Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2020, 11:48 PM   #21

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by jihealy View Post
Greetings,

My rig is a 2016 ACE 30.2.

Can anyone identify the electrical components in the attached photo. I'm more interested in round solenoid looking unit as it is warm to the touch, with nothing on (I think).

They are located in the compartment aft of the entry door, behind the house batteries. The cables attached to the round unit run to the positive side of the batteries and then a long run along the chassis to the engine compartment firewall.

My concern led me to disconnect the cable coming from the positive terminal of the house batteries and when I did you could hear a click, like it was de-energizing.

Appreciate any help that can be offered.

Thanks,

Jerry
Another quality wiring job by Thor.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:59 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #11074
I purchased a new B.I.R.D. from M&M RV Electronics. After I installed it the trigger wire to the Trombetta relay was not hot, so I was happy. However, after a while I checked the relay and it was warm again. I assumed that the house battery charger was active, but just to be sure I contacted M&M RV Electronics and explained my condition. I'm happy to report that they confirmed that the system is working as designed and that it is normal for the "continuous duty" Trombetta relay to be warm/hot to the touch after awhile when activated.

Thanks for all the responses and Happy Travels!

Jerry
Old 06-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jihealy View Post
I purchased a new B.I.R.D. from M&M RV Electronics. After I installed it the trigger wire to the Trombetta relay was not hot, so I was happy. However, after a while I checked the relay and it was warm again. I assumed that the house battery charger was active, but just to be sure I contacted M&M RV Electronics and explained my condition. I'm happy to report that they confirmed that the system is working as designed and that it is normal for the "continuous duty" Trombetta relay to be warm/hot to the touch after awhile when activated.

Thanks for all the responses and Happy Travels!

Jerry
Continuous duty relays have two coils in the same relay. The first coil closes the relay's points and the second holds the points closed as long as current is supplied. If the relay is warm the relay's points are closed and the relay is working as designed. If the relay's case is too hot to touch the closing coil is still activated and the relay should be replaced.

This is different from a latching relay in which the is only one coil. When the coil is activated, the points change position and the coil is then deactivated; therefore, it is an intermittent duty and functions like a manual light switch, as it requires no input to continue passing current.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #24

Model: ACE 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #11074
Thanks for that explanation Jim!

Jerry