Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The electric Transit is coming...

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/03...starting-2022/

Of course the article doesn't mention any specs other than "its coming"! LOL

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yeah... So is Summer!
It won't have the range or carrying capacity to be useful just yet. Give it a couple of years to mature, and then they'll have something.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Yeah, Ford haven’t released many details yet. It’s probably in response to Mercedes Electric Sprinter. My guess is that electric Transit is mostly for local delivery with limited range at highway speeds.

Timing of news, like that of E-Series and F-600, coincide with Work Truck Show 2020. Makes it seem to me aimed more at business use than personal.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...c-transit.html
Old 03-04-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
GM just made a big announcement about it's progress in battery sizes, and charging rates...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:13 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
I'm still not drinking the koolaide on the whole electric auto. Maybe if I was a city dweller an electric runabout would work but I live in a rural area and liquid fuel is required.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:54 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I'm still not drinking the koolaide on the whole electric auto. Maybe if I was a city dweller an electric runabout would work but I live in a rural area and liquid fuel is required.
Depends: You can charge at home and how far do you have to go? Many (well ok, 2 or 3) EVs these days have 300+ mile range.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:24 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm also out here in the sticks... The nearest charging station is 35 miles away...
The infrastructure needs to be brought up to speed.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:00 AM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Resale values on electric cars are poor, mainly because of diminishing battery capacity and range as they age. I would expect the same to be true on RV's, which already do not have that great a resale value.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:40 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #9522
Remember one of the reason many EVs drop fast is they often have a 7500 tax credit. Even if the original purchaser wasn't eligible, the market assumes the actual purchase price was 7500 less.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:54 AM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'm also out here in the sticks... The nearest charging station is 35 miles away...
The infrastructure needs to be brought up to speed.
It is coming up to speed very quickly: https://www.plugshare.com/

You're wrong: The nearest charging station is zero miles away: Your house--don't forget that. You always leave home with a "full tank".

Electrify America will be installing 800 fast chargers by the end of 2021 (a rate that is double Tesla's rate).

EVgo already has 800 fast chargers.

GM just revealed (sort of) 10 future electric vehicles.

In addition to Ford saying the "electric Transit is coming" without really saying anything (at least with the Mach-E they showed a few prototypes and gave some specs like HP #'s and battery sizes).
Old 03-05-2020, 01:10 AM   #11

THOR #9522
Thanks for the GM link Jamie. Always fun to see what my old colleagues are up to.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
Old 03-05-2020, 02:10 AM   #12

THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
Remember one of the reason many EVs drop fast is they often have a 7500 tax credit. Even if the original purchaser wasn't eligible, the market assumes the actual purchase price was 7500 less.
That rebate is a factor, but bottom line, if supply is short and demand is high, value goes up, not down. Poor resale value of electric vehicles, IMO shows weak demand for used electrics.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:15 AM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
That rebate is a factor, but bottom line, if supply is short and demand is high, value goes up, not down. Poor resale value of electric vehicles, IMO shows weak demand for used electrics.
Resale for electric's isn't low due to low demand for BEV's in general its due to the technology improving. Early model EV's are cheap because they can only go 80 miles.

It will be like that until the battery tech improvements level off. We're still on the upwards curve which makes newer EV's more compelling than old ones (which is also why the majority of people lease EV's because by the end of the lease the newer EV is going to be better than the one you're turning in--by a lot).
Old 03-05-2020, 02:27 AM   #14
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
I would bet the Transit & Ford Ranger will both be "built" on RIVIAN'S Skateboard Chassis. The main reason Ford invested in Rivian. 300-400 mile range. Rivian Truck is a Show Stopper!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:39 AM   #15

THOR #2121
Battery weight is going to be a limiting factor until new battery technology is developed. Manufacturers are getting greater vehicle range in large part by increasing battery capacity, but there’s only so much you can add before the vehicle gets too heavy.

Battery capacity was initially limited mostly by costs, but now that they’re much cheaper per kWh, manufacturers can add more battery and range; except for the excessive weight.

For a cargo van where added battery weight reduces payload, this becomes even more critical. To increase highway range, manufacturers also need to focus on lowering drag.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:02 PM   #16

THOR #9522
Energy density has always been the issue for EV. Everything else is just engineering. But energy density requires invention in cell chemistry, production, etc.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
Old 03-06-2020, 01:32 AM   #17

THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Resale for electric's isn't low due to low demand for BEV's in general its due to the technology improving. Early model EV's are cheap because they can only go 80 miles.

It will be like that until the battery tech improvements level off. We're still on the upwards curve which makes newer EV's more compelling than old ones (which is also why the majority of people lease EV's because by the end of the lease the newer EV is going to be better than the one you're turning in--by a lot).
You are correct battery technology is improving, and hopefully will continue to improve, but that is a contributing factor to the lack of demand for used electrics, and IMO a disincentive for new, since they devalue so rapidly. Example I saw is a $40,000 Leaf at three years old, was valued at about $10,000. Consumers published that, and if that is not a disincentive, I'm not sure what would be. I think eventually things may stabilize, but we are sure not there now. As far as electric RV's, my advice would be, buyer beware.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:57 AM   #18

THOR #2121
For RV applications where most of us normally travel long distances, I think a plug-in hybrid makes a lot of sense. For city driving most people don’t need a range of 200~300 miles, which adds a lot of weight and costs. A van with 50 to 100 km of electric range (31 to 62 miles) will handle most daily trips. And when it can’t, the range extender can be used for unlimited distances.

Attached is link to Ford Transit Custom with 1-liter range extender; and Ford is not first to pursue this approach.

For package delivery like UPS or Amazon, a pure electric may make more sense because of average distance traveled daily. Personal use, particularly as a motorhome, is very different.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...n-Driving.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FCD2FFC9-A498-448F-A868-5306D85E5185.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	22820  
Old 03-06-2020, 09:53 PM   #19

THOR #2121
Not a Transit, but an interesting prototype from the Work Truck Show.

They showed both gasoline and electric versions, based on F-150 chassis. It’s interesting they used an F-150 instead of an E-Series stripped chassis. I’d guess that since it’s for under 10,000-pound GVWR, there’s no need for heavier chassis.

This size vehicle could make a great compact Class A slightly larger than a van, but smaller than an Axis. And the F-150 already comes with 5.0L gas V8 or 3.0L diesel V6, 10-speed auto, independent front suspension, 4X4 option, and a fully boxed frame.

Maybe Ford should develop a new pickup-truck-based stripped chassis for smaller motorhomes and step vans.

Looks would need to be cleaned up a bit — make it look a little more like a Hymer.

https://www.fleetowner.com/fleet-man...with-the-storm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	074BF5C6-4437-4A22-84AD-3713FF2599B4.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	22827  
Old 03-06-2020, 11:54 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Not a Transit, but an interesting prototype from the Work Truck Show.

They showed both gasoline and electric versions, based on F-150 chassis. It’s interesting they used an F-150 instead of an E-Series stripped chassis. I’d guess that since it’s for under 10,000-pound GVWR, there’s no need for heavier chassis.

This size vehicle could make a great compact Class A slightly larger than a van, but smaller than an Axis. And the F-150 already comes with 5.0L gas V8 or 3.0L diesel V6, 10-speed auto, independent front suspension, 4X4 option, and a fully boxed frame.

Maybe Ford should develop a new pickup-truck-based stripped chassis for smaller motorhomes and step vans.

Looks would need to be cleaned up a bit — make it look a little more like a Hymer.

https://www.fleetowner.com/fleet-man...with-the-storm
Don't forget a hybrid and BEV F-150 are coming too...