Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2017, 08:45 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
16-inch Commercial Tires

Just food for thought, or discussion. Have any of you looked at 16-inch commercial tires as a means to increase tire load capacities on most Class Cs that are built on E-350 or E-450 chassis? Or Chevy chassis for that matter?

The Ford E-Series (most Class Cs and Axis/Vegas) come from factory with LT225/75R16 E tires with load rating of 2,680 pounds single and 2,470 pounds dual at 80 PSI (when E-rated per Michelin table). These are just enough to cover the E-450's maximum axle ratings of 5,000 pounds front and 9,600 pounds rear.

There are also Euro-metric Commercial tires in 16-inch rim sizes that can handle significantly more load for the same tire size. A brief explanation is here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...171004194212:s

These tires come with load index as high as 120/121 for size 225/75R16C. As noted by Tire Rack, this "C" stands for Commercial and not Load Range "C", which are followed by Load Range D, E, etc.

In the case of the Continental tire (other brands available), the tire is rated at Load index 121/120R or 3,195 pounds single, and about 3,080 dual at 83 PSI.

I'm not recommending these since I haven't used them, or need them, but they may be of interest to those looking for higher tire load capacities.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
no, but I have been for years looking at the 17.5 inch conversion
another thread currently running on that where someone just did it.

I have looked for higher rated 16 inch but failed to find anything greater than range E
but how does that load range compare?
availability and price?

Too bad I just replaced my MH's shoes this year, or I'd look more into it. I will follow this thread though for future reference! Thanks
Old 10-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #3

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

....cut....

I have looked for higher rated 16 inch but failed to find anything greater than range E
but how does that load range compare?
availability and price?

.....cut.....

I would compare based on load index, not load range which doesn't apply.

For comparison here is Michelins load table for the standard tires that come on E-350 and E-450 dual wheel Cutaways and Stripped Chassis (Axis/Vegas).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5658.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	7253  
Old 10-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #4

THOR #2121
Here is one manufacturer that makes the same size in the 16-inch for commercial vehicles.

I first notice these types of tires in US a few years ago (+/- 2014) when Ford introduced the new Transit in US (different size though). The single rear wheel Transit vans and wagons use tires much smaller than my E-350 LT tires yet their Load index is actually higher. They are more expensive than LT tires, in part because there are fewer manufacturers making them, hence less competition. I expect they are also more expensive because they are built to handle greater loads.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5660.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	7254  
Old 10-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #5

THOR #2121
And here is maximum Load at 83 PSI which is close to 20% higher.

Like I said, I haven't used these so I don't know how they would perform. Strictly going by specs, they offer a lot more capacity than OEM tires without having to go to higher cost of replacing rims by converting to 17.5s. It may be a good-enough middle ground.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5659.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	7255  
Old 10-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This information is WAYYY cool!
Until they pay you better: Thanks a MILLION!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:15 AM   #7

State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Good info anyone with first hand knowledge? Definitely need to keep an eye on this.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:42 AM   #8

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
tires

hancook has 16" tires with good load range, i use them on my one ton's when doing heavy towing, great tires
Old 10-14-2017, 04:39 AM   #9

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
continental tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Here is one manufacturer that makes the same size in the 16-inch for commercial vehicles.

I first notice these types of tires in US a few years ago (+/- 2014) when Ford introduced the new Transit in US (different size though). The single rear wheel Transit vans and wagons use tires much smaller than my E-350 LT tires yet their Load index is actually higher. They are more expensive than LT tires, in part because there are fewer manufacturers making them, hence less competition. I expect they are also more expensive because they are built to handle greater loads.
i would avoid continental tires, they make many weird versions for oem applications and are hard to get a replacement when you need one,
Old 10-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmetal View Post
i would avoid continental tires, they make many weird versions for oem applications and are hard to get a replacement when you need one,

The first ones I noticed which were on Transit vans were also a peculiar size, I believe 235/65R16C, which made replacement even tougher.

At least with the more common 225/75R16C size (originally used on ProMaster vans but now they may have switched to cheaper LT225/75R16) there are many LT variations that could get you home with a Class C, if not carrying a spare, since that's the OEM tire size and rating.

With Transit tires there are no LT235/65R16 size that I'm aware of that have the load capacity to meet the 1-ton SRW vans' requirement. In that case I think you'd have to stick with the commercial tire.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:37 PM   #11

Model: Jayco Greyhawk FS31
THOR #12730
Opinions on My Tires

I confess that I am not up on tires, but am learning a lot through these forums. I drive a 2019 Jayco Greyhawk FS31. 14500 GVWR, and I am presently at 14000 lbs. This leaves me 500 lbs for food, clothes, a bit of water in Grey and Black tanks, spare tire and any passengers besides my wife and I. Not much weight capacity left.

I am riding on Hankook Dyna Pro HT. LT 225/75/R16 E tires. Rated 2680 lbs. single, 2470 lbs. dual. I picked up a spare tire to carry "just in caes". GY Wrangler HT LT 225/75R16 E. Same rating as Hankooks.

What are your opinions and concerns of these tires? Any recommendations going forward?