Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
MaJ

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar
State: Texas
THOR #2192
Emergency Exit Rear Window

I opened my 2015 Thor Miramar 32.1 rear emergency exit window, and it came completely unhinged at the top, and totally out. The window and frame appear undamaged but I cannot figure out how to get it reinstalled. It appears to have a small upside down metal "V" shaped groove along the top of the window (not an actual hinge). I have pushed the loose window frame up into the track it seems to have come out of, but cannot get it the last 1/8" up. This makes the window side of the inner 2 latches unable to catch and lock down properly. There seems to be rubber weather seal in the way of seeing or feeling exactly what to do to get the "V" groove back up and hooked where it came from.

Anyone with experience doing this? We are full timers, so not going anywhere until I can get this addressed some way besides duct tape.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:47 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Fortunately the dealer told me NOT to open the window except in an emergency or it fall out on the ground and break. I asked about putting it back, the tech explained that when you insert the top edge of the window in the groove the window needs to be almost closed or it won't go back in. The window doesn't have to move very far before it disconnects and comes out. You were very lucky the window didn't break, bet they are expensive!!! Hope this helps! Little bit of wigglin and it will probably go back in. I put a strip of red electrical tape on the handle vertically as a reminder cause I don't think my wife always listens to me.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:21 PM   #3
MaJ

THOR #2192
"I asked about putting it back, the tech explained that when you insert the top edge of the window in the groove the window needs to be almost closed or it won't go back in. The window doesn't have to move very far before it disconnects and comes out."

Thanks very much for your answer, Super D. The above quote might just be the one detail I need. When the window popped out, it fell into grass, and nothing was damaged. It did not come out until I had pushed it open approximately 45 degrees from its closed position, then it was a surprise pop sound, followed by freefall. I will update this thread after my next try at reinstallation.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:13 AM   #4

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #1183
Did the "test open and it fell out." In my case it took two people, one inside and one outside on a ladder to get it done. Can't tel you what angle window was at when it finally went back into the slot/grove. I would say one plus hour for two in my case. Also there is a rubber gasket that needs to be re-installed from the outside. It won't go back like it was - period. We stuffed it in with a putty knife. There are two screws on the inside part of the grove that are involved. I took them out during re-install and put them back in as far as they would go when done. Have no idea what they really do.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
interesting. Mine must be different. Had it opened lots of times and it never fell.
I'll have to look at it closer the next time I'm with the RV....
Old 10-28-2016, 07:12 PM   #6
MaJ

THOR #2192
Final solution:
The window was 98% in place, but I needed another 1/8 inch upward on the glass, because the inside latches couldn't snap down all the way.

I put a strip of black duct tape across the top of the window to hold it to the top pane, which doesn't open. This is to keep from having another "fall out" episode, and to help with control during the next step.

With the lower window barely open, outside on the ladder, hands gripping inside at the lower sill area, I put a 3' piece of 1x2 horizontally under the bottom edge of the glass, and used my forearms to press upwards on the wood and glass. This moved the glass up another milimeter beyond where I had it.

After this, I could get the inside latches caught, and partially snapped down. They are now secured with duct tape, and the road test will be in a few weeks, when we relocate. I chose this solution based on risk of breakage if I continued further. I also didn't want to tear off the gasket, as leak consequences far out weigh negatives of the duct tape solution.

I put in a request to Thor tech support, but the answers in this forum were far more responsive. Thank you! Thor has been silent so far. If a more elegant solution to the window reinstall question appears from Thor, I will share it here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1477681699722-385327849.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	3275   Click image for larger version

Name:	1477681784137-633196715.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	3276  

Old 10-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #7
MaJ

THOR #2192
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
interesting. Mine must be different. Had it opened lots of times and it never fell.
I'll have to look at it closer the next time I'm with the RV....
We thought ours was secure too. We have "test" opened it several times since purchase in June '15. This week, we needed extra ventilation in the bedroom after unpackaging a new foam mattress. I was going to prop the window out nice and wide with a piece of dowel. When the window got about to 45 degrees out, the top edge popped out, and down it went.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:31 PM   #8

THOR #5196
If you are emailing Thor, call instead. 877-855-2867 The phone support people have always be nice and helpful every time I have called. Sounds like you might need technical help straight from the horses mouth!
Old 07-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #9

State: Washington
THOR #7217
Exit window.

Does anyone know if they make a rear exit window for the 34f that has ventalation on the upper portion?
Old 07-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #10

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant brazil View Post
Does anyone know if they make a rear exit window for the 34f that has ventalation on the upper portion?
I've never seen one.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant brazil View Post
If you contact the window manufacturer they may be able to assist. The windows on my Challenger are made by Hehr. My bedroom exit window opens at the bottom for ventilation, one one side and the other side is the exit (two part window). My large exit window in the bathroom has a screen and can be opened for ventilation.

Hehr's website

Hehr International
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #1183
I submitted an idea to Thor about this - no answer of course. Hinge whole window on street side and make flat spot on cap under window for stepping out. Then just climb down ladder. Much safer emergency exit.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:52 AM   #13

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
I submitted an idea to Thor about this - no answer of course. Hinge whole window on street side and make flat spot on cap under window for stepping out. Then just climb down ladder. Much safer emergency exit.
That is actually an excellent idea!!! Hope someone at some time takes note of it!
Old 12-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Ohio
THOR #13951
After our son inadvertantly opened up the rear emergency exit and sprung the hinge we were facing the same issue. Following some of the advice listed here we were unable to get the window hinge once again engaged. We are faced with the inevitable choice of replacing the entire window....but...are in the middle of a long southern travel stretch. Our solution was to use a right angle grinder and remove the very top V section of the window hinge. That left more than enough of the hinge so that the window was able to be repositioned in the opening and the latch closed. We added an additional thin piece of weather stripping around the window frame to assure the water seal. We considered using self tapping screws to fasten the lower window to the frame but did not at this time to keep the window as an emergency exit. If in the near term we find the window is not sufficiently sealed nor rattles around in the frame we will go ahead with the self tapping screws, remove the emergency exit label and then replace the entire window later in the spring.

Tags
exit, install, window