Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2021, 07:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Follow this email interchange between me and Thor

The following is an abbreviated version of an email interchange between me and Thor Customer Service. Read it and weep.

Me: The dash cigarette lighter outlets on my new Axis are dead. Can you help me find the cause?

Thor: The USB outlets are supplied from the radio circuit. Here is the manual (pdf attached).

Me: I am talking about the two cigarette lighter outlets on the dash, not the USB outlets.

Thor: See the attached schematics

The schematics that were sent are really wiring harness diagrams and there may be a secret code that tells you where one terminal goes to pick up its power but I can't figure it out.

Me: Ok I see the two outlets being served by a common blue/white pair, but where do they go?

Thor: They are powered from the coach's on/off switch.

Me: Well power to that switch comes from a 50A breaker near the battery and from the switch goes to the converter's DC fuse panel where various fuses supply various loads. All fuses on that panel are good and nothing else doesn't work. So can you suggest where to look further?

Thor: Perhaps the two outlets are bad.

Me: Well it is rather unlikely that two simple devices are both bad, but if you think it is possible I can see if voltage is present at the connector for the blue/white wires under the dash that supplies the outlets.

Thor: Unlikely yes, but anything is possible.

That last response floored me. So, Thor Customer Service obviously doesn't know and is just trying to send me around in circles until I give up. I gave up....on Thor. Oh, I also tried calling. No callback after five days and the wait otherwise is interminable.

David

Old 04-15-2021, 07:51 PM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I had a similar issue with my old Outlaw 29H. One of the two did not work and the dealer was useful. They said it was a Ford issue.

I took the dash trim off and found that the connector was simply unplugged from the back of the 12V accessory port not working. not surprising giving they are moving wiring around when they install the radios, cameras, etc.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:56 PM   #3

THOR #20289
Thanks Judge, but that part of the dash is all Thor from the radio/backup camera display to those outlets. The outlets are indicated on the Thor wiring harness diagram. I checked the connectors by reaching up under the dash and they are both attached.

I will confirm there is no power at the nearby blue/white wire connector. After that it will be one or more warranty items I will take back to my Thor dealer to deal with in the fall when camping is over here in the NE. But it is sad that a more competent customer service could eliminate that expense for all of us. I am a pretty good DIYer and would much prefer fixing it myself. That way I learn.

So far, knock on wood, there are no glitches that interfere with our use of my new MH. Will know more after we get back from a week's trip to NC next week. I am still holding my breath about a water pump glitch I discussed in another post.

David
Old 04-15-2021, 09:14 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
wow...
Old 04-16-2021, 08:43 PM   #5

THOR #20289
I finally got a call back from Thor Customer Support- almost a week later. Wow, what a difference. The lady I had the long email interchange summarized above apparently (no surprise there) was wrong. According to the guy who called (and who seemed quite knowledgeable) those outlets are powered from the chassis not the coach batteries as the lady kept telling me.

So he gave me a couple of clues where to look for the problem, specifically the fuse and relay box in the outside compartment underneath the driver's seat. There is one 15A fuse there and that may be blown. I will check it out tomorrow.

His call restored a bit of faith in Thor's Customer Support. Like Judge has said elsewhere, Thor is having problems getting qualified people. No s&%$.

David
Old 04-16-2021, 08:57 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I called and ordered replacement curtains they will be shipped in 2 days..fast
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:17 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
David, I'm glad that they were able to get you moving in the right direction on this.
Good luck!
Old 04-16-2021, 11:34 PM   #8

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Glad you received some quality support. Every business client I have is struggling finding employees. Interesting times. I have had great support every time I've contacted Thor via phone or email. Lucky so far. But if I get a bad person I will hang up and call or email again. I have to do that with several companies I deal with now. Frustrating but just where things are now I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I finally got a call back from Thor Customer Support- almost a week later. Wow, what a difference. The lady I had the long email interchange summarized above apparently (no surprise there) was wrong. According to the guy who called (and who seemed quite knowledgeable) those outlets are powered from the chassis not the coach batteries as the lady kept telling me.

So he gave me a couple of clues where to look for the problem, specifically the fuse and relay box in the outside compartment underneath the driver's seat. There is one 15A fuse there and that may be blown. I will check it out tomorrow.

His call restored a bit of faith in Thor's Customer Support. Like Judge has said elsewhere, Thor is having problems getting qualified people. No s&%$.

David
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote