Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2024, 11:18 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Ford F53 Gateway Module Software Update

I just received a letter from Ford regarding the possibility of a communication issue that could block the ability to have the engine pass a smog test. Apparently some Ford F53 emissions Gateway Module's fail to communicate properly with the emissions I/M test causing the engine to fail a smog test. In the letter, Ford will authorize a one time Free reprograming of the Gateway Module (parts and labor). This is listed under Ford Customer Satisfaction Program 22N15. The letter states it should not take more than 1/2 a day at the local Ford Dealership that services the Ford F53 Chassis.

Paul

Old 03-12-2024, 12:01 AM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
<Conspiracy Theory Hat ON>

Is the update designed to prevent a false-positive FAIL?
Or to generate a false-positive PASS?

Lot of engine manufacturers in trouble recently for misrepresenting MPG and emissions test results, though mostly on the diesel side.

<Conspiracy Theory Hat OFF>

It's probably nothing.....
Old 03-26-2024, 06:15 PM   #3

THOR #12698
I just made an appointment at Trans West Truck Center in Fontana to get the computer updated. They said it would take 1/2 day to complete the update so I will leave it and return once it is done. Luckily I can tow my car with the motor home and drive back home until they finish with it.

Paul
Old 03-26-2024, 06:25 PM   #4

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
I got the same letter last week. It is good that the shop in your area accepts appointment. The only shop here in Vegas that will work on RV is Rush Ford Truck Center, They do not take appointments.

The way how they operate, you drop off your RV. They will work on it "as soon as a mechanic or Tech become available". I don't want to take a chance of the RV getting damaged by one of those huge trucks, bus or RV when they move them around. I have not even done the recall on the replacement bolts for the rear sway bar.

My RV passed the smog test last time. So I am not sure if I even need to do this.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:02 AM   #5

THOR #12698
I had the computer update done this morning. When I received my paperwork, I was handed a form that stated Trans West Truck Center completed the required update. I was told that California DMV would require this form in order to get my annual registration sticker. I told them I had already received my 2025 registration sticker last week without that form. He was surprised to hear that I was able to register it and receive my annual sticker without producing that form.

Paul
Old 04-03-2024, 03:45 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 35.2
THOR #28908
Just had mine done, live is San Diego I just got my registration about a week ago as well. It was basically an update to prevent the smog test equipment from being unable to communicate with the module. It doesn’t change any emission stuff, just a communication issue, or so i read and was told LOL!