Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2022, 09:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
THOR #26432
Covering an RV Bad?

I am going to store my Thor Omni under a covered storage area that is covered on 3 sides during the winter. I am thinking of buying a cover for the RV also. This might be over the top but I want to protect the RV as much as possible.

I had an employee at an RV store tell me that covering an RV is bad because it flaps back and forth and damages the paint. It is good or bad to cover an RV?

Old 09-19-2022, 10:20 PM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
This is one of those where the answers will be 50/50!
Here's my .02!
Personally I wouldn't/didn't cover ours due to wind. If it flaps again the rv it will eventually chaff the surface. The wind also considerably shortens the lifespan of the cover to possibly 1 season depending on cover quality, good quality might get 2 seasons.
The other issue, now at my age, is I'm NOT wrestling that heavy cover up a ladder then hopscotching around vents, skylights & A/C units to get it all squared up, I don't heal as well anymore.
So if the weather permits, don't mind spending the $$ annually & you're physically able &/or willing then covering is for you. I'll pass! I'd give it a good wax job & park it.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:42 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I use a cover... but somewhat protected from wind. Never had any issues after 3 years.

That said... if I had a 3-sided storage garage/shed I DEFINITELY wouldn't mess with a cover, especially if the opening is north facing. I'd string a decent looking tarp from Harbor Freight over the open side and be done!
Old 09-20-2022, 03:01 AM   #4

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I use a cover... but somewhat protected from wind. Never had any issues after 3 years.

That said... if I had a 3-sided storage garage/shed I DEFINITELY wouldn't mess with a cover, especially if the opening is north facing. I'd string a decent looking tarp from Harbor Freight over the open side and be done!
That’s what I would do easier to cover the ones side versus putting a cover over the whole coach. That being said we do use a cover but that is mainly because we get snow and ice. The freeze and thaw effects are the main reason.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:35 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapnod View Post
I had an employee at an RV store tell me that covering an RV is bad because it flaps back and forth and damages the paint. It is good or bad to cover an RV?
I have used a cover on my rigs since 2016 during all winter (+- 5 months) and during any period between trips if it is more than 2 weeks.

What I learned:
1 - If you leave in an area with constant high winds, it is probably better not to use a cover. We do get high winds once in a while before a storm but it rarely last more than a couple of hours.
2 - It seems to me that painted MH get damaged easier by the cover than non painted/gel coat MH. Based on what I observed, clear coat may be softer than gelcoat therefore more prone to wear due to rubbing ...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:11 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
THOR #1295
I used a cover on my old class C sunseeker and the flapping from the wind destroyed the rubber roof where it curved around where the roof meets the walls!

Never again!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:42 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany 40ex
THOR #12726
I would also think a cover would trap moisture between the roof and cover making a mold or mildew a issue
Old 09-27-2022, 11:12 PM   #8

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Great idea to cover it. Just tie it down really good.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:55 AM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
I would also think a cover would trap moisture between the roof and cover making a mold or mildew a issue
Most "better" covers are made of a breathable material. A major benefit (for fiberglass gelcoat RVs) is to block RV radiation, which causes oxidation/chalking of the gelcoat.

Maintaining a good wax coat during summer will protect it, but when winter temps and snow begin, the cover substitutes for a wax job.

Being breathable allows moisture to evaporate. Having the cover properly fit and tightly cinched with straps will greatly minimize abrasion from wind.

BUT... if you live in an area with constant windy conditions, I recommend NOT using a cover - either keep a pristine wax coating on it, or find indoor/covered storage.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:29 AM   #10
CLG

Model: ACE 27.1
State: British Columbia
THOR #16056
Cover

After two years in storage we picked up our rv from the storage lot. The rv was covered and it made a big difference. Paint and decals are not faded. The rv didn’t get dusty. The vents and a/c are covered protected. After two years the cover is in a roughed up state. Most of that is my own fault. We will use it in az this winter when we store it there and buy a new one at home.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:30 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
This is one of those where the answers will be 50/50!
Here's my .02!
Personally I wouldn't/didn't cover ours due to wind. If it flaps again the rv it will eventually chaff the surface. The wind also considerably shortens the lifespan of the cover to possibly 1 season depending on cover quality, good quality might get 2 seasons.
The other issue, now at my age, is I'm NOT wrestling that heavy cover up a ladder then hopscotching around vents, skylights & A/C units to get it all squared up, I don't heal as well anymore.
So if the weather permits, don't mind spending the $$ annually & you're physically able &/or willing then covering is for you. I'll pass! I'd give it a good wax job & park it.
Same here X2
Old 09-28-2022, 02:47 AM   #12

Model: Tuscany 40ex
THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Most "better" covers are made of a breathable material. A major benefit (for fiberglass gelcoat RVs) is to block RV radiation, which causes oxidation/chalking of the gelcoat.

Maintaining a good wax coat during summer will protect it, but when winter temps and snow begin, the cover substitutes for a wax job.

Being breathable allows moisture to evaporate. Having the cover properly fit and tightly cinched with straps will greatly minimize abrasion from wind.

BUT... if you live in an area with constant windy conditions, I recommend NOT using a cover - either keep a pristine wax coating on it, or find indoor/covered storage.
Good to know, I cover our boat with a properly fit cover and it gets a musty smell but luckily I can keep our Rv in a building when not in use.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:58 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
So I count...

6 Against cover
3 For cover
1 Didn't answer the question

I will make it 7 Against covers 63%
I would not use a Cover if it was free, I get a new one every two years and I had someone to come out to take it off and on for free 6 times a year.

I would think that in OPs case it would be somewhat harder to put a cover on while under a covered shed?

My Owner's manual does not recommend covers, but do not say to not use them, they just make it clear that it voids the warranty for defects. They do not even sell them.

I do agree with those that say no cover but putting a tarp on the front is exactly what I would do. Wax it before store and you need not worry about dust. I took the shrouds off my 2019 RV to clean the evaporator & condenser coils and I was surprised it all looked brand new inside.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:16 AM   #14

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Arizona
THOR #16788
We used a cover on our 21 foot class C for 12 years...parked in an RV storage lot. It was a pain to put on, especially in winds, but it definitely protected the RV from the UV damage of the Arizona sun. Covers lasted about a year and then would disintegrate. We also used nylon line to keep the cover tight against the sides and roof to minimize the flapping and that seemed to really help.
Based on that experience, we found a newer and closer storage area and the owner agreed to let us build an RV "barn/hanger" which now houses our beloved 2017 RS26. We paid for the shelter and the owner gets it when we cease renting the space. It has been wonderful to just drive into the storage shelter and roll down the tarp to cover all the sides.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:28 AM   #15

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Another vote against covering. For the reasons mentioned but also because if it’s covered your less likely to exercise the generator regularly and especially less likely to take it for a drive on those few nice clear winter days. I believe machinery works best when it’s used regularly.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:58 AM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
7 Against cover
3 For cover
2 Didn't answer the question

25% have voted in favor of using a Cover in OP's situation
58% have voted against using a cover
17% did not vote or response was not definitive of a position
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
covering rv