Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2019, 04:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #16106
A few easy questions from a beginner

Hello!!

Proud new household owner of a Thor Chateau 22b

Took our first trip up to Santa Monica and had a blast!!!

Just ran into a few questions that I imagine would be easily solved by the experienced RVers here.

1. The outlet that controls our TV and BluRay player seems to be temperamental. Other outlets work, but the one that the TV and BluRay player plug into in the overhead cabinet has only worked once or twice.
The dealership said to check the GFCI that's located somewhere near the sink but we were unable to find anything there.

2. We ordered the standard Ford keyless lock/unlock keyfob and attempted to program it with the classic ignition on to off and back 8 times to enter programming mode trick, but the vehicle cab did not enter programming mode (lock and unlock). Do some Ford cabs not have the wireless receiver? This is a brand new coach.

3. The space in the bedroom designed to have a TV mounted is a very thin piece of wood, reminds me of light balsa. What's the go-to way to mount a TV there that will be sturdy and robust? I'm scared it'll just rip out as the TV mount we bought on Amazon is heavier than the TV itself.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this!!

Very excited to learn more about this amazing motorcoach from you all!!!

Old 07-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #2

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Hey welcome to the forum! We are newbies on the forum but have owned 3 RVs over an 8 year period so we'll try to help you!

1. The GCFI should be a 110V plug in your bathroom usually by the sink with a reset button on it. If you see a light (usually an amber color) it means that the switch is tripped. Our Aria 4000's was tripped w/o our knowledge but we figured it out on our first road trip.

2. No Ford key fob knowledge-sorry!

3. The TV board is likely to be discarded once you decide on which TV to mount. Our Aria's bedroom TV is mounted to the cabinet door and folds up to easily access the wiring, HDMI sockets, etc. and provides "hidden" storage as well. You could even mount a small safe for valuables in there. Recommend speaking with your dealer about ordering the matching cabinet door of your coach, associated mounting hardware, and the matching mount for the TV you choose.

Enjoy the journey-hope this helps!
GVP
Old 07-24-2019, 10:49 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #12839
If the TV outlet is intermittent then I doubt it is GFI related, because that would be dead until you manually reset it.
I had a similar issue with our RV. The outlets they put in RVs are cheap things with weak push in wire connectors. I recommend removing the outlet (the outlets are held in by flag levers that flip out and pull against the backside of the panel, remove the snap on bezel, turn the latch screws counterclockwise about 6 times until it's loose and lift out), then you can check the wires to see if they are both stripped back enough and inserted securely.
I hope this helps!
Old 07-24-2019, 11:52 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Question

Re #1 - - It's a long shot but I have to ask... Is the engine running when the TV and BluRay aren't working ? If so, that's normal. Thor has those outlets wired to go dead when the engine is running to eliminate the possibility of the driver watching TV while driving.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
Re #1 - - It's a long shot but I have to ask... Is the engine running when the TV and BluRay aren't working ? If so, that's normal. Thor has those outlets wired to go dead when the engine is running to eliminate the possibility of the driver watching TV while driving.
I’ve never seen this before...
The TV outlets, in fact all outlets, only work when plugged into shore power or when the generator is running (The TV’s that Thor installs run on 110 volts only) Or
You can install an integrated Inverter that powers the outlets with 110 volts without being plugged into shore power or Genny running (An Inverter takes 12 volt battery power and converts it to 110 volts)
Old 07-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I don't have any answers for you...

But welcome to the Forum!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:22 PM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I’ve never seen this before...
The TV outlets, in fact all outlets, only work when plugged into shore power or when the generator is running (The TV’s that Thor installs run on 110 volts only) Or
You can install an integrated Inverter that powers the outlets with 110 volts without being plugged into shore power or Genny running (An Inverter takes 12 volt battery power and converts it to 110 volts)
I should have clarified... With my 30FE, if I'm on shore power and want to run the engine for some reason, or on generator power (which may happen if we're running the rooftop A/C while on the road) and the engine is running, the TV over the cab goes dead. Turn the engine off, and the TV is powered again.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:31 PM   #8

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Ok
There’s probably a cutoff switch somewhere along the line
So trace back from outlet or forward from the Converter
Search the Forum and the Google
It’s probably an easy mod to alter the outlet.

If not...try this,
- unplug TV above cab
- run an extension cord from TV to another outlet
- turn on Genny & Engine
That’ll at least tell you part of the story and a way to circumvent issue temporarily
Old 07-27-2019, 01:12 AM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
A few easy questions from a beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
I should have clarified... With my 30FE, if I'm on shore power and want to run the engine for some reason, or on generator power (which may happen if we're running the rooftop A/C while on the road) and the engine is running, the TV over the cab goes dead. Turn the engine off, and the TV is powered again.

A requirement for manufacturers... any tv in view of driver must be disabled when driving. So any over cab TV would have this.
My 2000 Infinity had a switch integrated with emergency brake... others I expect tie to ignition.
Current rv has no tv in view of driver.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:29 AM   #10

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Texas
THOR #12938
Had very similar problems in my last Coachmen. Intermittent power at bathroom outlet. Pulled outlet and found wires were cut too short and pulled loose from push-in connector.
Reseated cable and all was well again. TV was plugged into a relay operated outlet above cab and anytime ignition was on power was interrupted. Replaced outlet with a 3-way socket to restore power so grandkids could watch DVDs while on the way.

From your post it sounds as if you ordered the keyless fobs AFTER taking delivery of the coach and now you need to program them into the chassis. Unless the chassis was delivered to THOR equipped with Ford keyless entry your fobs will probably never work. It is highly unusual for any vehicle equipped with keyless entry to be delivered without fobs. It sounds like your coach does NOT have the hardware to utilize keyless entry.
A search of Ford E series chassis on their website returns availability of factory keyless on 2018 and 2019 chassis so it is possible you have the hardware, but why no fobs?
The presence of electric locks does not indicate the presence of keyless entry electronics to operate them. That is an extra cost option.
It is also possible yours came with after market keyless entry in which case Ford fobs will never work! After market fobs have no Ford logo. Thor is prone to using after market
keyless units to save cost and I suspect that is what you have. Check any fobs the dealer provided upon delivery for the Ford logo and go from there.

As far as mounting a tv on a paper thin wall, you would need to locate the framework behind it to safely mount it. I used a standard stud finder to find my interior wood framework which is nothing more than a 2x2 or smaller. Lots of luck on this one.

Welcome to the forum. I, too, am relatively new here and I learn something new every time I log on. This is my 4th motorhome and 4th manufacturer in 18 years.
You are going to encounter problems that seem insurmountable but you probably will find a solution here. As one dealer told me, when I commented that maybe I should have purchased a more expensive unit to avoid the usual PDI issues, "million dollar coaches come with million dollar problems". Nuff said!