Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2022, 02:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #26545
Electric water heater

I recently bought a 2018 Freedom Elite,every other camper I have had I was able to heat water when plugged in to SP by flipping a switch on the outside by the water heater. But with this one I can only heat water by using propane is there something I’m missing.

Old 06-12-2022, 02:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreck View Post
I recently bought a 2018 Freedom Elite,every other camper I have had I was able to heat water when plugged in to SP by flipping a switch on the outside by the water heater. But with this one I can only heat water by using propane is there something I’m missing.
Suburban water heaters have that external switch. You likely have an Atwood/Dometic brand in your Elite, if it is equipped with a electric heating element there will be a second switch inside the RV next to the gas switch to turn it on.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:02 AM   #3

THOR #26545
Thanks Ace that’s what I assumed I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.
Old 06-12-2022, 02:46 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Yep... ours has a control panel on the side of a cabinet just inside the entry door, where you press buttons to check tank levels, battery charge, etc. There are also rocker switches for water pump, propane and electric for the hot water. If in a hurry, I sometimes flip both propane and electric on to heat the water faster... then turn off the propane switch after up to temperature.
Old 06-12-2022, 04:02 PM   #5

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Just a word of caution make sure you have water in the water heater tank, before starting the water heater. I have seen electrical heating elements burn out because of no water in the tank, because someone accidentally flipped the switch.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:02 AM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
A lot of the dual fuel (electric vs. propane) water heaters simply do not work on the electric side. I've had mine looked at twice...once at the factory...it still doesn't work on 120V. Why...I only wish I knew.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:05 AM   #7

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
Maybe verify voltage at the heating element, when power is on.

Probably done that already.

Good luck
Old 06-13-2022, 12:19 AM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
A lot of the dual fuel (electric vs. propane) water heaters simply do not work on the electric side. I've had mine looked at twice...once at the factory...it still doesn't work on 120V. Why...I only wish I knew.
A lot? I don't think that's accurate. Every one I've come across works on 120 VAC unless they burnt the element out with an empty tank.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:29 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
A lot? I don't think that's accurate. Every one I've come across works on 120 VAC unless they burnt the element out with an empty tank.
The electric side of mine didn’t work at purchase. Entegra/Jayco Factory Service broke it during the repair and had to replace the entire water heater.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:06 AM   #10

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Most likely in the coach's early life, as someone said, the heater was probably turned on dry and burnt up the element.
During my working career when we were doing demolition our crews would have to use a decontamination shower. Invariably on every job one of the crew members would plug in the electric hot water heater before the potable water was hooked up. I have changed at least a dozen of those heating elements not a tough job if you are a bit handy.
You can find a new element on the web for $20-$25. The element socket runs another $10-$12. The toughest part of the job on an RV looks to be moving the propane burner out of the way
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:33 AM   #11

THOR #26545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Yep... ours has a control panel on the side of a cabinet just inside the entry door, where you press buttons to check tank levels, battery charge, etc. There are also rocker switches for water pump, propane and electric for the hot water. If in a hurry, I sometimes flip both propane and electric on to heat the water faster... then turn off the propane switch after up to temperature.
Is it common for them to only run off propane?
Old 06-13-2022, 11:34 AM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Not when they are low and electric. There are some models that run on one or the other
Old 06-13-2022, 01:23 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Most newer ones are electric/propane, which yours likely is. You can remove the outside cover and look for wires to the heating element. The propane burner is pretty obvious.

I believe the intention is to use whichever source is available. You'd obviously use the electric option if you've already paid for electric hookup at a campground... OR propane when dry camping without running the generator.

In our MH the propane seems to heat a little quicker than electric... which is why I occasionally"boost" using both electric and propane simultaneously. There is no clear reason to me why you couldn't use both at the same time... or either/or as desired.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:00 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Most newer ones are electric/propane, which yours likely is. You can remove the outside cover and look for wires to the heating element. The propane burner is pretty obvious.

I believe the intention is to use whichever source is available. You'd obviously use the electric option if you've already paid for electric hookup at a campground... OR propane when dry camping without running the generator.

In our MH the propane seems to heat a little quicker than electric... which is why I occasionally"boost" using both electric and propane simultaneously. There is no clear reason to me why you couldn't use both at the same time... or either/or as desired.
You won't see it on an Atwood/Dometic as the heating element is on the inside.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:12 PM   #15

THOR #26545
There is no switch on the outside or on the inside by the propane switch my guess is propane is all I have. I realize mine is the base model of Motor Homes.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:29 PM   #16

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Send a picture of your control panel please.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:31 PM   #17
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
There is no switch on the outside or on the inside by the propane switch my guess is propane is all I have. I realize mine is the base model of Motor Homes.
What model water heater do you have.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:03 PM   #18

THOR #26545
I will try to send a picture and get the model number when I get home from work this weekend.
Old 06-18-2022, 08:06 PM   #19

Model: 24fe
THOR #20046
Quote:

My 2018 Freedom Elite has a Girard instant hot water heater. If yours is a Girard, there is no electric option for heating the water.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:08 AM   #20
MLP

THOR #17478
Look up the documentation for your water heater. It should have a schematic for it. It will show weather you have a gas/electric or gas. Mine failed on electric and gas. I have jumpers with clips and pins. I jump the +12V house battery into the 12V to turn on the 120V electric start (my jumper has a fuse inline). It worked. My problem was with the relay providing power to the water heater which I fixed later when I got home. I could turn on electric or gas depending on which connector pin I inserted the +12V into. If you are not electric tech savvy, just measure to see if you have the +12V power at the proper connector pin for gas or electric.

It maybe that as stated in the above post, you may only have a gas only water heater. Your water heater documentation should have that info in it. If you do not have its documentation, look it up on line.