Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #61
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I thought about the virtual tour also. They often leave out smaller details in the interest of expediency.
When did you ever see where they store the fire extinguishers?

Old 01-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #62

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Just saw that a few RV dealers are advertising a new floorplan of the Cross Trek ahead of it showing up in the Coachmen website. There are no pictures yet.

The new 21XG is a compact version of the Thor 22E, about 8 inches narrower, and built on Transit instead of E-350 chassis. This should make it a little more maneuverable and fuel efficient.

A major difference is that rear corner bed swings up against wall (Murphy style) just like on Winnebago Travato van. Smaller toys can be loaded through a narrow rear cargo door (also like on 22XG). Unlike the larger 22XG (which is a Class C on E-350), the 21XG Class B+ has bathroom on driver side where it belongs.

I expected Coachmen might introduce a Euro-style Twin-Bed floorplan like the Tiffin Wayfarer copied, but instead Coachmen modified an existing design to make a mini toy hauler.

Just mentioning because I know the Thor 22E is a popular floorplan, and this new Cross Trek is a compact version of that for those that may want to downsize some but not all the way to a much smaller van. And it should also offer a way to haul bikes, scooters, etc. inside motorhome during the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49742AE9-9A23-436C-AE15-36815264FB36.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	22074   Click image for larger version

Name:	22645F0E-6C1E-4455-91BC-42071D581424.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	22075  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6DA375AE-E7E8-4F1A-955E-D379F23106B1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	22076  
Old 03-05-2020, 06:21 PM   #63

THOR #2121
James and Stef of The Fit RV reviewed the 20XG during the Tampa RV Super Show.

James does a great job as usual covering features, but what I find most interesting is how they consider this little 24-footer so large and with so much space. In addition to their fascination with huge bike garage, they point out how much larger this unit is compared to their van. I agree 100%.

A ton of cargo capacity for such a small and light motorhome is also impressive. It just needs a better floorplan.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #64
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Everybody brings their own experience (and prejudices...) to the table.
If they were coming out of a 45 foot DP to look this rig over: you can bet they their opinion would be different.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #65

THOR #2121
Yes, and the most important “bias” is that sales people, dealers, and manufacturers all benefit more from selling an expensive rig which often means larger.

I don’t have anything against larger motorhomes if that’s what the customer actually needs and wants. However, it’d be nice if they mentioned pros and cons of both with similar emphasis.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:10 PM   #66
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Would love to see a 4 seat cab in the smaller units. Sitting in a smaller entry level series unit dinette is comfortable for about 3 minutes. And brutal traveling.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:57 PM   #67
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
But how much living space are you willing to give up for those seats?
Old 03-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #68
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Zero, They would be included in the front cab chassis foot print like a 4 door F150 or a 4 door Toyota Tacoma ETC.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #69

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Would love to see a 4 seat cab in the smaller units. Sitting in a smaller entry level series unit dinette is comfortable for about 3 minutes. And brutal traveling.
I agree 100% with dinette comment. Have not found traditional dinettes very comfortable for long; or very safe either.

Captain’s chairs in cab area are designed to be fairly safe and also comfortable for hours at a time, so particularly on smaller units, should be incorporated into lounge/living/dining area.

Many Class B vans have used 4 captain chairs in front, but that’s no longer as popular because the space is more difficult to use for sleeping (at least in a van).

For slightly larger motorhomes (other than vans), I like the common Euro arrangement of having comfortable and relatively safe seats that make a living area, plus dinning area, and at night an overhead bed drops down over the seats that fold or swivel backrest out of way (to make a second bed area). It takes more planning, engineering, and higher-cost furnishings, but it keeps motorhome smaller which saves in other ways to offset added investment.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #70

THOR #2121
Transit AWD with EcoBoost

Just wanted to share that Coachmen is also offering the All Wheel Drive Transit with EcoBoost engine on smaller 2021 Model Year Cross Treks.

For now the diesel is delayed, and the standard engine has lower weight ratings, so EcoBoost like on Gemini and Compass might become much more popular across the RV industry. And apparently with AWD.

Coachmen haven’t updated their Website, but MHSRV has some of the 2021 specs. Solar option now goes to 380 Watts, offer an auxiliary AGM battery, and a “portable generator ready connection”. I’m really curious what a generator ready connection entails.

At Tampa Super Show their Brand Manager said they had ordered Transit with AWD, EcoBoost, and dual 250 Amp alternators. MHSRV specs don’t mention the dual alternators, but that doesn’t necessarily preclude them.

Some of the upgrades as discussed in this thread were needed, like more battery capacity to power A/C a little longer off grid. Hopefully “auxiliary” battery means a second 330 Ah for 660 Ah total.

https://www.mhsrv.com/2021-coachmen-...-c-tx-i2778914

It will be interesting to see if other manufacturers offer entry-level motorhomes with similar electrical designs.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:32 AM   #71

State: California
THOR #20941
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
Don't see much of an advantage with the crosstek, except better MPG, and the storage area.
comparing my Fourwinds 22E (also 24' long)

GVWR:Crosstek is 10360 lb.; Fourwinds 22E is 12,500
GCWR: crosstek is 12125 lb; Fourwinds 22E is 18,500
Fuel Capacity:crosstek is 25 gal; ; Fourwinds 22E is 55 gal
Exterior Length: crosstek is 24'; Fourwinds 22E is 24'
Exterior Height:crosstek is 10' 6"; Fourwinds 22E is 11'
Exterior Width: crosstek is 91" ; Fourwinds 22E is 99"
Fresh Water: crosstek is 30 gal; Fourwinds 22E is 40 gal
Gray Water: crosstek is 27 gal; Fourwinds 22E is 37 gal
Black Water:crosstek is 28 gal; Fourwinds 22E is 24.5 gal
I weigh in at 10,900 fully loaded My dry weight is @ 9500 pounds

The extra storage crosstek has is nice, but I'll keep what I have and use the rear hitch for extra cargo and bikes.
By the way the dash air has no problem keeping a 24' class c cool

The Pros of the Cross Trek 22XG

- The Cross Trek 22XG has a rear door and a 60x80 bed which flips up out of the way with D-rings underneath so you can use it like a cargo van (the Cross Trek 22XG has 4 doors instjead of 3). It has underbed storage which you can access from the outside and inside without lifting the bed so it's a great place to put camping chairs and tables.

- The Cross Trek 22GX has 3 seperate exterior storage compartments, instead of 1, which are metal not plastic two of which are driver side allowing you to keep dirty things seperate from clean things; the exterior storage of the Chateau 22E has a 200 lb weight limit.

- With the Cross Trek 22XG you don't have to turn on your generator just to use the microwave for 5 minutes to warm something up.

- The Cross Trek 22XG has dedicated prep space in the kitchen rather than pseudo prep space aka sink covers; a perfect spot to put a blender, coffee maker, george foreman grill while keeping the rest of the kitchen functional (no juggling skills required). You could even put a TV and games console on it and sit directly opposite from it.

- The Cross Trek 22XG has a 10 Cu.ft 12V fridge.

- The Cross Trek 22GX has a 68 lb propane tank rather than 40 lb and it's on the drivers side.

- The Cross Trek 22XG has a Samsung Smart TV rather than Axxera (lol?).

- The Cross Trek 22XG has two chassis options; the 350 and 3500. The 3500 has a cargo carrying capacity of 4900 lbs.

- The Cross Trek 22XG has a BBQ hookup.

- The Cross Trek 22XG has 4 exterior 110v power outlets.

- The Cross Trek 22XG has a large kitchen window.

- The Cross Trek 22XG doesn't have an interior step.

- The Cross Trek 22G has a shorter front end cap which is less bulbous and more angular than the gimmicky fibre glass bra's.

- The Cross Trek 22XG doesn't have the cliche crass decals of "aggressive" swirly chaotic patterns; it's bit more conservative and stylish.

- The Cross Trek 22XG has a large storage space underneath the sink to put a large trash can.

The Cons of the Cross Trek 22XG

- 2 gas burners instead of 3

- No gas oven or convection microwave (but in place of the oven you do at least get extra storage space)

- No Ford E-450 chassis upgrade option (the 3500 is 6" longer which can make all the difference when parking)

- No bathroom window

- No toilet sprayer thingy (like the Travato has)

- No solid surface option

- Slightly smaller bathroom due to a larger bed

- Narrower overcab bunk which is only a negative if you want to use it as a two person bed otherwise less overhang.

- Bed could be higher for more underbed storage but I guess the door handle is in the way

- Coachmen web site lacks data on solar equipment, battery AH and options.

- AGM rather than Lithium

- No roof ladder (because of rear door)

- No dual pane windows

- Forest River plasters their vehicles with cancer stickers so everytime you enter your lovely new RV you're reminded of children with cancer...nice. NOT.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:42 AM   #72
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!
Sooo... Are you buying one?
Old 10-19-2020, 01:08 AM   #73

THOR #20941
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry899 View Post
Don't see much of an advantage with the crosstek, except better MPG, and the storage area.
comparing my Fourwinds 22E (also 24' long)

GVWR:Crosstek is 10360 lb.; Fourwinds 22E is 12,500
GCWR: crosstek is 12125 lb; Fourwinds 22E is 18,500
Fuel Capacity:crosstek is 25 gal; ; Fourwinds 22E is 55 gal
Exterior Length: crosstek is 24'; Fourwinds 22E is 24'
Exterior Height:crosstek is 10' 6"; Fourwinds 22E is 11'
Exterior Width: crosstek is 91" ; Fourwinds 22E is 99"
Fresh Water: crosstek is 30 gal; Fourwinds 22E is 40 gal
Gray Water: crosstek is 27 gal; Fourwinds 22E is 37 gal
Black Water:crosstek is 28 gal; Fourwinds 22E is 24.5 gal
I weigh in at 10,900 fully loaded My dry weight is @ 9500 pounds

The extra storage crosstek has is nice, but I'll keep what I have and use the rear hitch for extra cargo and bikes.
By the way the dash air has no problem keeping a 24' class c cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Welcome to the Forum!
Sooo... Are you buying one?
Thanks buddy slap it high.

I really like the barrel chair and 76" wide dinete in the Thor Freedom Elite 23H but where would I put my sewer hose + accessories and black tank flush hose? Will it all the fit in the back bumper?

Oh, I forgot a con of the Cross Trek 22XG: No ducted A/C and the non-ducted A/C is only 11,000 BTU but maybe it's for energy efficiency.

BTW, why doesn't the Thor Chateau 22E have ducted A/C? The Winnebago 22R does and it has a Ford E-450 chassis option why doesn't the Thor have that option? Mind you the Winnebago 22R doesn't even have a sink cover or recessed glass cooktop cover so zero prep space...you get a sink cover AND a trash can with Thor. For a while I had a romance with Winnebago (and Taylor Swift) but is it really wise to want something just because of the badge? I think not especially if that thing I thought I wanted is priveledge, spilt, obnoxious and boastful?

I like the 96" wall-to-wall bed in the Thor Chateau 25V. Kudos to a Unique RV.

I also like the painted cabinets and white counter-tops in the Thor Quantum LC22 but why no stainless steel microwave to match the fabulous decor?

I don't like the vent fans all over the place it's like an ugly hole in the ceiling with extra condensation.

And I don't like a big black rectangle hanging in the dinette; I would much rather have a nice large dinette window than a small one with a black rectangle. They say nobody is forcing me to to watch it but they are because even if it's off it's still on if it's there in front of me. Are people really going camping to watch 4 televisions?

And what's all this about Azdel? Isn't that just another word for glue? Can't something that is laminated de-laminate no matter what glue you use? I know that solid surfaces don't de-laminate because they weren't laminated in the first place.

Is Rotocast another word for plastic? Why is there a 200 lb weight limit on the plastic exterior space of the Chateau 22E?

What else is on my mind?

a) Two sinks with no prep space or b) 1 sink with prep space?

B please.

Can you actually fit anything into those dual sink setups?

Dual sinks remind me of the truck industry with their 12" touchcreens and powered tailgates. They lure you in and say "Oooooh look at how big this touch screen is....it's MUCH bigger than your friends touch screen! oooooh!. Cool, a large screen TV in the front of my pickup but does it tow?? DO I need to be a NASA astrnaut to drive it? Why is it beeping at me?

And the powered tailgates...which do you prefer? To reach into your pocket and fiddle with buttons or just walk up and open the tailgate with your hand. I guess they need to sell gimmicks to lure you in.

Are they going to make it so to use your RV you need to own an Iphone?

Why are they replacing gas cooktops with induction? They say it's for health and safety but is it because it's cheaper for them to install? You can fit two gas burners in the same space as 1 induction ring and what about all the people working in the gas industry who can become unemployed because of the health and safety lie to chase profits? Do chefs use gas or induction? Would you rather cook a steak on gas or electric? And don't forget induction is a propriety system which means you need special pans to use it. What if you lose those pans? How do you cook then?

They're saying a naked flame is dangerous in an RV...well so it driving an RV if you're stupid... so is climbing a mountain if you're stupid. Should we ban driving an RV and climbing up moutains because it's dangerous for stupid people to do? Inducton requires special pans and stupid people lose things; they're saying they're putting the induction in to stop stupid people from hurting themselves...what if the stupid people lose their pans? How do they cook?

They're replacing gas ovens with wooden drawers. They say the customer wants it but its is cheaper for them so is it because they want it? It's becoming an option.

And PLEASE don't get me started on cameras in t he mirror. The mirrior is the camera! They've created a mirrior within a mirror and now they're looking right instead of left to turn left.

These new behicles are computerized back seat drivers which tel you whene to speed up and when to slow down, when to change lanes but aren't we the captain's not them? If you crash and blame the computerized back street driver what will the judge say?

Will the cmputerized back seat driver even be in court with you?

Anyone else tired of hearing aout solo females living vanlife? Solo females out at sea...solo females riding a motorcycle? What's next? Solo females cuttting their toenails? Solo females eating an apple?

We've had the all female space walk but where are the all female McDonalds? Where are thee all female built bridges? Where are the all female built roads? Where are the all female built tunnels? Where are the all female built telecommunication towers? Can anybody show me?

I went to truck camper magazine and read this:

I wanted to read about truck campers so I went to truck camper maagzine but instead of reading about trucks I ended up reading feminist propaganda (https://www.truckcamperadventure.com...-in-a-bigfoot/) from either a fantasist or fictional character who says she doesn't rely on men even though she's driving down a man-made road in her man-made truck using man-made internet.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:22 AM   #74
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You ask good questions; let's see how much conversation they provoke...
Old 10-19-2020, 01:50 AM   #75

THOR #20941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
You ask good questions; let's see how much conversation they provoke...

My 2nd post with the questions go deleted (without an explanation).

I put a lot of time into writing that.

I thought it would it get deleted though because that always happens when you ask the tough questions that certain people don't want other people to see.

What are they afraid of?

Unless you follow their self-seving narrative....it's delete....and ban.

I don't last long on forums because I get shushed.

I think it's because business has a short-term mindset which benefts the few and I have a long-term mind-set which benefits the many and the two are incompatible with one another.

I want to show things to people (and learn things from people) and they want to hide things from people to control our decisions to benefit themselves while telling us they're doing it for us.

I've noticed the "RV industry" is especially secretive and deceitful - technology allows them to broadcast a deceitful misleading message which dumbs people down. Dumb people can be taken advantage of and we really have nothing to compare their products to so they can say they have the best products which could be false.

These companies can only exist in a world where choice is destroyed.

It's funny because recreational vehicles are multi-purpose but the companies which make them are single-purpose. It doesn't make sense to me; an RV company is like a dinette which doesn't turn into a bed.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:29 AM   #76

THOR #2121
What I still don’t understand is how the Cross Trek 22XG is to be used as a small-toy hauler; whether it’s for bikes, scooters, motorcycle, ATV, etc. The same applies to the smaller Cross Trek 21XG based on Transit van, or the Freelander 22XG which is almost the same as the Cross Trek 22XG, except for having a generator and larger 2-person overhead (over the cab) bed.

If hauling toys requires main bed to be folded up, what do you do with the toys at night if stopping just to sleep? A couple could sleep on dinette and overhead bed (not available on 21XG which is a Class B+), but if traveling with others that limits options. Even after arriving at campground, I wouldn’t want to leave all bikes outside just to use bed.

For me that’s a deal breaker, not that we like these floor plans anyway, but I’m curious what owners do with their toys at night while sleeping, particularly if just pulling off to rest along the way. It seems like a major design flaw to me.

I would also want to know why Coachmen hasn’t updated the Cross Trek brochure to include latest model year. Is it possible some of these floor plans are being eliminated already? I have no information to this effect, but find it odd that I haven’t seen 22XG or 27XG built on newest E-Series chassis with V8 engine listed for sale. Is it due to limited demand or limited manufacturing?

I still like the Cross Trek concept but badly needs a new floor plan for smaller units.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:40 AM   #77
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It depends upon your definition of "Toys".
Old 10-19-2020, 11:49 AM   #78

THOR #2121
Any toy that doesn’t fit under the bed requires bed to be folded up, thereby creating the problem. Pretty much anything larger than a skateboard. If you’re getting nit picky, I suppose you can lay two bikes on their side on floor under bed, but that doesn’t require a toy hauler in first place.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #79
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You can call them "Bike Haulers"; if it works better for you...
Old 10-21-2020, 07:22 PM   #80

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

......cut....

I would also want to know why Coachmen hasn’t updated the Cross Trek brochure to include latest model year. Is it possible some of these floor plans are being eliminated already? I have no information to this effect, but find it odd that I haven’t seen 22XG or 27XG built on newest E-Series chassis with V8 engine listed for sale. Is it due to limited demand or limited manufacturing?

I still like the Cross Trek concept but badly needs a new floor plan for smaller units.

In fairness to Coachmen Cross Trek line of motorhomes, I want to share that I have now seen information that Coachmen is actually adding new floorplans and not eliminating them as I feared could be the case.

They just added an even longer Cross Trek 30XG, and a new 23XG is on its way. Both are on Ford E-Series cutaway chassis and not Transit.

The 30XG is similar to 27XG floor plan but with smaller rear storage compartment versus the 27XG’s very large bike/toy garage. This keeps interior floor flat without steps. Compartment can be seen at beginning of video, as can the very long rear overhang.

The ad on MHSRV site indicates the 30XG they have on order will have an optional 4,000-Watt Onan in addition to 3,000-Watt inverter system that can run everything, albeit air conditioner for a short period only. As previously discussed on this thread, a generator was needed to power A/C overnight if boondocking in south during most of year.

https://youtu.be/IStppwJHMFo

The upcoming 23XG will also be a corner bed design like the 22XG, but will be permanent versus flip-up Murphy style.