Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2015, 12:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 34ST
State: California
THOR #1719
Diesel Runs Out Instead of In to Tank at Truck Stop

Insert nozzle in driver's side fuel door, takes 12 gallons and then overflows. Won't take any more fuel. Tank is half full! Move to other side and insert nozzle in fuel door. Takes 35 gallons.

What am I missing? Absolutely nothing in the horribly-non-user-friendly manual that addresses this.

Thanks for any advice (even "don't use that pump" helps)

Old 03-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I know nothing about what sort of coach you have, but I have read that a common problem with new E-series class c chassis and likely on A coaches too, is a twisted fuel line.

The chassis manufacturer provides a fuel hose for filling the tank, then when Thor builds the house around it, they install the hose attaching it to the side wall or wherever it goes.....
Apparently, they either
a) manhandle and twist the thing to force it to fit, or
b) modify the factory fill hose to extend or move it
with the end result being a twisted fill hose causing exactly the problem you describe.

Crawl under and have a look at the fill hose and connections.
Probably an easy fix.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:31 PM   #3

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1868
You may have a blockage(or kinked) in the vent hose, this hose goes from the tank up to the filler neck to displace the air being pushed out when filling.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Delaware
THOR #3746
All of the above comments are excellent. In addition, I have noticed that the diesel fuel nozzles, especially at truck stops (appear to be larger than regular gas pump nozzles for your car) are typically designed to handle large volumes of fuel quickly for the benefit of tractor trailers with open tanks. The fuel rate going into the tank may be too high and will come bubbling back out if your rig can't handle that much volume at one time. Try putting the fuel in at a slower rate to see if that makes a difference. I had that same problem with my diesel truck. Good luck!!! ..... Joe
Old 03-20-2016, 01:40 AM   #5

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I had a similar problem with a diesel pusher. Someone told me to open the tank cap on the other side of he RV to release the pressure. That was a big mistake. After the tank got to a certain level, the fuel puked out of the other filler.

After that I always filled the rig at less than full volume. Try holding the dispenser lever part way, as OldArmyJeep suggested. But by now, you've probably figured out how to fuel up without a mess or without particularly filling the tank.