of the 95mm discs from Amazon for me today. She has that Prime account thing. FWIW even though the 90mm would fit, all of the 90mm made by 3m that I could find came with the PE Foam and not the VHB Tape. My research confirmed the VHB you recommended is superior. https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...g-brochure.pdf

So next week I will have the 3m VHB discs and the Bean Bag. FWIW, the Bean Bag suction disc is 3.5" or 90mm.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:03 AM   #71

THOR #13058
Comparison Guideline

As I prepare to compare the RV890 to the Waze Apps, I have created the below categories to evaluate.

Costs
Setup & Installation
Navigation
Road Services
Maintenance & Support

I plan to rate various features or functions within each category.
H = High = 10
M = Med = 6
L = Low = 2
N = None = 0

Note: I don't intend to list every feature or function, but only those that are relevant to me while driving my RV. But given the nature of the forum, if someone has a better idea or something I miss, I will consider adding or revising.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:41 PM   #72

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:
As I prepare to compare the RV890 to the Waze Apps, I have created the below categories to evaluate.

Costs
Setup & Installation
Navigation
Road Services
Maintenance & Support

I plan to rate various features or functions within each category.
H = High = 10
M = Med = 6
L = Low = 2
N = None = 0

Note: I don't intend to list every feature or function, but only those that are relevant to me while driving my RV. But given the nature of the forum, if someone has a better idea or something I miss, I will consider adding or revising.
Don't forget privacy/security for those who care.

With Waze you are giving a third party detailed information about your travels with no assurance that it's secure. In addition you are potentially giving them access to everything on your phone and the risk of malware coming along for the ride with the app or it's updates.

With a standalone GPS (and NO app tied to it) your travel details are relatively secure and no risk to your phone data.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:05 PM   #73

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post

With Waze you are giving a third party detailed information about your travels with no assurance that it's secure. In addition you are potentially giving them access to everything on your phone and the risk of malware coming along for the ride with the app or it's updates.

With a standalone GPS (and NO app tied to it) your travel details are relatively secure and no risk to your phone data.
If it were being evaluated, I don't think I would agree with all of your assessments?

1st Waze ask for permissions for any data access and you do not have to grant if you care. I had to grant similar data access to my RV890

2nd my RV890 also has access to my phone and I am "potentially giving them access to everything on your phone and the risk of malware coming along for the ride with the app or it's updates"

Both Garmin RV890, Waze and your mobile provider have access to your location, and I don't think I am equipped or qualified to evaluate the security of each of those corporate servers.

Garmin Drive is a Bluetooth feature of RV890 that may be missed? I have it ON. i.e. Garmin knows every time my Garage door opens and close. If they wanted; when they see it is Open they could have a crook come by walk in an steal my tools i.e. Amazon driver But for me; I like that information (called Notifications by Garmin) On my phone it is usually too small to see, but the 8" screen is nice. Garmin has ability to make and receive phone calls just like phone, thus my views on data.

One other point, if any one has the MyLife RV GPS App they could have same data concerns as well. I have that app and don't even use, but you know what; my phone automatically removed the permissions because I was NOT using it. I want to use my data for my convenience, so I have Waze and now Garmin RV890 to help me make sense of it all.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:03 PM   #74
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:

Just take off the tin foil hat and give in to your digital overlords.

Old 11-26-2022, 03:17 PM   #75
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
If it were being evaluated, I don't think I would agree with all of your assessments?

1st Waze ask for permissions for any data access and you do not have to grant if you care. I had to grant similar data access to my RV890

2nd my RV890 also has access to my phone and I am "potentially giving them access to everything on your phone and the risk of malware coming along for the ride with the app or it's updates"

Both Garmin RV890, Waze and your mobile provider have access to your location, and I don't think I am equipped or qualified to evaluate the security of each of those corporate servers.

Garmin Drive is a Bluetooth feature of RV890 that may be missed? I have it ON. i.e. Garmin knows every time my Garage door opens and close. If they wanted; when they see it is Open they could have a crook come by walk in an steal my tools i.e. Amazon driver But for me; I like that information (called Notifications by Garmin) On my phone it is usually too small to see, but the 8" screen is nice. Garmin has ability to make and receive phone calls just like phone, thus my views on data.

One other point, if any one has the MyLife RV GPS App they could have same data concerns as well. I have that app and don't even use, but you know what; my phone automatically removed the permissions because I was NOT using it. I want to use my data for my convenience, so I have Waze and now Garmin RV890 to help me make sense of it all.
Totally biased towards Waze. Why waste the time?
Old 11-26-2022, 03:30 PM   #76

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
See last paragraph of Post #60. You could not be more wrong. If your statement were true, why would I have even bought the $500 Garmin RV system

I spend the time because I want / hope to get more and learn something new from what I know Waze already does.

With that said, the material facts do matter, if I get some material facts wrong; I wish to know, but often times on something like this we miss the technological changes over time. There is reason, I didn't buy a Rand McNally RV GPS system or similar. If anything, I am partial to Garmin as I have been using Garmin GPS 3 years to every 1 year of my Waze. So your inference is simply wrong even before I start to rate the functions / features.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:46 PM   #77
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Totally biased about his "bias".

He's trying to be objective.

He's opened it up to other comments and inputs.

It's a great exercise in exploring the features, pros, and cons of each platform.

Lotsa information to be gleamed by the audience.

But in reality it's not a contest and no winner and sole GPS will be declared.

They are both navigational aides. Do you really need a navigational aide in a road vehicle? People have navigated in vehicles without maps of any sorts for over 100 years. Ask for directions, follow signs, get lost, rinse, repeat.

But if you are going to use a navigational aide do you solely rely on a single one? Ships don't, airplanes don't, and most road travelers don't. There are many horror stories of RV of all types being taken down the wrong path by a navigational aide. As I recall there was a story not too long ago of an elderly couple lost out in the desert in a car because they blindly followed their GPS directions.

The hardest part of captaining an RV without local knowledge is deciding how much credence to put into the information provided by multiple navigational aides and deciding which path you will steer the RV. The Garmin may be the best choice in some cases but Google Maps, or WAZE may triumph in other cases.

Let the comparison and information flow.
Old 11-26-2022, 05:29 PM   #78

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
Quote:

Your arguments seem to revolve around "I've already given up privacy, might as well keep going". Some people don't subscribe to that attitude.

Garmin drive is an optional feature, completely un-necessary for use of the GPS. Whether your phone provider has access to your location data is irrelevant for this discussion and completely under your control (turn it off).

Having access to your data (location or otherwise) is a minor issue, it's how they handle that data that is a privacy risk. GPS doesn't send the data off device to achieve it's main function, Waze cannot function without sending data off device and that adds additional risk.

For anyone that cares about protecting their privacy, Waze has more risk compared to RV890 (if you skip the Drive app which I've found brings no features I care about). It's a data point that may be useful to some people in a comparison, that's all.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 05:52 PM   #79
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Your arguments seem to revolve around "I've already given up privacy, might as well keep going". Some people don't subscribe to that attitude.

Garmin drive is an optional feature, completely un-necessary for use of the GPS. Whether your phone provider has access to your location data is irrelevant for this discussion and completely under your control (turn it off).

Having access to your data (location or otherwise) is a minor issue, it's how they handle that data that is a privacy risk. GPS doesn't send the data off device to achieve it's main function, Waze cannot function without sending data off device and that adds additional risk.

For anyone that cares about protecting their privacy, Waze has more risk compared to RV890 (if you skip the Drive app which I've found brings no features I care about). It's a data point that may be useful to some people in a comparison, that's all.
Well stated. My 770 has never requested access to my phone or my personal data (motion and activity), location or access to my phone’s Bluetooth like Waze.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:10 PM   #80

THOR #13058
Quote:

See post #50 and related where we established earlier that Waze can function without cellular service, you only need the downloaded maps which is also true of any standalone GPS. To get the real time social benefits such road hazard warnings traffic, yes you would need a connection, but you are receiving data from Waze servers; unless you opt to be one to share with others what you have seen on the road.

The way I intend to Test Garmin will be with Garmin Express On, because the intent was to compare pros and cons of using Waze side by side with RV890. So in a real sense, Garmin and Waze leverage data from my phone.

And you are right, I have basically given up on privacy because literally 20 times a week I get informed or some notification about my privacy, and everyone that asks, has personal identifiable information on me that I have no choice; and a lot more intrusive than Waze or RV 890.

Heck even if you wish to go look at new car at dealership they may require a photo id of your Driver License that you have to give to some sales guy

When Waze asks for access to data and camera access; it is to do things like take a picture of your destination. Not sure if you have ever done it or seen it, but when your destination is a point where someone has already been and they took a picture, it is kind of nice touch for that picture to pop up once you arrive. It is a comfort that "yes" you are in the right place.

But if it helps, when the time comes we can add a row for Privacy, but I think if you are concerned with privacy you can turn it off on both systems. Just download the map which include all of the social updates, save where you want to go which includes all of the social updates to where you want to go, put your phone in Flight Mode or not if you travel in area with no cellular service anyway, and you are off on your merry way.