Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2019, 12:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RW28
State: Florida
THOR #15031
Tow/Haul switch on class C

So should the Tow/Haul switch on a class C be set to on all the time? Technically you are hauling the motorhome. Will this improve gas mileage?

Jeff

Old 12-27-2019, 12:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
No

Tow/haul is for when you are towing a vehicle or trailer. Using tow haul changes the shift point of the trans and will cause the engine to rev higher between shift points. Using Tow/Haul will generally decrease mileage due to delayed shift points.

Search the forum for tow haul. The topic has been addressed numerous times.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:34 AM   #3

Model: Quantum RW28
THOR #15031
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
No

Tow/haul is for when you are towing a vehicle or trailer. Using tow haul changes the shift point of the trans and will cause the engine to rev higher between shift points. Using Tow/Haul will generally decrease mileage due to delayed shift points.

Search the forum for tow haul. The topic has been addressed numerous times.
Thanks Dave, I've seen just the opposite reaction to this question before. I've never used it, I live in Fla so no hills, LOL!

Jeff
Old 12-27-2019, 12:53 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Jeff, your reasoning would normally be correct but as EA37TS pointed out it does change the shift points (both up and down).

There are those that do have it in TH mode all the time but you need to determine how to use it with your driving style.

On my ACE whether towing or not I do not use it to accelerate or cruise but as soon as I start slowing down to exit the highway or stop at a light I turn it on so it will aggressively downshift to help slow the coach. Once I start speeding up it goes off again.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:18 AM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Mine is on all the time so I can have advantage of the down hill downshift and the brake pedal downshift afforded to me by the haul mode and that added small bit of torque spectrum rpm.

I don't care much about the 1/10th mpg difference I observed over 10,000 mile experiment on my 8.1 Chevy.

The tow haul cruises at the same rpm on flats as not tow haul. That's why the minute to non-existent mpg differences in real life.

Experiment yourself.
As said, some of us drive differently.
You'll get advice from 83mph I'llneverbeadickintraffic folks and 55mph nomatterwhoorwhatorwhy folks.

The debate goes on ad nauseam.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:56 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I keep the tow haul on almost all the time. There was a good explanation on this forum about transmission temperature being reduced by the changes the TCM makes when tow haul is turned on. The way I read the Ford F-53 owners manual leads me to believe it should be turned on when ever I have the toad hooked up which is almost always. So from my perspective, turn it on. If it did not have any value, Ford would not have spent the money on R&D.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:47 PM   #7

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpiercemagic View Post
So should the Tow/Haul switch on a class C be set to on all the time? Technically you are hauling the motorhome. Will this improve gas mileage?

Jeff
I use it a lot in Idaho. Anywhere I go involves mountain passes. Mostly use it for the downshifts. It works in 4 but not 2. I only need 2 on worst cases. I rarely use brakes: just to cause downshift.

I turn it off on the flat.

I am usually pulling a Cherokee toad. It has a brake buddy but doesn’t actuate much.

I see no affect on gas mileage with either my previous Class C (E450) or my new Class A (F53). And much to my surprise the mileage is almost the same (7.5 vs. 8).

I often get 85 regular at high elevation. Do not notice an effect from it either.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:48 PM   #8
TMD

Model: Synergy Class C
THOR #16695
On the Class C Mercedes there is no tow switch. Supposedly it's smart enough to know you are towing according to Mercedes.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:07 PM   #9

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
Tow/haul is a feature on Ford powered units, it keeps the transmission from shifting up into overdrive gears when you are towing and running up and down grades, when I tow/haul it also activates the engine brake when you apply the foot brake, to torque converter locks up and the fuel is shut off to the injectors, the more brake force you apply the more the engine brake will help to slow you down, read up on it in your owners manual
Old 01-11-2020, 11:39 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: California
THOR #12192
Tow/Haul button

I loved the T/H feature on my 2015 F-250 when I pulled my 5th wheel, so when my Thor Miramar 34.2 came with the same feature I was happy. I used it mainly in the hills, so it may not mean as much to you in Florida. But, if you get into the up and down hills it will be handy. As previous posters have said, it keeps you "in control" on downhills without having to use your brakes all the time to keep speed under (whatever). And, it does help with the constant shifting in the hills. If you find yourself having to ride the brakes on a long downhill, it will help with that by downshifting. But, pay attention; it's not a "set and forget."
Old 01-12-2020, 12:02 AM   #11

Model: Vegas
State: New York
THOR #17148
I use Tow/Haul when pulling my toad in traffic or heading downhill: lower shift points keeps the rig easier to stop. I disengage on flats/ when at cruising speed. I drive a bus set on an E350 chassis at a ski resort and use Tow/Haul going downhill. Prevents riding the brakes the entire trip. I disengage on flats.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:10 AM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #14187
I'm towing a small landscape type trailer; 350# with a HD touring bike; 900+#, 1300 - 1400#'s total.
Question is, is this enough additional weight to warrant using TH mode?
Thanks
Old 01-12-2020, 02:20 AM   #13

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by largejoe13 View Post
I'm towing a small landscape type trailer; 350# with a HD touring bike; 900+#, 1300 - 1400#'s total.
Question is, is this enough additional weight to warrant using TH mode?
Thanks
I'm not sure read the posts in this thread.
It's 100% a personal choice.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #14

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
Yes the tow haul switch should be left on all the time as your motorhome chassis is loaded all the time. It will improve your shift pattern and improve your gas mileage. It also helps with your braking when it down shifts when stopping.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #15

Model: Windsport 27B
State: Tennessee
THOR #14933
Must be stopped?

I assume you shouldn't set while driving?
Old 01-12-2020, 02:22 PM   #16

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
It can be set at any point.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:43 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgscooter View Post
I assume you shouldn't set while driving?
As mentioned by many posts above you can change it at any time as you are driving. How else would you turn it off at speed or turn it on when decelerating?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
How about this answer?
If you like the idea of using it: it's your choice!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1578840940
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floating Your Goat.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	22171  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:36 PM   #19

THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
Tow/haul is a feature on Ford powered units, it keeps the transmission from shifting up into overdrive gears when you are towing and running up and down grades, when I tow/haul it also activates the engine brake when you apply the foot brake, to torque converter locks up and the fuel is shut off to the injectors, the more brake force you apply the more the engine brake will help to slow you down, read up on it in your owners manual
Thanks for the suggestion. Caused me to download the manual. I’ll experiment to understand in total what this really means, especially the last point of pressing the accelerator to slow down. It does not mean using the brakes to control speed on mountain passes!

It appears to differ from how it worked with my E450 Class C. I do stab the brakes to cause downshift.

I don’t think tow/haul works in 2.

My shifter doesn’t have all the gears shown in the manual I found.

“The tow/haul feature:
• Delays upshifts to reduce the frequency of transmission shifting.
• Provides engine braking in all forward gears, which will slow your vehicle and assist you in controlling your vehicle when descending a grade.
• Depending on driving conditions and load conditions, may downshift the transmission, slow your vehicle and control your vehicle speed when descending a hill, without pressing the accelerator pedal. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based upon the amount the brake pedal is pressed.
The tow/haul feature improves transmission operation when towing a trailer or a heavy load. All transmission gear ranges are available when using tow/haul.
Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning
This feature may increase durability and provide consistent shift feel over the life of your vehicle. A new vehicle or transmission may have firm shifts, soft shifts or both. This operation is considered normal and will not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time, the adaptive learning process will fully update transmission operation.
Forced Downshifts
• Allowed in drive (D) with the tow/haul feature on or off.
• Press the accelerator pedal to the floor.
• Allows transmission to select an appropriate gear“
Old 01-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #20

THOR #17441
I also need to experiment with the interaction of cruise control and tow haul. I use cruise to control downhills on modest passes with my Jeep and Canyon pickup. They do not have a tow haul mode. But with six to eight gears cruise causes the necessary downshifts without touching the brakes.

They both have manual shifting override that the F53 does not. I sometimes use 4 on the F53, and rarely 2 on serious passes.