Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #1812
Hmmmm- don't like to lose over 60 ft-lbs of torque...... maybe V10 is pretty good ......

Old 01-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #62
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
I wouldn't mind it: With a new trans and a new engine, if the combination would have the same towing specs (GVWR/GCWR) and provide better mpg overall I would be happy.

Who knows, perhaps the new V8 is quieter as well!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #63

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #1812
I suspect the V8 will be significantly quieter - Ford , as all manufacturers, has come a long way in engine N&V in the last 20 years.... As they have in fuel economy .....
Old 03-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #64

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Regarding power and torque ratings

Since 6.2L V8 is de-rated significantly compared to SuperDuty pickup applications, I had been waiting to see what RPMs these new ratings were at.

Ford just started to release 2018 E-Series Ads, which include more information.

331 HP is at 5,500 RPMs (that's 316 lb-ft of torque)

356 lb-ft max torque is at 4,000 RPMs (that's 271 HP)

By comparison, the larger E-Series V10 has the following ratings.

305 HP at 4250 RPMs (that's 377 lb-ft of torque)

420 lb-ft max torque is at 3,250 RPMs (that's 260 HP)
Old 03-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #65

THOR #2121
Additional differences

Two additional differences that favor the newer V8 over the older V10 are:

Total chassis weight appears to be in range of 60 to 70 pounds less for cutaway, and closer to 90 pounds or so for stripped chassis. I have no idea why there is a weight savings difference between cutaway and stripped chassis, but it's minor anyway.

More importantly, the Ford build and price page list the optional V8 as $350 lower in cost than the V10. That makes sense in that it must be cheaper to make.

A downside to V8 is that maximum tow ratings (based on Gross Combined Weight Rating) are lower than that of V10. For me it's still high enough that it wouldn't matter. Whether the V8 makes it into MH market remains a good question. I expect it will if emissions regulations don't get too crazy.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:56 PM   #66

THOR #2121
V8 certification expanded

Until recently it didn't look to me like the 6.2L V8 from the Super Duty could be used for most motorhome applications due to frontal area restrictions, but Ford recently issued the 5th revision on April 6 showing that there is now a 79-square-foot frontal area option on cutaways. The previous limit of 72 square feet appears too limited for most Class Cs. I suppose a narrow and low-profile B+ could be kept below 72 square feet, but the vast majority of Class Cs exceed that size.

Based on rough estimates, it should be easy for most Class Cs to stay below 79 square feet, making it possible to use the newer V8 with either 4.10 or 4.56 final gearing.

Unfortunately, I don't see a certification for the V8 with stripped chassis at 79 square feet (leaving Axis/Vegas out from this Ford certification). I suppose Thor can still certify it themselves if desired, and Ford may still be working on more options.

All good news to me.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:03 PM   #67

THOR #2121
Here are options:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4068.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	4566  
Old 04-12-2017, 09:35 PM   #68

THOR #2121
Not to scale but gets point across:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4067.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	4567  
Old 04-12-2017, 10:35 PM   #69
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
It is possible Ford just started out conservative with the engine and as they get more experience with it (and enhance it) they just open up the specs more.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #70

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
It is possible Ford just started out conservative with the engine and as they get more experience with it (and enhance it) they just open up the specs more.
I have no idea what a special order code like 15F entails, but I'm curious to know because I can't imagine Ford making different engines (physical tuning like different cams) or that electronic tuning would make enough difference just because a truck body went from 70 to 79 square feet of frontal area. I suspect there is some playing games to pass a strict test protocol under given conditions that have little or no value in real driving. Drivers and conditions vary too much from one vehicle to the next.

I'm just glad to see that the 6.2L V8 is showing up at commercial dealers and that the price on window sticker is indeed $350 lower than V10. With lower cost, lower weight, greater fuel economy, and probably also quieter and smoother, we should start seeing it in E-350 and E-450 Class Cs before too long. In theory it should be an improvement over V10 but we'll have to wait for reviews.