Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I was the culprit that mentioned this E85 issue. It is out there and sometimes it will specifically say that it is branded differently than the gas station you pulled into. Yes, it is quite clear that only "FlexFuel" marked vehicles should use this fuel and that leaves out RVs. Not that it is gospel but last year I drove a friends items in a Ford F650 UHaul to her new home in Nevada from Tennessee. There was a big sticker on the fuel tank (gasser) that said NO E85.

E85 doesn't mean 85 Octane. It simply means 15% ethanol vs. the standard 10% in 87 octane gas everywhere. Only Flex-Fuel vehicles (yellow gas cap) can use it (E85) and the performance is sub-standard. The only reason to burn E85 is if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy about tree hugging. Normal 87 Octane will work in anything, unless your engine specifically calls for higher Octane. The Division Bell between ethanol gas and non-ethanol is if the engine is not run often and the gas sits in tanks and fuel lines for long periods. If you're headed from NY to California, use 87 octane at any pump. If you're putting her away for the winter, either crank it and run it every month for a few minutes or fill it with non-ethanol. But you still need to crank it occasionally. Non-Ethanol Gasoline is very difficult to find and usually costs $1.50 more per gallon than normal, every-day 87 octane gas.

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #22

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Ethanol gas yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
E85 doesn't mean 85 Octane. It simply means 15% ethanol vs. the standard 10% in 87 octane gas everywhere. Only Flex-Fuel vehicles (yellow gas cap) can use it (E85) and the performance is sub-standard. The only reason to burn E85 is if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy about tree hugging. Normal 87 Octane will work in anything, unless your engine specifically calls for higher Octane. The Division Bell between ethanol gas and non-ethanol is if the engine is not run often and the gas sits in tanks and fuel lines for long periods. If you're headed from NY to California, use 87 octane at any pump. If you're putting her away for the winter, either crank it and run it every month for a few minutes or fill it with non-ethanol. But you still need to crank it occasionally. Non-Ethanol Gasoline is very difficult to find and usually costs $1.50 more per gallon than normal, every-day 87 octane gas.

That is not correct. E85 is FlexFuel that had 50 - 85% Ethanol!!!!! It does not mean 85 Octane.

It is designed for vehicles that specify use of FlexFuel. Their computers can change the fuel and air requirements for regular gas versus heavy ethanol fuels. Chevy and Ford have some limited vehicles that use FlexFuel.

There is now 88 Octane fuels that are up to 15% Ethanol and can be used in most newer vehicles that run E0 (no ethanol) to E10 (up to 10% ethanol) gasoline.

Do not use E85 in any vehicle that does not say FlexFuel capable on the gas cap!!!!! If you do, you will be getting towed and end up with a very expensive service bill for flushing and servicing the fuel system.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:39 PM   #23

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Old 04-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #24

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
To clarify my post. western states around Yellowstone sell 85 octane regular gas and they sell mid grade at 87 octane. To confuse even more they also sell "flex fuel" 85 percent alcohol.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #25

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
That is not correct. E85 is FlexFuel that had 50 - 85% Ethanol!!!!! It does not mean 85 Octane.

It is designed for vehicles that specify use of FlexFuel. Their computers can change the fuel and air requirements for regular gas versus heavy ethanol fuels. Chevy and Ford have some limited vehicles that use FlexFuel.

There is now 88 Octane fuels that are up to 15% Ethanol and can be used in most newer vehicles that run E0 (no ethanol) to E10 (up to 10% ethanol) gasoline.

Do not use E85 in any vehicle that does not say FlexFuel capable on the gas cap!!!!! If you do, you will be getting towed and end up with a very expensive service bill for flushing and servicing the fuel system.

Slow down and back off the coffee just a bit. I think you just repeated everything I said.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
E85 doesn't mean 85 Octane. It simply means 15% ethanol vs. the standard 10% i
Ummmm...
It actually means that the fuel is 85% ethanol.

I had two flex-fuel Chevy trucks, and it was a real trip whenever I fueled them up...

... No smell of gasoline at all: it was almost as if you were pumping water into the tank!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #27

THOR #11130
I certainly stand corrected...what a blend of crap. Now they want to add more ethanol to the 10% blend. Say goodbye to outboards! From all I read in the BoatUS publications, I've always understood it to be 15% ethanol. So glad I've never used it. I love Dinosaurs.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
With all of the percentages being thrown around: it's easy to flip them...
Old 04-21-2019, 04:11 AM   #29

State: Alberta
THOR #14862
why use E85 or any fuel containing alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Thanks for the info Norrin. A mechanic at a repair shop in West Yellowstone told me something similar. He pointed out as you stated if you fill up at 6,500 ft. then head down to lower elevation the engine may develop spark knock when under load. So as the engine mfgrs say to run their product at minimum 87 octane I do not want to assume the risk of potentially damaging an engine to save .20 a gallon on gas. Running a vehicle with less than the mfgrs suggested octane rating could potentially void the warranty. Though I was surprised by the amount of people filling with the 85.
Besides the many problems with plugged and rotted carb bits, especially if you have an Onan gennie and live where your unit is inaccessible for 5 or 6 months of the year and you can't do the 2 hours a month "exercise" routine on it. I just don't use any form of blended fuel when possible. However my last fill of the season is always at a rural farm equipment dealership that has straight gas, right up into the filler neck, no messing with additives and no more problems.. Lots of his customers operate expensive farm equipment that is twenty or thirty years old and is still very serviceable but wont survive a couple of tanks of modern wonder juice which incidently because of the lower caloric content will reduce your mileage by more than 5 or 6%. Ain"t The Guvmint great!!
Old 04-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #30

Model: Axis 27.7
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12085
Just replaced original gas cap with a locking gas cap. Original gas cap had stamped on it E10. E20 - E85 was in a red circle with a slash through it. Clear enough for me.

Power plant is a Ford E450.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #31

Model: Chateau
State: Idaho
THOR #7541
Ethanol Gas

We burn ethanol gas except for the final tank. I try to empty my tank as much as possible right before we get home. Then fill up with ethanol free gas ($$$).
I think the real issue is the generator. You don't want ethanol gumming things up while storing.
Then just run your generator once a month and be ready for your next trip.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:30 AM   #32

THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindcoyote View Post
We burn ethanol gas except for the final tank. I try to empty my tank as much as possible right before we get home. Then fill up with ethanol free gas ($$$).
I think the real issue is the generator. You don't want ethanol gumming things up while storing.
Then just run your generator once a month and be ready for your next trip.
In my B+ with a 37 gallon gas tank I would dump three cans of Seafoam in the last tank of the season and run that that through the 6L Chevy and the Generac. Kept both engines in A-1 shape during storage. Now with the 80 gallon gas tank in the class A I will be buying the stuff by the case......
Old 04-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #33

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
In my B+ with a 37 gallon gas tank I would dump three cans of Seafoam in the last tank of the season and run that that through the 6L Chevy and the Generac. Kept both engines in A-1 shape during storage. Now with the 80 gallon gas tank in the class A I will be buying the stuff by the case......

Is Seafoam like Sta-bil? I’ve used the latter for storage with good result but always open to using better products.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I prefer my alcohol served over ice...
Old 04-26-2019, 09:35 PM   #35

THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Is Seafoam like Sta-bil? I’ve used the latter for storage with good result but always open to using better products.
Seafoam serves the same function as Stabil. However Seafoam also says there product cleans carbon from intake valves, injectors etc. I started using Seafoam when it was recommended to me by a Mercury Outboard Mechanic back in the 90's. Been using it in my engines ever since.