Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2020, 03:14 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
cut...
power-to-weight
cut...
Damn. I completely blew that off - no kidding. You're right. Well it's on order and the shipping notice already came, so I'll slap it on there and see what happens - keeping the old in case things go negative. Thanks for your input. I mean that.

"When air is cooler, it is denser, so the engine can handle more “mass flow rate” for the same volumetric rate"

Dare I ask? If I try to stuff more stuff through the same hole at a denser rate, it should slow with more O2 and result in a cleaner more efficient burn as Ace mentioned? Drove the towed home home last night through the Carolinas mountains in cold dense air and the performance significantly picked up over warmer days/night. Tap the pedal and she was right there. Can't speak to fuel consumption because conditions vary in daily use. Drive during the day, it's warm. Drive at night, it's cool. The performance difference is noticeable.

This is not a bout. It's a knowledge quest.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:27 AM   #22

THOR #12189
Disregard. It just clicked and you're correct.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #23

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
The stock E450 already draws air from forward of the radiator, so I can't see that a cold air kit is going to do make any significant difference. If the new intake piping is less restrictive before the filter then that might help a little at high rpms, but probably still insignificant. I also wouldn't want to do anything that increases noise from the engine bay.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #24

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
And, as Chance points out, any increase in max HP will only show up at maximum throttle. How often are you flat on the floor in your usual driving? Even if the engine does benefit from increased power throughout its rpm range it will only mean that a given amount of power will arrive at a slightly lesser amount of throttle input. Like most guys from my generation I like “high performance” as much as the next fellow but it’s pretty moot in an RV.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:08 PM   #26

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Yeah, I know. More HP and torque without doing anything. Kinda sad - huh?
Old 10-06-2020, 10:10 PM   #27

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
And, as Chance points out, any increase in max HP will only show up at maximum throttle. How often are you flat on the floor in your usual driving? Even if the engine does benefit from increased power throughout its rpm range it will only mean that a given amount of power will arrive at a slightly lesser amount of throttle input. Like most guys from my generation I like “high performance” as much as the next fellow but it’s pretty moot in an RV.
I hear you. Like I said, it's an experiment. I tend to do that - maybe too much? Who knows. We'll see. It's already on its way. What's the harm in trying
Old 10-06-2020, 10:12 PM   #28

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
The stock E450 already draws air from forward of the radiator, so I can't see that a cold air kit is going to do make any significant difference. If the new intake piping is less restrictive before the filter then that might help a little at high rpms, but probably still insignificant. I also wouldn't want to do anything that increases noise from the engine bay.
The filter is mounted at the entry point and pipe is bigger, better curved (less restrictive?) so it should help some. As others have pointed out, to what degree is questionable. Only one way to find out. Go for it.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:45 PM   #29

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I say go for it. Im always looking for little mods for my Cars/ Jeeps/RV. Even if it dont work very wel it was fun trying. Who knows you might really like the results even if it just "looks" better than OEM.

Post your results when done.

I thought about a K & N air filter or CAI for my Axis but decided it would not make much differnce in performance for my application (im never WOT) and it would just make my RV louder from the drivers seat (and I been working for years to make it quieter while driving ) so I just slip in the OEM paper filter once a year regardless of miles (lots of bug and dirt).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:55 PM   #30

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I say go for it. Im always looking for little mods for my Cars/ Jeeps/RV. Even if it dont work very wel it was fun trying. Who knows you might really like the results even if it just "looks" better than OEM.

Post your results when done.

I thought about a K & N air filter or CAI for my Axis but decided it would not make much differnce in performance for my application (im never WOT) and it would just make my RV louder from the drivers seat (and I been working for years to make it quieter while driving ) so I just slip in the OEM paper filter once a year regardless of miles (lots of bug and dirt).
Want to talk bugs and dirt? Try driving through ND when they're harvesting the fields and driving the grasshoppers out. Some as big as your thumb. They lay on the side of the road, thick as dirt from running into passing vehicles, but that's not the end of them. They make a freakin mess of the front, radiator AND air filter. Ask me how I know
Old 10-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #31

State: South Carolina
THOR #10944
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I wanted to throw this out here and possibly try it before I suggested on modifications and updates.

I was counseled on a cold air pack for an e450 cutaway carrying a 33' class C 31L (bumper to bumper).

I was wondering if anyone went there and can share what they found.

Thanks in advance.
I installed the Banks cold air intake on our 2017 Hurricane. There has been no increase in fuel mileage, but it was installed along with the 5 star tune. As I said ,no fuel mileage increase but my 36 ft. motor home performs much better. We recently returned from a trip to Colorado and it handled the Rockies well. It’s not a sports car but it has improved. The possible down side is the sound level. It isn’t the screaming 4200 RPM but a deeper tone that’s still loud.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:35 PM   #32

State: Minnesota
THOR #20429
I had a 2008 e450 V10 class c unit with a K@N air filter. Didn't improve the mileage and it was very noisy.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:51 PM   #33

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I wanted to throw this out here and possibly try it before I suggested on modifications and updates.

I was counseled on a cold air pack for an e450 cutaway carrying a 33' class C 31L (bumper to bumper).

I was wondering if anyone went there and can share what they found.

Thanks in advance.
The website I checked K&N about 18 hp I would go for it
Old 10-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #34

Model: Windsport 32R
State: South Carolina
THOR #17209
Cool air pack alternative

I don't know if you were looking for more power or just more air but I have an old Workhorse chassis, Windsport 32R with the 8.1 liter v-8 (stroked out 454) and Allison tranny.
I needed (wanted) more power for the mountains. Seems that a 22000 pound vehicle doesn't go uphill that easily. I looked at a Banks kit for $5K and required a lot of work. Then I found an outfit called Ultra RV products in New Jersey. I sent them my VIN number and they sent me a new computer. Three bolts and a harness clip and done. Got maybe 30 hp and maybe 30 ft-lb of torque but the gas mileage went from 7mpg to 8 - 8.5 mpg and in the low country, 9.4 mpg. That payed for itself the first year just in gas savings and it only took 10 minutes to install.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #35

State: Texas
THOR #2121
With fuel injection you’d expect no measurable MPG improvement due to filters or restrictions.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #36

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #10883
Cool air

I used to use K&N Open air intake on to different trucks. And also on a 4 carb motorcycle. Sounds cool, but louder. Any power gain could only be measured on a dyno. Didn't feel different driving them. Never have to buy another air filter though
Old 10-10-2020, 08:36 PM   #37

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Fuel injection keeps the air fuel ratios the same but any restrictions in the intake or exhaust will hurt power and economy
Old 10-10-2020, 08:58 PM   #38

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLeenhouts View Post
I don't know if you were looking for more power or just more air but I have an old Workhorse chassis, Windsport 32R with the 8.1 liter v-8 (stroked out 454) and Allison tranny.
I needed (wanted) more power for the mountains. Seems that a 22000 pound vehicle doesn't go uphill that easily. I looked at a Banks kit for $5K and required a lot of work. Then I found an outfit called Ultra RV products in New Jersey. I sent them my VIN number and they sent me a new computer. Three bolts and a harness clip and done. Got maybe 30 hp and maybe 30 ft-lb of torque but the gas mileage went from 7mpg to 8 - 8.5 mpg and in the low country, 9.4 mpg. That payed for itself the first year just in gas savings and it only took 10 minutes to install.
Very interesting. Thank you.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #39

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Fuel injection keeps the air fuel ratios the same but any restrictions in the intake or exhaust will hurt power and economy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
With fuel injection you’d expect no measurable MPG improvement due to filters or restrictions.
Bill,
In another post on a similar topic, I was told altitude changes will change air/fuel rations. Confused now.

Chance,
Improved air flow, which the cool pack seems to deliver, has always increased horsepower in my experiences. I never measured mpg. Can you point to something that would help me understand that better? Seems you're stating I can expect no bang for the buck?

Thank you both for your comments. Seriously.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:19 PM   #40

THOR #2121
Gas engine power is controlled by throttling intake. If you reduce pressure drop across an air filter, for example, you’ll just have to close the throttle by same amount so engine makes same power. Total pressure drop is the same for all practical purposes. Again, talking about how it affects MPG and not maximum power.

As stated before, cooler intake temperature makes a theoretical efficiency gain but it’s so minor for a few degrees that you’ll never notice it or be able to measure while driving. A lot of claims are driven by marketing, not reality.