Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34F
State: Florida
THOR #1942
2015 Thor Windsport 34F Wheel Bearing Problem

Bought my 2015 Thor Windsport 34F on 04/25/2015. Had 1300 miles on it when I bought it.

It was in the CW shop more than out for the first two months, while I had small things fixed and upgrades put in.

I drove it about 200-250 miles over 2 months mostly back and forth to the CW shop.

On 07/15/2015, decided to go to the northeast. Headed out of Florida. About 700 miles into our trip on 295 North around Washington, I went over a small bump and started to hear this loud squealing and the steering wheel started to shake, and driver's side tire started to wobble.

We immediately pull over. We call for CoachNet help. The tech they send out, removed the tire, and the wheel bearing fell right out after he removed the tire. He said, with only 2400 miles on my coach, something had to be very, very wrong to have caused this.

We called Ford, opened a case. They sent a tow truck, and here we sit in Richmond, VA right now until the dealership opens Monday and we can get some answers.

I did some googling, and found this:

2014 F53 chassis - 2 Bad Wheel Bearings ??? - iRV2 Forums

It seems like this is a known issue, that Ford knew about, and we all experienced failures around 2500 miles. I just wanted to let others know about this.

S.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Check out the Winnebago and Fleetwood forums.

They have been having F53 chassis with factory over-tightened front wheel bearings, since at least 2013.

I'm guessing that it's one or several Ford assembly line employee(s) who think "tighter is better", and it's just a statistical gamble if you end up with one of those F53 chassis.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:25 PM   #3

THOR #1942
So my RV has been at the Ford dealer since last Friday night. We are holed up with 6 pets in a hotel in Richmond.

Monday morning, the Ford dealer diagnosed the problem on Driver's Side front to be the wheel bearing hub. Ordered a new one. Nothing else damaged. Parts will be here Thursday and we should be on the road by Friday. I did ask Ford to check the passenger's side as well and they said it looked fine. I'm hoping this will be the end of the problem.

Ford did say I could file for reimbursement consideration for our hotel expenses, so I'll be doing that after this is over.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:14 AM   #4

THOR #1942
Finally back on the road today. They had to replace the entire driver's side hub and then they also disassembled the passenger's side, at my request, and repacked it to be safe. On the road to finish our trip to Maine tomorrow!
Old 04-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #5

State: Ohio
THOR #5415
Hurricane wheel bearings failure

On 3/15 both my front wheel bearings failed. 2400 miles on 2015 Hurricane 34J motorhome. Appeared that neither side had cotter pins. Had to replace entire spindle and brake assemblies. Lost 7 days of vacation. Anyone know what Ford is saying about this issue?