Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31F
State: Georgia
THOR #631
Conquering Noisy 12-Volt Water System

Members,

Try as I might, I cannot get our 12-volt water pump to quiet down. I've searched the Thor forums for help but didn't find anything.

Our MH is a 2013 Thor Four Winds 31F and its design puts the extremely noisy 12-volt water pump (you guessed it) right under the head of the bed!

I've thought about getting a new quieter 12-volt pump, but it seems to me that the present pump isn't the main source of the noise, it's the rattling of the pipes that lead to the wash basin and shower (but not so much the galley sink).

What do you all think? Should I try to reduce the vibrations and thumping by tying the lines down more securely, or should I do the opposite and let the lines "float" cushioned on foam supports?

I've checked and cleaned the pump's wire filter (which wasn't all that dirty); I've opened and allowed the water hammer tower to breath; but to no avail.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

John
Athens, GA

Old 08-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I have a rattle in my system behind the shower. It seems it is in the wall - probably the lines are just banging between the inner and outer wall, and not tied down to anything. It only happens when I turn the water off from any other spigot, and it's annoying to be sure, but nothing I can't live with as the alternative might be a major disassembly.

Funny thing though, that rattle did not start until I used city water one time, which I can't imagine what that would have to do it. But I also have noticed that when I use city water, the pipes don't bang (probably because there is constant pressure on everything). And yes, I do have a pressure regulator for city water.

I thought of spraying some of that foam insulation in a can into the wall which might secure the pipes from banging, but it might cause more problems than correct.

If your pump is cycling on and off at night without any use, you may have a leak somewhere.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:15 AM   #3

THOR #631
So it seems that one answer to the issue of pounding and vibrating is to better secure the water lines? I know this is how plumbing works in homes; pipes rattle BC they move and need to be tied down.

I think your foam idea for the lines in the shower stall should work--I'd just be careful not to get too much of that stuff in the wall.

Our water system seems to be working properly on city/shore water there is no sound; so it has to be that the pump pulses are the cause of the rattling.

The pump is mounted on rubber feet and when it is working it does vibrate some. The noise increases as the pump starts to end its cycle of coming up to pressure.

I've got things apart now as much as possible, trying to see which lines are vibrating and pounding the most. At present my only plan/hope is to better secure the lines. If that doesn't help I may order and install a new pump that is touted to be quiet.

John
Athens, GA
Old 08-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
First remount the pump on rubber mounts. That removes the vibration on the floor. This will cure it a lot of the times. If that does not work than install a acumulator tank this seems to have good results.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I used to work in industrial PM and vibration analysis, and later worked with chemical metering and feed systems and we used all sorts of pumps. everything form very small flow rate positive diplacement pumps like our RV water pumps and even smaller, to much larger centrifugal pumps
Vibration isolating mounts can help for sure
I don't believe that anything will actually silence something like this though, but you could probably get close with some crazy over the top isolation box that completely surrounds and insulates the pump and isolates it form the structure.......
Putting it under a bed is just stupid.
I'm lucky that mine is under the kitchen cabinets, but no matter.... I can still hear it.... and my hearing is bad!

A properly sized pulsation dampener is likely the best first step though, and one I will eventually try. I haven't installed one, nor have I reserached the sizingh of them, but my intuition tells me that the little ones they sell for RVs are not big enough.
Shurflo Accumulator Tank - Shurflo 182-200 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World
FYI, the ones we used to use were like this
Pulsation Dampeners and Surge Suppressors - BLACOH Fluid Control

Anyway, I plan to instal a pulsation dampener some day

and if my pump was under the bed like yours, i would consider a bedside switch to turn the pump off.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
My pump is also under the bed because that is where the fresh water tank is as well. At least it is at the foot of the bed though.

But we don't use much water at night, so it is not that much of a distraction. And I can always turn it off at night too.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #7

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
My pump is also under the bed because that is where the fresh water tank is as well. At least it is at the foot of the bed though.

But we don't use much water at night, so it is not that much of a distraction. And I can always turn it off at night too.
True enough.... but that would be a near show stopper for me. DW likes to sleep later than me.... and an occasional nap isn't out of the question when camping.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:55 PM   #8

THOR #631
Thanks to you all for the suggestions. I'm going to start by remounting the pump with better rubber. I'm going to tie down the water lines better under the vanity and the shower if I can reach in/under there.
I'm a little concerned that I might not be able to increase the height of the pump without modifying the connections (that is, if I put a 1/2 inch rubber pad under the existing pump it might stress break the plastic connections).
I'll report back on any progress that I make.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
...an occasional nap isn't out of the question when camping.
I resemble that remark.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #10

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHoge View Post
Thanks to you all for the suggestions. I'm going to start by remounting the pump with better rubber. I'm going to tie down the water lines better under the vanity and the shower if I can reach in/under there.
I'm a little concerned that I might not be able to increase the height of the pump without modifying the connections (that is, if I put a 1/2 inch rubber pad under the existing pump it might stress break the plastic connections).
I'll report back on any progress that I make.
Not to beat a dead horse, but I'll again suggest you consider a pulsation dampener. It won't calm the mechanical noise form the pump, but you will likely find that it calms the pipes a great deal and might reduce your workload in securing them.

well regardless, I look forward to reading about your result!
Old 08-28-2014, 02:25 AM   #11

THOR #631
I tied down the 12 volt pump better this evening and also added two new tie downs for the main water line that exits the pump. It seems that whoever was doing the original installation used minimal strength in tightening the motor to the floor with its rubber foot pads. Also, a double wide (hot and cold) hold down clamp had been used where a single cold line was what needed stabilization.

But, long story short neither of these corrective steps made any significant difference in the noise level of the pump.

So, I think the next step is to try an accumulator of some sort. Honestly there's not a lot of room for one and I'll have to modify he plumbing to make it work.

More later once I get to a better solution.

John
Athens, GA
Old 08-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #12

THOR #908
Thanks for the update.
Unfortunately I think you'll find that anything you try will only give small incremental improvements at best. A pump running under your bed is going to make noise.

At least you have made a couple steps in making it a little better.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #13

THOR #908
I was just thinking..... another incremental improvement might be had from lining the compartment with acoutical insulation
get good stuff and it would very likely help.....
a site I was looking at a while back
QuietRide Solutions
You might call them, or a similar company, and talk to them about your issue.

There's likely so many other things in there such as wires, relays, etc.... that might ake this nearly impossible, but it's a thought.... maybe you could make a smaller box around the pump???
Old 08-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #14

THOR #631
I'm going to try everything from an accumulator to a new pump to insulation to an acoustic silencer of Klingon technology.
Honestly, I'll try anything that seems reasonable. My wife informed me that we only use the 12 volt occasionally and also while on the road where road noise is worse than the pump. I guess I can always go outside at the boy's room, too, instead of flushing at midnight!
John
Athens, GA
Old 08-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
I have the shurflo accumulator tank. It helped some. Last year my pump died so I was forced to bite the bullet and purchase a new one. That was a stroke of good fortune. The new pump cost me $120, but it sure is a lot quieter.

By the way, it was well worth the money.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #16

THOR #908
what pump did you get that was quieter..... a shurflo?
Old 08-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #17

THOR #631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I have the shurflo accumulator tank. It helped some. Last year my pump died so I was forced to bite the bullet and purchase a new one. That was a stroke of good fortune. The new pump cost me $120, but it sure is a lot quieter.

By the way, it was well worth the money.
That's the way I'm going to go, too. New Surflo pump with an accumulator tank.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #18

Model: Outlaw
State: Arizona
THOR #1023
With an accumulator tank, you should be able to pressurize the system pretty good before you go to bed then turn off the pump. There should be enough pressure in the system to flush once or twice without using the pump.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:37 AM   #19

THOR #941
Had a terribly noisy situation in Hurricane 34E. Water lines capped off for washer were bouncing around inside wall. Tie wrapped them to drain line, noise is GONE!
Old 08-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
what pump did you get that was quieter..... a shurflo?
Yes. Shurflo, Revolution pump.

Tags
noisy water pump 12-volt