Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 24 TF, Mercedes
State: Washington
THOR #11249
Fire Stick 4K

Curious if anyone is using this as their method of watching TV on the road? We are planning some extended travel starting next month and plan to use this along with a WiFi hot spot through our LTE cell phones (we have 5 of them with unlimited data) for our campground TV viewing. Also does anyone have experience with the Jailbreaked fire sticks? seems way to good to be true.. Hopefully I posted this in the right location.

Steve

Old 12-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #13460
Steve, we use both a Firestick & Roku Stick in our coach. Both work well, it really depends on the quality of your internet connection. If you have connection problems, you may want to check out the products from WiFi Ranger, they can help a lot. As far as jailbreaking a fire stick, ck the net, it seems to be very easy from what I've read... :}
Old 12-04-2018, 06:41 PM   #3

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
We love fire stick. Easier to deal with than my Dish Network. We also have an Echo Dot setup also. All depends on your internet signal. It does not have to be strong, only constant. We rarely get more than 2 bars on our Verizon MiFi.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:45 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymac View Post
We love fire stick. Easier to deal with than my Dish Network. We also have an Echo Dot setup also. All depends on your internet signal. It does not have to be strong, only constant. We rarely get more than 2 bars on our Verizon MiFi.
May sound obvious but do you need a Verizon account to use the MiFi? I mean, stranger things have happened and the Mifi is just a booster - right?
Old 12-04-2018, 06:50 PM   #5

THOR #11249
Not sure about the MiFi... I will be using a WeBoost to enhance our cell signal.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #6

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
Great question! Mifi is not a booster. Think of it more like a cell phone that creates a hot-spot. Once you have the hot-spot other devices can log into the internet signal created by the MiFi.

Go to the verizonwireless.com and look up their Mifi devices. Mine cost me $20 per month. I can carry the MiFi in my pocket and have a signal everywhere I go. Also, I believe you can turn off the unit if you only use it while camping. Once you reactivate, you pay $20 for that month.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:06 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymac View Post
Great question! Mifi is not a booster. Think of it more like a cell phone that creates a hot-spot. Once you have the hot-spot other devices can log into the internet signal created by the MiFi.

Go to the verizonwireless.com and look up their Mifi devices. Mine cost me $20 per month. I can carry the MiFi in my pocket and have a signal everywhere I go. Also, I believe you can turn off the unit if you only use it while camping. Once you reactivate, you pay $20 for that month.
I can create a hot spot on my phone so it's redundant for me. Thank you for the clarification.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:26 AM   #8

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Firestick Jailbreak

I bought a so called overpriced Jailbreaked Firestick, it works great.
It is not really Jailbroken, its just loading the right App to get what you want.
One of the apps was taken down so I started researching on what is the best apps for Firestick and how to add them. That is when I realized I over paid to have it "Jail Broken"

Just google search or search youtube "how to add apps to the firestick"
Very simple to do youtube actually has step by step tutorial.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
I just sent my Dish TV a packing Bye Bye 4 Ever $143.00 per. Month. Now Hulu LIVE TV. $39.99 Month. With fire stick or Roku. Greatest thing I have done. No more boxes/cables/plugs....Yes I get Local ch. Live Sports Live Cable News Live...use everywhere & anywhere..No Contracts. Did have Satellite on my other units. No need now.Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeR1(1).jpeg
Views:	201
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	14470Click image for larger version

Name:	20181201_111125.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	14471Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20181121_155550.jpeg
Views:	274
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	14472
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
I just sent my Dish TV a packing Bye Bye 4 Ever $143.00 per. Month. Now Hulu LIVE TV. $39.99 Month. With fire stick or Roku. Greatest thing I have done. No more boxes/cables/plugs....Yes I get Local ch. Live Sports Live Cable News Live...use everywhere & anywhere..No Contracts. Did have Satellite on my other units. No need now.
We did a similar thing: Ditched cable and went with Playstation Vue for live TV.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
I was Very sceptical about streaming. You know it's a great product when my Wife says she likes it better.[emoji28][emoji28] They really did an Awesome job. What a $$$ saver.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #12

THOR #11249
Exactly.. Dish just bumped my home bill up and to go mobile was gonna cost even more. So got my fire TV stick last night and I'm super pleased with it so far and I agree it seems to be the way to go. I've added Sling for now and already had Prime & Netflex so the wife will be happy. We're going semi full-time next month and I feel like I can cross TV concerns off the list now, only 58 other things to worry about now. Also thanks to everyone who chimed in with comments, it's been very helpful.

Steve
Old 12-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #13

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy66 View Post
Exactly.. Dish just bumped my home bill up and to go mobile was gonna cost even more. So got my fire TV stick last night and I'm super pleased with it so far and I agree it seems to be the way to go. I've added Sling for now and already had Prime & Netflex so the wife will be happy. We're going semi full-time next month and I feel like I can cross TV concerns off the list now, only 58 other things to worry about now. Also thanks to everyone who chimed in with comments, it's been very helpful.

Steve
Hey, you forgot to look at the list on the next page.... And the next one and the next one.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #14

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Fire Stick 4K

We’ve got Fire Sticks on all three TVs in our coach. It works great when we have a decent cell signal, but is frustrating when the cell signal is inadequate for streaming. I’ve been thinking about installing a WeBoost RV Cell Phone Booster ($500), but was hoping to find a less expensive solution. I may just have to bite the bullet and get the WeBoost. If I do get it, I think I will install the external antenna on a telescoping pole that I can extend once we’re at our campsite.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #15

THOR #11249
P.S. After buying it I found some youtube's suggesting that the over the road truckers antenna might be the better option. It's mast is spring mounted and just looks more durable

also just noticed that "editing" wipes out the original post:

I'm also adding a telescoping antenna pole to mount on my ladder, it will be about A/C unit height for travel and about 4ft up from there when stopped. The WeBoost worked good on a test inside my house with the antenna just laying on the patio in a chair. I'm in a real bad cell spot and it bumped up 2 bars to 4 and sometimes 5, properly mounted it should work really good. It is quite a bit of coin though I will agree with that..
What part of Texas are you in? Next month we're heading to the Rio Grand Valley for a couple months for golf and visiting friends.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #10717
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
We’ve got Fire Sticks on all three TVs in our coach. It works great when we have a decent cell signal, but is frustrating when the cell signal is inadequate for streaming. I’ve been thinking about installing a WeBoost RV Cell Phone Booster ($500), but was hoping to find a less expensive solution. I may just have to bite the bullet and get the WeBoost. If I do get it, I think I will install the external antenna on a telescoping pole that I can extend once we’re at our campsite.
I was close to getting the WeBoost but decided to wait because 5g service should be coming out soon and the WeBoost only works with 4g. Also, you can get better cell service using a stand alone hotspot device https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/
than using your cell phone as a hot spot.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:32 PM   #17

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte534j View Post
I was close to getting the WeBoost but decided to wait because 5g service should be coming out soon and the WeBoost only works with 4g. Also, you can get better cell service using a stand alone hotspot device https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/
than using your cell phone as a hot spot.
Yeah but it will be years before most towers are convertered to 5g. I still hit 3 g towers in certain areas. So you will see mostly 4g in the rural areas and 5g in the big cities.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #10717
Looks like you are correct:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/what-is-5g/
Ughh... i was proud on limiting my spending this year on toys for the RV
Lots of people seem very happy with the WeBoost, that was the model i was going to purchase. There are lots of antenna options as well.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:12 PM   #19

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
THOR #12231
I have the Weboot RV 4g and love it. For the most part I will gain two bars with it.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #20

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #13460
Only issue, if it is an issue at all is that the indoor antenna has very little range. You have to keep your phone quite close to it for optimum signal. Works OK though with that.