Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2021, 02:53 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #22656
Generator auto run function

I was looking at the wiring diagram for my 2019 Quantum 31 and can’t figure out how the generator can charge the house batteries as described unless the battery isolation switch in “on”. (Which is undesirable for storing the RV)
I understand the genset will not charge the house batteries it uses to start so the house batteries need to charge from the converter.
The converter is disconnected from the house batteries if the isolation switch is “off”
Therefore, the battery isolation switch needs to be “on” for the genset to charge the house batteries.....right?

Old 04-14-2021, 06:28 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
Correct. There is no 12V alternator in the generator so it wont charge the batteries backup after cranking. There's the house wire that goes through the store switch and then to the fuse box and converter. The separate 12v line going to the generator it is only for the starter.

Thats how it SHOULD be setup but of course, it's a thor so "your wiring may vary."
Old 04-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #3

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtime View Post
I was looking at the wiring diagram for my 2019 Quantum 31 and can’t figure out how the generator can charge the house batteries as described unless the battery isolation switch in “on”. (Which is undesirable for storing the RV)
I understand the genset will not charge the house batteries it uses to start so the house batteries need to charge from the converter.
The converter is disconnected from the house batteries if the isolation switch is “off”
Therefore, the battery isolation switch needs to be “on” for the genset to charge the house batteries.....right?
I was watching one of the Thor videos and that is exactly what they said. The battery disconnect must be on for the batteries to charge.

Bob
Old 04-14-2021, 11:29 AM   #4

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Exactly how mine works and makes sense

If stored, I switch the house bank on, start generator, turn on charger, charge batteries
Old 04-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #5

State: Alabama
THOR #22656
This makes sense however the generator auto run feature isn’t that clear. I am thinking about adding a 70A relay in parallel with the battery isolation switch that energizes with 120 VAC allowing the converter to charge the house batteries when the auto start circuit senses less than 11V (setting I have it on) and the genset starts then drops out when the batteries reach 14V (again the setting I have it on) and the genset turns off.
This would allow me to turn off the battery isolation switch when storing the RV to power off the DC panel (reducing battery load) then functionally switch it on when low battery voltage calls then genset to start.
May be overthinking it however with the control current of several hard wired circuits the house batteries discharge around 0.7A with the isolation switch off.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Here's a dumb question: Isn't the AGS off when the battery disconnect is open? What powers the AGS?

Second - at 11 VDC with no load your house batteries are too dead to start the generator. See this chart:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Here's a dumb question: Isn't the AGS off when the battery disconnect is open? What powers the AGS?

Second - at 11 VDC with no load your house batteries are too dead to start the generator. See this chart:

In my rig if the Master Power switch is off the AGS controls are off because the Firefly (Mira Vega) system is off.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:45 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
Quote:
This makes sense however the generator auto run feature isn’t that clear. I am thinking about adding a 70A relay in parallel with the battery isolation switch that energizes with 120 VAC allowing the converter to charge the house batteries when the auto start circuit senses less than 11V (setting I have it on) and the genset starts then drops out when the batteries reach 14V (again the setting I have it on) and the genset turns off.
This would allow me to turn off the battery isolation switch when storing the RV to power off the DC panel (reducing battery load) then functionally switch it on when low battery voltage calls then genset to start.
May be overthinking it however with the control current of several hard wired circuits the house batteries discharge around 0.7A with the isolation switch off.
Why not just run the converter output straight to the batteries bypassing the switch. It will charge then when the generator produces 120v input for it no matter the position of the switch.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:28 AM   #9

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
It sounds like you are concerned about charging the house batteries when the coach is in storage. In storage is the only time the battery disconnect should be open. If the coach is stored out in the open and not under cover then you might want to think about a few solar panels to overcome the parasitic loads during storage. You would need to have the batteries charged up before storage and the solar charger would need to be connected directly to the batteries.

Bob