Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
Firestone Coil Rite for Axis.

Hi all, has anyone fitted air assist bags to their front suspension ? I feel the Axis sits a little low on the front end and I wonder whether it may aid leveling when on a pitch if it's connected to a small, on board compressor and gauge set up. I'm sure it won't give you much leveling capability, but 3 or 4 inches would help. Our previous RV,s were larger Gulfstream and National models with full leveling and, boy, do I miss it.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quite a few of us have put Sumo Springs on. They are sort of airbags without the compressor. It does make it ride a lot nicer. I don't think they raise the front much if any, however.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:10 AM   #3

Model: vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #12326
so I have been researching as much as I can to no clear answer yet so I'll throw it out here. I can get front air springs helpers and rear bags with a compressor kit and a 4 switch panel to control each corner. My thinking is since I need to get bags in rear to tow my enclosed trailer, lets get the air helper springs up front so I can at least get a few inches to play with in leveling my 2018 vegas out at the camp site. Trying to kill 2 birds in 1 shot. anybody here do it? thanks
Old 07-17-2018, 01:16 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBaby!!! View Post
so I have been researching as much as I can to no clear answer yet so I'll throw it out here. I can get front air springs helpers and rear bags with a compressor kit and a 4 switch panel to control each corner. My thinking is since I need to get bags in rear to tow my enclosed trailer, lets get the air helper springs up front so I can at least get a few inches to play with in leveling my 2018 vegas out at the camp site. Trying to kill 2 birds in 1 shot. anybody here do it? thanks
Not sure how effective leveling the coach using the tires helps as it will still "rock and roll" when you walk around. Granted you'll be level so the refer will work good. Given that the Axis/Vegas units ride front low anyway you'll probably find that 2" in the front isn't enough to get it level. (I frequently have to use 2 or 3 levels of the Lynx Leveler blocks to get the coach level.)

The Axis/Vegas units to tend to bounce around a bit from people walking around (granted you're used to that since you've had van based RVs in the past). Especially when someone is up in the bunk.

I put scissor jacks on our Axis to provide some stabilization once it is level.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
One of the first things I noticed with our Vegas 24.1 is that addition of 5500 lb open race car trailer did not drop hitch much at all. Even on 1st trip to scale with 890 lbs of tongue weight, it moved 1//2 inch. After moving car and steel ramps to get within proper tongue weight it moves 3/8".

My previous tow vehicle (2007 Suburban LT) required addition of air bags after 8 years to get hitch/handling back to original. I am wondering if Vegas spring will need assist in time considering it is already carrying a lot of static weight 12,800 or so with everything for track.

I do look at distance from tire to fender as an indicator if spring settling. Tire wear, mainly front is excellent at present.