Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #1
LDK

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Colorado
THOR #13190
Diesel Discount Program

Hi all. Have been using TSD Logistics discount diesel fuel program for quite some time. Just read about a similar discount program through Innovation Energy Group. Has anyone else joined this program and if so are there pros/cons versus TSD Logistics?

Old 07-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
in all our 107,000+ miles of travel over the last 6 years, I've never used any type of 'discount program' since they tend to either steer you toward brands that might be overpriced, or they require a lot of 'leg work' to every actually 'see' the discount, meaning using your checking account for an automatic 'eft' when you purchase through the program, waiting til the end of the month to 'see' your 'savings', or something along those lines. For truckers in the 'business' of trucking and fueling almost every day-maybe, but for the vast majority of those of us just enjoying traveling, I would think it's quite some work to ever get close to any actual 'savings' that might be implied.

I've used GAS BUDDY as my go-to source for the best DIESEL or even REGULAR gas prices around the country. I simply use my credit card to make the purchase, wherever it might be, and that wmt card also gives me either a 1% automatic savings, or even 2% if at Murphy stations - which are sometimes in play. I see the rebate immediately to my account, and can 'cash out' anytime I wish, or use those to lower my overall bill at the end of the month - either way, it's cash in my pocket that otherwise would not have been there, even IF I used the 'cheapest' fuel station along the way. The lower cost of the fuel is certainly nice, when you also know that only one exit farther the price is 20 cents higher.

Some folks will just default to the 'easiest' fuel station to use, since they don't want to use the 'car' lanes, but the truck lanes, even though I've seen truck stops and the like be quite a lot more in terms of price per gallon.
Some of us will use ANY type of fuel station, regardless of whether it has dedicated 'diesel' lanes or not, but most now put those on the outside pumps so that trucks and those towing have an easier time maneuvering into and out of those stations.

To give you an example of 'savings', if you have the information and you want to use it for your benefit, is using GAS BUDDY, or the app, to look at all the pricing along your route, wherever it might be.
We left N Huntsville AL last month, heading to S Georgia. I looked at the route, mainly the shortest being 431 south most of the way, onto 280, and into Georgia. If I just looked at stations along that route, I'd probably see little savings over most others. Zooming out slightly, though, showed that several exits from I85/280, in Auburn, AL, was a Sams Club, with $1.58 diesel. Most other stations were $1.90 to over $2.20 or more.
If I had just 'driven' this route from Huntsville and had only 'hoped' I'd find a good station, price wise, I'd probably found something acceptable for about $1.95 or so, not really so 'bad', but not really so 'good', either, when you compare it to $1.58.

There are some realistic financial calculations that some of use, whether simply in our head, or actually on a calculator, that reminds you that 'going out of the way' for 'cheaper' fuel does not always equate to 'savings', though it may seem that way at the time. If you coach gets 10mpg, and you drive 30 miles out of the 'way' to get 45 gallons, which is about 1/2 tank for me, and you are 'saving' 5 cents per gallon, then you are paying an overall lower price of 45gal x 5cents = $2.25 savings. But, your 'out of the way' trip to that fuel station also cost you 3 gallons in fuel, which at $1.95 for 15 miles 'there', and $1.90 for the 15 miles 'back', renders a cost average of $1.925, or $5.78 ... you LOST money!
If a station with a lower price is 'out of the way', it's just possible, even with a seemingly 'great' price, that it won't 'pay' to go there, no matter how 'enticing' it may seem, but if the payoff is great enough, then the odds are more in your favor, especially if a wider difference and a shorter trip! If it was along your path to start with, that's just a BONUS!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

cut...

There are some realistic financial calculations that some of use, whether simply in our head, or actually on a calculator, that reminds you that 'going out of the way' for 'cheaper' fuel does not always equate to 'savings', though it may seem that way at the time. If you coach gets 10mpg, and you drive 30 miles out of the 'way' to get 45 gallons, which is about 1/2 tank for me, and you are 'saving' 5 cents per gallon, then you are paying an overall lower price of 45gal x 5cents = $2.25 savings. But, your 'out of the way' trip to that fuel station also cost you 3 gallons in fuel, which at $1.95 for 15 miles 'there', and $1.90 for the 15 miles 'back', renders a cost average of $1.925, or $5.78 ... you LOST money!
If a station with a lower price is 'out of the way', it's just possible, even with a seemingly 'great' price, that it won't 'pay' to go there, no matter how 'enticing' it may seem, but if the payoff is great enough, then the odds are more in your favor, especially if a wider difference and a shorter trip! If it was along your path to start with, that's just a BONUS!
I'm going to get a little anal on you here. No offense intended.

There's other costs involved with going that far out of the way:
- intangibles
- wear and tear (tires, brakes, motor, oil, etc)
- time, but that's even too anal for me...
Old 07-08-2020, 07:37 PM   #4

THOR #4735
Right!

(but I just wanted to keep it to 'simple' math!) : )
Old 07-08-2020, 07:48 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
So I take it that you'd suggest using Gas Buddy first?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #6

THOR #4735
that's certainly my go-to app... after that, nothing else matters : )
Old 07-08-2020, 07:51 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If it's good enough for you: it's WAYYY too good for me!
(But I'm grabbing the app now anyway... )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:42 PM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
in all our 107,000+ miles of travel over the last 6 years, I've never used any type of 'discount program' since they tend to either steer you toward brands that might be overpriced, or they require a lot of 'leg work' to every actually 'see' the discount, meaning using your checking account for an automatic 'eft' when you purchase through the program, waiting til the end of the month to 'see' your 'savings', or something along those lines. For truckers in the 'business' of trucking and fueling almost every day-maybe, but for the vast majority of those of us just enjoying traveling, I would think it's quite some work to ever get close to any actual 'savings' that might be implied.

I've used GAS BUDDY as my go-to source for the best DIESEL or even REGULAR gas prices around the country. I simply use my credit card to make the purchase, wherever it might be, and that wmt card also gives me either a 1% automatic savings, or even 2% if at Murphy stations - which are sometimes in play. I see the rebate immediately to my account, and can 'cash out' anytime I wish, or use those to lower my overall bill at the end of the month - either way, it's cash in my pocket that otherwise would not have been there, even IF I used the 'cheapest' fuel station along the way. The lower cost of the fuel is certainly nice, when you also know that only one exit farther the price is 20 cents higher.

Some folks will just default to the 'easiest' fuel station to use, since they don't want to use the 'car' lanes, but the truck lanes, even though I've seen truck stops and the like be quite a lot more in terms of price per gallon.
Some of us will use ANY type of fuel station, regardless of whether it has dedicated 'diesel' lanes or not, but most now put those on the outside pumps so that trucks and those towing have an easier time maneuvering into and out of those stations.

To give you an example of 'savings', if you have the information and you want to use it for your benefit, is using GAS BUDDY, or the app, to look at all the pricing along your route, wherever it might be.
We left N Huntsville AL last month, heading to S Georgia. I looked at the route, mainly the shortest being 431 south most of the way, onto 280, and into Georgia. If I just looked at stations along that route, I'd probably see little savings over most others. Zooming out slightly, though, showed that several exits from I85/280, in Auburn, AL, was a Sams Club, with $1.58 diesel. Most other stations were $1.90 to over $2.20 or more.
If I had just 'driven' this route from Huntsville and had only 'hoped' I'd find a good station, price wise, I'd probably found something acceptable for about $1.95 or so, not really so 'bad', but not really so 'good', either, when you compare it to $1.58.

I have done the same thing and often driving a few blocks will result in 50 cents per gallon or even more difference in price for name brand fuel

Using Gas Buddy is certainly a motorist/campers friend

The overpricing and discount gimmick is not my cup of tea

I don't have an issue of getting in and out of tighter spaces and fuel accordingly given the 150 gallon tank. Avoid peak times no matter where you fuel
Old 05-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #9
LDK

THOR #13190
For those interested in the diesel savings programs.

I finally used the program from Innovation Energy Group. My typical go to has been the discount through TSD Logistics, but I found the nicely discounted and convenient to use for big rigs TA truck stops not being as available where I am travelling.

If interested in learning more, here is the website:
https://www.mydieselsavings.com/rv-program

Scroll down near the bottom to see a map of the discounts.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:28 PM   #10
LDK

THOR #13190
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK View Post

I finally used the program from Innovation Energy Group. My typical go to has been the discount through TSD Logistics, but I found the nicely discounted and convenient to use for big rigs TA truck stops not being as available where I am travelling.

There is now an app available called MDS RV Station Map.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I just added the Gas Buddy app to my phone.

Paul
Old 05-05-2021, 05:26 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK View Post

A 2.00 transaction fee for every transaction. Talk about a rip off. That is over 3 times the EFS rate with TDS. No thank you very much
Old 05-05-2021, 07:56 PM   #13

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
When you need fuel, look for the best price and easiest place to get into at the time you need fuel. Sometimes you'll get bit...most of the time you'll be fine. If you pay too much, eat hotdogs for dinner and drink cheap beer...you'll make it up.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:56 PM   #14
LDK

THOR #13190
It is another tool to use as you please, or not.