Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2018, 04:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Ohio
THOR #9014
Electricity failure

I have a 2017 Thor Vegas, hooked into the campground power, 30 amp. The electricity shut down. Campground staff checked the power, all is good. Inside the breakers and fuses are all good. The electricity did not come on even with the generator running. I did not check the house batteries though. The only thing running before the failure was a tv.
Any ideas on the cause?

Old 11-27-2018, 04:47 AM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Did you check the fuse in battery compartment. I'm not familiar with the Vegas but if it's like my Miramar there is a small button that is thrown will raise a small red flag. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:53 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Sorry I'm typing on my cell phone... That should say IF thrown. If that is the problem simply resetting that breaker should fix it.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:01 AM   #4

THOR #9014
The fuses are all good inside the fuse box. I am not aware of fuses in the battery compartment.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I'm going to assume you mean 120V power as you mentioned the 30A campground feed. That would mean the breaker in the battery box and any fuses aren't the culprit as all of those are 12V.

Given that you're not getting any 120V power using the campground's feed or your generator I would suspect the main breakers (remember they are breakers so they may not look tripped even when they are--you usually have to flip them off and then back on to get them to work again).

If the breakers are good then I would suspect the automatic transfer switch (ATS) which is usually near the generator. Which Vegas do you have? Thor likes to use wire nuts to hook up the ATS going from stranded wire to solid wire--the wire nuts sometimes cut through the strands...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:39 PM   #6

THOR #9014
You have given something to check out. The Vegas is a 25.4. Thank you.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
if you have no 120v power, and:

A) the shore power breaker is not tripped
B) your internal Main breaker(s) are not tripped
C) your generator's own breaker is not tripped

then, you have an issue BETWEEN your ATS, and/or Shore Power cord...

the ATS(automatic transfer switch)'s job is to sense power and allow it to come into the coach, BUT it also will determine 'which' 120v power is to be used, if two are available at the same time.
IF you crank your generator, and it's breaker is not tripped, your ATS will use the generator power, EVEN if you have shore power.
If you don't have generator power, then it will look to use Shore Power, IF the shore power is available.
If the ATS is not operating properly, it could 'delatch' and not provide a flow of 120v power, even if the shore power or generator is working properly.

Many people have had issues with LOOSE wires within the ATS. It's a box, with incoming Shore and Generator power lines, and an outgoing line to your Breaker box. Check and see that ALL wires are TIGHT.(while NOT plugged in or the generator running, of course)

If that is not the issue, then your Shore Power CORD could be the culprit, as they also sometimes loose their connection with the power, either at the side that's connected to the RV, or the end that is plugged into the Shore Power.

If you have a 50amp shore cord, and are using a 30amp adapter, it ALSO could be the issue. Try plugging into another Shore Power pole outlet, or try another adapter.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
My money is on loose wirenuts on the ATS connections.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:23 PM   #9

THOR #9014
I have dealt with electricity. I called a RV repair shop. They should be at my home soon. I am grateful I can sit in the warming sun while I wait. I will be selling this motorhome this summer due to my lack of mechanical knowledge and physical issues. Back to the “sticks and bricks”.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #10

THOR #9014
Ps. I have NOT dealt with electricity.