Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2017, 01:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #1291
Fiberglas repair

Looks like we had a rock hit the corner of the rig and took a good chunk out. Maybe quarter of an inch... do they sell repair kids or what do you do in a case like that ?

Old 06-17-2017, 02:15 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You can go to auto parts store and get a kit, or go to a boat repair shop that does fiberglassing. There are videos on YouTube that show how to repair fiberglass, please watch first if you have never worked with fiberglass before. Sorry for your accident, kinda makes you want to cry!

Mr best friend backed in to a tree limb and poked a 6" hole in the rear cap, took about four hours to fix, most of which was letting the fiberglass harden.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:28 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Fiberglass repair is not difficult, I have done many major and minor repairs on boats and RVs. If the chunk is a hole, you will have to use a fiberglass sheet and resin behind the hole and then fill it in from the front. Go to YouTube and search for fiberglass repair or fiberglass repair kit and there are tons of videos on how to repair it. Buy a good kit and have at it.
The real problem is getting the correct spray paint in a can to repaint the area when you are finished with the repair. For my 2014 Vegas, Thor gave me the paint codes and if was simple to order a perfect match on line. They have refused to give me the codes for my Axis so I have not been able to buy the paint.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:21 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
For my 2014 Vegas, Thor gave me the paint codes and if was simple to order a perfect match on line. They have refused to give me the codes for my Axis so I have not been able to buy the paint.[/QUOTE]

I had good luck with taking the rig to an auto paint store and letting them use their calibrated camera to get the matching color. The camera output tells them how to create a matching paint for you. That could be the same as new or if your rig has faded a bit, it will match the fade just as well. I found that I needed a different color for each side as one side had faded differently.
So you don't need paint data from Thor, just find a good auto paint store and let them create your match.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 06-17-2017, 03:31 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
When we had our stone cracks fixed the guys doing the repair matched one of the stripes on the coach instead of the base color. That way they didn't have to mix in their paint with the backround and hope it looks good.

Now we have a unique Axis
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #6

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Washington
THOR #7426
Any chance you could post a photo? I could probably tell you exactly how I would repair it. Laying fiberglass is usually the extreme as there are so many other ways to fill a hole or fix a crack. Look forward to helping out if I can get a better idea of the damage.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #7

THOR #1291
https://goo.gl/photos/w8mMQVtM4F3tz72f7

Let me know if the URL doesnt work
Old 06-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #8

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Washington
THOR #7426
Fiberglas repair

Ok. This one should be easy to repair. I would purchase resin, cabosil, MEK and the color you need to match. You can most likely buy the majority of the supplies from a place like a Home Depot or Lowes. The cabosil is a filler that will help you turn the resin into more of a paste. The MEK is the activator that you'll use when you're ready to apply the material. Here are the basics.

1. Tape around the damaged area leaving yourself about an 1/8" of good material surrounding it.

2. Scuff up the area with 80-120 grit sand paper.

3. Clean well with acetone.

4. Apply your mixture of putty, hardener and color. Keep your putty as nice and possible as this will reduce the sanding you have to do once dried.

5. Once dry, use a lighter sand paper (maybe 600 grit) getting up to a 1000 grit. I really like using the 3M sanding sponges. They make a medium, fine and ultrafine that would get you by.

6. Polish and your done!

The basis of using this putty is to avoid having to spray your color. It will give you a close enough match when you're done and make it way easier.

Hope that gives you an idea.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #9

THOR #1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by acustis View Post
Ok. This one should be easy to repair. I would purchase resin, cabosil, MEK and the color you need to match. You can most likely buy the majority of the supplies from a place like a Home Depot or Lowes. The cabosil is a filler that will help you turn the resin into more of a paste. The MEK is the activator that you'll use when you're ready to apply the material. Here are the basics.

1. Tape around the damaged area leaving yourself about an 1/8" of good material surrounding it.

2. Scuff up the area with 80-120 grit sand paper.

3. Clean well with acetone.

4. Apply your mixture of putty, hardener and color. Keep your putty as nice and possible as this will reduce the sanding you have to do once dried.

5. Once dry, use a lighter sand paper (maybe 600 grit) getting up to a 1000 grit. I really like using the 3M sanding sponges. They make a medium, fine and ultrafine that would get you by.

6. Polish and your done!

Hope that gives you an idea.

It sure does, thanks for your detailed info. Between that and youtube I should be able to fix it. I'll post the result in here when I am done.

Thanks again
Old 06-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Acustis, Great explanation on the repair!
Old 06-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #11

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
For my 2014 Vegas, Thor gave me the paint codes and if was simple to order a perfect match on line. They have refused to give me the codes for my Axis so I have not been able to buy the paint.
I had good luck with taking the rig to an auto paint store and letting them use their calibrated camera to get the matching color. The camera output tells them how to create a matching paint for you. That could be the same as new or if your rig has faded a bit, it will match the fade just as well. I found that I needed a different color for each side as one side had faded differently.
So you don't need paint data from Thor, just find a good auto paint store and let them create your match.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca[/QUOTE]

See you also live in Florida. Which auto paint store did you use?
Old 06-18-2017, 04:08 AM   #12

THOR #3520
Hi Oneilkeys,
I went to my local location of Ben's Paint Supply in Gainesville. Great folks with good service. They may have a location near you.
No affiliation with Ben's, just a satisfied customer.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca (currently camped under the redwoods)
Old 06-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #13

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLoca View Post
Hi Oneilkeys,
I went to my local location of Ben's Paint Supply in Gainesville. Great folks with good service. They may have a location near you.
No affiliation with Ben's, just a satisfied customer.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca (currently camped under the redwoods)
Thanks. Must be the one on NE4th street. Actually the first stop on our upcoming two month trip to Nova Scotia is Gainesville to visit friends. Did they fill the order as you waited or did you have to wait some time to pick it up? We are probably only staying a half a day or so. Thanks for the tip. Lucky you (camped under the redwoods).
Old 06-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #14

THOR #3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Thanks. Must be the one on NE4th street. Actually the first stop on our upcoming two month trip to Nova Scotia is Gainesville to visit friends. Did they fill the order as you waited or did you have to wait some time to pick it up? We are probably only staying a half a day or so. Thanks for the tip. Lucky you (camped under the redwoods).
I suppose Ben's might be able to fill a rush order but I gave them a couple of days. Mailing those high volatile paints might be a problem but you could ask about UPS and let the paint catch up to you later. But Ben's has several locations in Florida. There might be one closer to you. Check them online.
And by the way, not only camped under the redwoods but volunteering in a National Park visitor center for the summer. It's a great life.
Best wishes, Chuck in CasaLoca
Old 06-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #15

THOR #1291
I saw there is also a small crack from the hole.. what kind of tool should I use in the dreml to cut that out/grind it down before I fix it ?