Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-17-2017, 02:42 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
Posts: 177
THOR #2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by crey0517 View Post
I have an Outlaw that makes the same creaks. After reading this tread I decided to do a search and this is what I found:

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...heets/0295.pdf

Good Luck
We hear a lot of negativity about LCI, but they have excellent online resources and responsive tech support staff. Other OEMs could take a lesson.
__________________

__________________
Tom Bowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:33 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
Posts: 235
THOR #1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by crey0517 View Post
I have an Outlaw that makes the same creaks. After reading this tread I decided to do a search and this is what I found:

http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...heets/0295.pdf

Good Luck
THANK YOU! One more problem bites the dust. Just ordered QT and huge syringe to remove fluid.
__________________

__________________
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
Posts: 235
THOR #1183
After a lot of reading - the adding stiction fluid solution to popping creaking jacks makes more sense than mounting bolt torque. Temp changes cause fluid to expand and contract. Eventually enough pressure change and ram/leg moves. If ram can not move (it is sticking in place) with small pressure changes it will jump when it finally does move. The pressure change could also be from weight transfer due to walking around inside. We frequently get jerky and uneven drops when retracting jacks. Freaks DW out it is so violent sometimes. The retracting problem helps me believe jacks are sticking. Stiction fluid is a special lub that helps overcome the sticking. So what I am going do to reduce popping: #1 Always add blocks to fill void between ground and jack pad before leveling. That will reduce volume of fluid under pressure and consequently the impact of expansion and contraction due to temp changes. I have already proved that blocks help. #2 Add special anti-stiction fluid per instructions in the link above to reduce the pressure needed for ram movement. Hopefully the stiction fluid will help with the walking around part of the problem. I have ordered the recommended motorcycle fork fluid and a large syringe for removing fluid. Should be here today. To be continued.
__________________
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:35 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
Posts: 784
THOR #4158
Did my fluid change out today, sounds like it works. Time will tell on our upcoming 2 month trip.
__________________
Jerry and Debbie
2015. Hurricane 32N /Kia Soul toad
Retired
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
ArrrV's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
Posts: 246
THOR #1287
I did have some loose, really loose, mounts. Tightened mounts, added snap pads while under the MH, and now no more creaks. I did not need to do anything with the fluid. Only creaked after all jacks were down, didn't pop like some of you described.
Thanks for the suggestions to rid me of my creaky MH.
__________________
ArrrV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:27 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
Posts: 177
THOR #2983
After a couple of trips, motorcycle fork oil and snap pads seem to have resolved the problem. Thanks for all the input.
__________________
Tom Bowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
Posts: 784
THOR #4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bowe View Post
After a couple of trips, motorcycle fork oil and snap pads seem to have resolved the problem. Thanks for all the input.
Did you have to tighten the mounting bolts also?
__________________
Jerry and Debbie
2015. Hurricane 32N /Kia Soul toad
Retired
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
Posts: 177
THOR #2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegdrum5050 View Post
Did you have to tighten the mounting bolts also?
No, didn't seem loose. I will check them eventually. Lazy, I guess.
__________________
Tom Bowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
Posts: 245
THOR #4160
I installed Snap Pads the day I picked up my RV; however, my jacks still creak a little sometimes. I was reading LCIs manual and it said something funny and so true.

"Every coach has itís own personality and what may work to fix one coach may not work on another, even if the symptoms appear to be the same."

So true! In any event, I think I will take a look at the mounting bolts just to make sure. And as far as having your front wheels off the ground, it won't hurt anything just doesn't look right. Now if all your wheels are off the ground that would be bad but as long as your back wheels are on the ground, you will be fine. I have already been through that discussion.
__________________
Techn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
Posts: 149
THOR #2542
Take a look at this link: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=81654.0
__________________
Rick Norris
Norrirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Tearstone's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
Posts: 295
THOR #9721
I've had the creaking and jack popping issue on our Lippert 3.0 jacks since we've had the coach. Usually, we do not start hearing it until about a week or so after we've been parked.

Per a previous recommendation, I sprayed the jacks. I used CRC High Performance Dry Lubrication with PTFE spray that I use on our slide mechanisms. Now I'm hearing the noise within a few days. So far, I would venture to say for us this did not work or I used the wrong lubricant.

Next move is to just switch out a quart of the fluid with the Anti-Stiction fluid. I hope that fixes it. This is driving me nuts.
__________________
Russ Sanderlin
USMC Veteran
2017 Miramar 34.4
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
Posts: 784
THOR #4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
I've had the creaking and jack popping issue on our Lippert 3.0 jacks since we've had the coach. Usually, we do not start hearing it until about a week or so after we've been parked.

Per a previous recommendation, I sprayed the jacks. I used CRC High Performance Dry Lubrication with PTFE spray that I use on our slide mechanisms. Now I'm hearing the noise within a few days. So far, I would venture to say for us this did not work or I used the wrong lubricant.

Next move is to just switch out a quart of the fluid with the Anti-Stiction fluid. I hope that fixes it. This is driving me nuts.
I did switch out the fluid, and it helped some. I have since put on Snap pads and No creaking or popping. Jerry
__________________
Jerry and Debbie
2015. Hurricane 32N /Kia Soul toad
Retired
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Tearstone's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
Posts: 295
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegdrum5050 View Post
I did switch out the fluid, and it helped some. I have since put on Snap pads and No creaking or popping. Jerry
We have had Snap Pads for about 6 weeks. TBH, other than the convenience of not worrying about putting down pads where we go, I haven't seen any noticeable improvement using them.
__________________
Russ Sanderlin
USMC Veteran
2017 Miramar 34.4
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
Posts: 784
THOR #4158
BTW got the snap pads on Amazon for $135.
__________________
Jerry and Debbie
2015. Hurricane 32N /Kia Soul toad
Retired
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:58 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Tearstone's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
Posts: 295
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegdrum5050 View Post
BTW got the snap pads on Amazon for $135.
For us, it was cheaper to buy directly off the site. https://rvsnappad.com/products/new-s...nt=23711565891
__________________
Russ Sanderlin
USMC Veteran
2017 Miramar 34.4
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
Posts: 235
THOR #1183
Have creeking jacks. Added stiction fluid and better but still happens during long term like 3 or more weeks. At this point I just retract and re-level during monthly engine run routine.
__________________
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:13 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Tearstone's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
Posts: 295
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Have creeking jacks. Added stiction fluid and better but still happens during long term like 3 or more weeks. At this point I just retract and re-level during monthly engine run routine.
When you re-level, do you pull your slides in?
__________________
Russ Sanderlin
USMC Veteran
2017 Miramar 34.4
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
Posts: 235
THOR #1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
When you re-level, do you pull your slides in?
Nope. I guess if site was way out of level I would if I thought about it. So far just retracting jacks seems to re-lube the seals. Creeking seems to be associated with wide temp swings. Happens more early AM after sunrise and late PM after sunset. So I would guess fluid in lines is expanding/contracting with temp swings causing slight fluid pressure changes and VERY minor movement of leveling legs. We parked for almost five months last year and there was no measureable change in coach level. It is not a problem for me BUT DW always tells me when she hears creeks and as we all know if DW says there is a problem - there is.
__________________
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:53 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 16,233
THOR #8860
I found out that it's not my jacks that are creaking: it's my knees!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
"History shows again and again; how Nature points out the folly of Man!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:09 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Tearstone's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
Posts: 295
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Nope. I guess if site was way out of level I would if I thought about it. So far just retracting jacks seems to re-lube the seals. Creeking seems to be associated with wide temp swings. Happens more early AM after sunrise and late PM after sunset. So I would guess fluid in lines is expanding/contracting with temp swings causing slight fluid pressure changes and VERY minor movement of leveling legs. We parked for almost five months last year and there was no measureable change in coach level. It is not a problem for me BUT DW always tells me when she hears creeks and as we all know if DW says there is a problem - there is.
We are in Vegas this week and the temp swings are much more dramatic. That would make sense.

DW is not to bothered by the creaking, it's me actually


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I found out that it's not my jacks that are creaking: it's my knees!
__________________

__________________
Russ Sanderlin
USMC Veteran
2017 Miramar 34.4
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jacks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×