Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #5515
Cross country trip

Class A Newby here..... we are planning a cross country trip at the beginning of 2017. We just traded our travel trailer for the 2015 31S Hurricane last August and thought we were familiar with the electrical system, but not so. Question: how do I start the refrigerator ahead of time without connecting to electricity? also, how do we keep it running while traveling across the country. We have a small solar panel we had installed just to keep the house batteries from dying, a generator, and an inverter box but don't know how they work together or separately.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:26 PM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Does run on propane? If so set on "auto" & turn the frig on.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #3

State: California
THOR #5515
Propane.

We did that but it never got cold until we were at the camp site and plugged into electricity. Will try again next time. thanks! Will that work also when we travel cross-county, just keep it on propane the entire way?
Old 09-23-2016, 09:08 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Try turning on to propane 24 hours ahead of when you want to load it. If not cold might need looked at to see what problem there might be.
Yes, it will work as you travel. Just remember to turn it to off when fueling.
Safe journeys and welcome to the forum!
Old 09-23-2016, 10:57 PM   #5

State: Florida
THOR #1249
I usually purge the air out of gas line by lighting the burners on stove. Then I make sure the frig will light off on propane. The frig will fail to light now and then until all the air is out of line.
Just working from memory here, but I think if the frig fails to start after a few igniter tries, you need to slide to Off and then back to Auto to reset the starting cycle. I think the light on the selector flashes on a failed start. Mine usually starts on the second try. I also leave it on Auto when traveling unless entering an area that prohibits leaving it on.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:11 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I have had the same problem with my fridge not starting on propane. I switch the fridge from off to auto a couple or three times to get the air out of the line, if it doesn't light the yellow light will blink. Never had this problem with other coaches, had me wondering if there was a leak. I leak tested all the connections and never found a problem. Guess the valve isn't tight inside, sure is a pia but fortunately it does work well once I get the fire going.