Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2017, 12:44 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I didnt have any problems with the two valves and gaskets i installed. Sounds like the reviews were from people not following directions. User error is common but people lije to blame the product
So true! When reading feedback on items you can tell pretty easily when people don't know what they were doing.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:02 AM   #22

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Ford recommends 7500 miles. But, for the very first change, I like to get the oil out sooner. There can be more debris in a brand new engine during break in. The Ford service rep looked at me kinda baffled when I inquired about bringing the MH in for early service. I told them the same thing. We had about 5500 miles on ours. I then had it switched to Motorcraft full synthetic. With todays new synth oils, change intervals can be extended. Thus, the 7500 mark from Ford.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:32 AM   #23

Model: 2017 ACE 29.3
State: California
THOR #7100
Just did my first one t 3,600. And will start doing them every 5,000 now.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:43 AM   #24

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
We're about to do the first oil change on our Challenger. My husband does oil changes himself. For our 2016 F-53 Ford chassis, Ford recommends either 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil or 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil. Can anyone suggest why one would be better over the other? What did you choose and why?
I am somewhat interested where you got that Ford gave you a choice between the two oil weights. I disagree with the comment that one is for warm weather and one for cold weather. That is the way oil weights were discussed 40-50 years ago. Things have changed with closely engineered tolerances in engines as well as engineered synthetic and non-synthetic oils. Engines are engineered for running operating temps that are consistent and call for specific oil weights to protect the engine, provide for emission requirements and fuel mileage, etc. The only issue with cold vs. warm weather is the first part, the 5W... this lets the oil be thin for cold start ups so that damage isn't done when it is first started up. I would suggest again that you see what is marked on the oil filler cap and just stick with what it says. Synthetic, synthetic blend or regular oil, the choice is up to you but you still have to change according to the manufacturer's maintenance schedule or the warranty issues will be an issue. Our 2016 Axis, which has the 2 valve V-10 instead of your 3-valve on the F53 calls for 5W-30. I buy a 5 qt jug of synthetic at WalMart and give it to my service guy when I want it changed. Oh yes, it does hold 6 quarts....