Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2020, 04:17 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Interesting comments and articles

We typically go West in the fall but try to avoid zero weather unless it catches us in Western KS in late November

For reference we have 4 T105 AGMs

On a 20 degree F night we can still brew coffee and run the microwave for a few minutes and then we are in a gray area in the morning after 11 hours or so of down time

That is with heat on all night on 12v

My flooded having been mistreated would die around 7 having been charged completely at 7 the evening prior

Lithium was just to expensive for the gain and the cold weather issues

Most of the larger and niche batteries have gone up in price a bit

Old 10-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
One option AGM batteries offer versus flooded is being able to place them inside; although many prefer batteries outside the living space even though AGM don’t have the same level of gassing as flooded batteries. I have seen quite a few van campers (both do-it-yourself and factory built) with batteries inside living space. Since inside of coach is cooled and heated, battery temperatures remain closer to ideal even when camping below freezing.

Some new vehicles like Ford Transit have AGM batteries located under seat, so unless they are vented through floor, makes me think that Ford deems it acceptable to install them inside.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #23

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
One option AGM batteries offer versus flooded is being able to place them inside; although many prefer batteries outside the living space even though AGM don’t have the same level of gassing as flooded batteries. I have seen quite a few van campers (both do-it-yourself and factory built) with batteries inside living space. Since inside of coach is cooled and heated, battery temperatures remain closer to ideal even when camping below freezing.

Some new vehicles like Ford Transit have AGM batteries located under seat, so unless they are vented through floor, makes me think that Ford deems it acceptable to install them inside.
I have noted the same over the years. In our home we have several smaller AGM's that are connected to charging systems 24/7 for years. In particular the stair chair and alarm system are the larger ones.

Should a charger fail and continue to provide voltage I could see an issue and if I were to mount any inside in a smaller tight space such as a motor home it would be a good thing to have some kind of alarm or monitor just in case. Haven't ever heard of an issue and we never have. Our inside AGM battery life is around 10 years and then they die slowly rather than just overnight.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #24

THOR #2121
As I recall, AGM batteries were initially adopted mostly for Class B van campers because using flooded batteries was such a problem. You couldn’t place flooded inside, and if mounted under the van, it made watering very difficult.

At first, AGM batteries were mounted under the van floor, but some builders started moving inside to make access easier, and also to protect from extreme temperatures.

I do not recall seeing any Class A or C RV with AGM batteries inside the living space.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:46 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
As I recall, AGM batteries were initially adopted mostly for Class B van campers because using flooded batteries was such a problem. You couldn’t place flooded inside, and if mounted under the van, it made watering very difficult.

At first, AGM batteries were mounted under the van floor, but some builders started moving inside to make access easier, and also to protect from extreme temperatures.

I do not recall seeing any Class A or C RV with AGM batteries inside the living space.
My 1968 UltraVan (class A) came with two group 27 FLA under the driver's side bed. Yes, you had to remove the mattress and open a 3/8" thick plywood door to water the batteries As soon as group 31 AGM deep cycle batteries became available, I switched to them. Corvair cars came with FLA batteries in the engine compartment. Air from the engine compartment was used to heat the entire car. The batteries had special battery caps with rubber tubes that vented outside. The reason was not so much the the fumes would be dangerous to the car's occupants but the fumes would soon dissolve the magnesium engine cooling fan.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
...Corvair cars came with FLA batteries in the engine compartment. Air from the engine compartment was used to heat the entire car. The batteries had special battery caps with rubber tubes that vented outside. The reason was not so much the the fumes would be dangerous to the car's occupants but the fumes would soon dissolve the magnesium engine cooling fan.
I can imagine that getting the proper battery setup in a restoration could be a huge undertaking...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #27

THOR #6903
Since we are on batteries over the years I have used at least 50 different trickle chargers. The reason so many as there are several batteries in various vehicles or equipment that they are attached to or used on.

The best one I have ever found is this one pictured. It will even recover and charge a badly discharged battery which the modern state of the art chargers will not
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201016_132708.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	26746  
Old 10-17-2020, 01:01 PM   #28

THOR #6903
Another photo of the maintainer attached and charging
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201016_132612.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	26747  
Old 10-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #29

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Another photo of the maintainer attached and charging

Do you have to disconnect the battery’s from the rv every time you use this or can you just flip the store use switch
Old 10-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #30

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Do you have to disconnect the battery’s from the rv every time you use this or can you just flip the store use switch
It is best to use the quick plug in connector that you attached to your main positive and negative from the battery bank

So just a matter of plugging in both the 120v and 12v
Old 10-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #31

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
It is best to use the quick plug in connector that you attached to your main positive and negative from the battery bank

So just a matter of plugging in both the 120v and 12v

The only downside of the maintainer was the price as I use several at one time on various equipment