Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Chance, good thread.

Why do you want two alternators? The 100 amp alternator in my RV seems sufficient.

....cut....

I would like manufacturers to make 48-Volt RV electrical systems similar to the Volta easier to build, and therefore cheaper. A second alternator (at least a bracket) with provisions for belt drive goes a long ways in that direction. While 100 Amps X 14-Volts may be enough for most present motorhomes, I think future motorhomes may need many times that to eliminate the normal Onan generator. I don’t want to drift off topic, but hope Ford includes a second alternator option, or 48-Volt system from factory.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #22

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
When Ford when to the 6-sp transmission they also re-tuned the engine for more torque at lower rpm. My coach (18,000 lb chassis) turns 1800 rpm at 62 mph. Down shifting to 5th at 62 mph gives 2,300 rpm and down to 4th gives 3,000 rpm which is where the engine's maximum torque is produced. Only at altitudes greater than 6,000 ft is it necessary to use the lower gears and to keep up with traffic on the two lane roads.
Agree for the 3-valve V10 in your F-53 chassis motorhome. The 2-valve V10 I believe remains unchanged. I was refering to E-Series chassis.

What’s surprising is that a larger motorhome like yours is actually geared significantly higher than smaller motorhomes like Axis/Vegas. You’re correct that your engine spins slower than that of Class Cs or Axis/Vegas.

In any case, I’d be shocked if the new 7.3 V8 that will replace the old V10 doesn’t produce even more torque. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean it will be geared taller to run slower. Probably will be, but it’s not a given in my opinion. Ford may stick with 4.10 gears on that size motorhome (present gears according to their specs).
Old 01-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
They also streamed the Explorer reveal live:

The cool thing is that stage. The entire stage floor is a screen and they drove the new explorer down "roads" on the screen--very clever even if a few of the drivers went "off road" ! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:12 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #14024
Dealer rumor

I asked my dealer after reading this thread. The finance person said they had notice from Winnebago that there is a new engine coming and they said the notice was about May 2019... Just rumor but maybe???
Old 01-12-2019, 11:29 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhappel View Post
I asked my dealer after reading this thread. The finance person said they had notice from Winnebago that there is a new engine coming and they said the notice was about May 2019... Just rumor but maybe???
Isn't it fun when the rumor mills are working at full capacity?
I hope that they were right!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:11 AM   #26

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhappel View Post

That schedule kind of fits the latest information from Donlen. The 2020 Ford Super Duty is scheduled later in year than normal. Perhaps nothing official will come out at 2019 NAIAS.

As interesting, or more so for RVers, is that the 2020 E-Series is now scheduled for January 2, 2020. That’s almost 6 months after typical Model Year production start up date. In my opinion that suggests a major upgrade for the 2020 E-Series may be in the works.

https://www.donlen.com/buildstart-trucks-ford.html
Old 01-13-2019, 05:17 AM   #27

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #14024
Ah I see what you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
That schedule kind of fits the latest information from Donlen. The 2020 Ford Super Duty is scheduled later in year than normal. Perhaps nothing official will come out at 2019 NAIAS.

As interesting, or more so for RVers, is that the 2020 E-Series is now scheduled for January 2, 2020. That’s almost 6 months after typical Model Year production start up date. In my opinion that suggests a major upgrade for the 2020 E-Series may be in the works.

https://www.donlen.com/buildstart-trucks-ford.html
I see, learning. I am a tool and die guy and this indeed looks like the they are retooling a line in the five months between line assignment and start of line manufacturing.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #28

THOR #2121
Rather than start a new thread, here’s a bit more information from Ford on the newest state-of-the-art powertrain options for the new 2020 Explorer.

As to how these two options may relate to the new 7.3L V8 for heavier duty trucks and RVs, I doubt the 3.0L EcoBoost option tells us much about what Ford is thinking. Other than maybe that some buyers are willing to pay a premium for added power and torque.

The Hybrid Explorer option seems a lot more interesting to me as to how it may relate to the 7.3L V8 in HD applications. The Hybrid Explorer is being marketed for fuel efficiency, not power; and fuel efficiency is more important in larger vehicles. Ford proudly mentions a range of over 500 miles for the new Hybrid Explorer.

The hybrid’s engine size at 3.3L is the same as on F-150, but combined power is 318 HP and 336 lb-ft of torque versus the F-150’s 290 HP and 265 lb-ft.

From Ford Media, “An all-new 10-speed modular hybrid transmission provides SUV capability. “

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...d-further.html

There’s not that much power difference, but significant torque improvement. My biggest question is whether this is a mild 48-Volt hybrid system combined with same engine as F-150, or whether it’s a more robust electric drive with a derated engine that has been modified for efficiency (like Atkinson cycle).

Either way, would it be that odd for Ford to repeat the same design but larger? Instead of a 3.3L naturally aspirated V6 engine with a 10-speed hybrid transmission, could they be working on a 7.3L V8 mated to a heavy duty 10-speed hybrid transmission? Could there be an Atkinson Cycle option to improve MPGs?

I hope a truck/RV capable 10-speed hybrid transmission is on the way within a year or two. Who knows, maybe even at Super Duty introduction.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #29
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
My guess is that its an Atkinson cycle engine, and more than 48V (also published was the size of the battery 1.5kWh).

The electric motor is mounted between the gas engine and torque converter (from what I've read).

Also note that the new Lincoln Aviator also has a hybrid option with a plug (same platform) thus it has the same setup but with a larger battery.
https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-suvs/...r/2020/models/
Old 02-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Well it is kind of official: The 7.3L gas engine is in the new Superduty Pickups.

Looks like Ford lifted an embargo on the trucks and engine as there are a bunch of articles about it now (doing a limited search of the past few days I see a ton of articles similar to the two I've linked here).

Edit: Here is Ford's page on the 2020 Superduty Trucks.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #31

THOR #2121
Yeah, my guesses couldn’t have been more wrong.

Seems to me Ford went with about the cheapest design possible. It certainly isn’t a larger version of the 5.0L Coyote in the F150, and doesn’t follow the DOHC design in just about every other gas engine they offer.

I suppose that since truck drivers don’t like to use higher RPMs to develop power anyway, that kind of makes OHC design’s greatest advantage less important. On the plus side it does make a much smaller engine — may fit nicely in E-Series.

From Ford Media today:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...bar-again.html
Old 02-05-2019, 01:18 PM   #32
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Yeah, my guesses couldn’t have been more wrong.

Seems to me Ford went with about the cheapest design possible. It certainly isn’t a larger version of the 5.0L Coyote in the F150, and doesn’t follow the DOHC design in just about every other gas engine they offer.

I suppose that since truck drivers don’t like to use higher RPMs to develop power anyway, that kind of makes OHC design’s greatest advantage less important. On the plus side it does make a much smaller engine — may fit nicely in E-Series.

From Ford Media today:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...bar-again.html
Well that press release you linked to does say this:
Quote:
The 7.3-liter gas V8 engine delivers high performance in a compact package. Based on decades of commercial engine experience, this 7.3-liter is expected to be the most powerful gas V8 in its class – providing durability, ease of maintenance, and the towing and payload capability customers want. It uses an all-new cam-in-block, overhead valve architecture with cast iron block and forged steel crankshaft for maximum durability. Port injection with variable-valve timing optimizes the intake and exhaust to match performance with workloads. Oil jets cool the pistons under heavy loads.
Someone else was speculating on the 7.3L Engine.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #33

THOR #2121
One thing that I wanted to see that it has is dual alternators.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF547769-4F9F-4879-89AF-4C4DE12E74CD.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	15528  
Old 02-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #34

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Well that press release you linked to does say this:

Someone else was speculating on the 7.3L Engine.
I had seen that prediction and would have never thought Ford would actually go back to a pushrod engine. Pushrod engines are fine as long as you keep RPMs fairly low, which must be the intended application here. They are just not going to get the same specific power than if they had opted for DOHC design.

Trucks used pushrods for a long time, so it should be fine. My old Mustang has pushrods and has never been an issue. It just doesn’t make much power compared to most modern engines.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #35

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
It's almost as if they have pulled the old 460 out of mothballs.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #36

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Another Article

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/2020-fo...w-7-3-liter-v8
Old 02-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #37

THOR #2121
The video with the engine’s engineering manager should be very interesting for us mechanical types. Ford is driving message that this is a good middle ground between previous gas capability and PowerStroke diesel for those who don’t quite need to tow as much as the 6.7L PowerStroke which is being upgraded to higher levels.

https://youtu.be/2FtNlfAbc2w
Old 02-05-2019, 06:20 PM   #38

THOR #11130
Quote:
The video with the engine’s engineering manager should be very interesting for us mechanical types. Ford is driving message that this is a good middle ground between previous gas capability and PowerStroke diesel for those who don’t quite need to tow as much as the 6.7L PowerStroke which is being upgraded to higher levels.

https://youtu.be/2FtNlfAbc2w

There's a market for this void...it's just a matter of how proud they are of it. My guess....$100,000 pickup truck. Was talking to the wife last night about it (planting the seed)...her comment..."you already have a 2500 diesel that's paid for...wasn't that your dream truck also...what will this truck do that yours won't...why can't men just be happy with what they got...?". I turned the light out and went to sleep.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:07 PM   #39
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
There's a market for this void...it's just a matter of how proud they are of it. My guess....$100,000 pickup truck. Was talking to the wife last night about it (planting the seed)...her comment..."you already have a 2500 diesel that's paid for...wasn't that your dream truck also...what will this truck do that yours won't...why can't men just be happy with what they got...?". I turned the light out and went to sleep.
Did you ask her how many shoes she bought recently?? LOL

Problem is: you can buy a lot of shoes for $100k
Old 02-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #40

THOR #11130
Nah...she could buy Miami but never spends much on herself...your quote is exactly what she said..."you can buy a lot of diesel for $100K".