Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2021, 08:17 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: freedom elite 24he
State: Alabama
THOR #21327
Everyone seems to equate an EV battery and it's usage and charging to their cell phones which are basically nearly dead all the time.

If you want to drive your car 200 miles per day after parking your RV in a park then just get a gasoline car. This isn't for you.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:22 AM   #22

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Just my inexpert opinion; but everyone seems to want to get "lost in the weeds" with this
discussion.
If dragging your EV behind you will charge it's batteries: that should simply be a good thing: right?
Unfortunately crusty old men who are retired (not that that describes me in any way) need things to fill their day so they tend to wade in the weeds. Us old down South hicks like to call it "making a mountain out of a mole hill".
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:45 AM   #23

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
I see a big opportunity for Ford to not only dominate the gas motorhome market but also the 4 down towing toad market. Currently GM probably dominates the 4 down towing market. Jeep also has a big chunk of that market. Once Honda was king there but their CVT transmission killed that.

If you consider how many gas motorhomes are built on either the F53 or the E series cutaway van, it would be in Ford's best interest to fit all those chassis with software and hardware so that progressive braking from the motorhome could signal the brakes in a Ford towed electric vehicle thru the 7 pin connection just like the built in trailer brake controller they already have in their trucks. Ford could place an option plug near the grill in a similar manner as the trailer brake controller plug they place near the steering column. If an owner of a Ford electric vehicle installed a baseplate it would be simple to install the towing plug near the grill that when connected to that option plug would provide not only supplemental braking but also brake lights, turn signals, and parking lights.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:29 AM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I rarely agree with Bob, but many seem to be getting in the weeds, and mostly out of fear because they are exaggerating towing conditions. Some comments make it seem like a motorhome towing an electric car is like a tractor pull.

Let’s look at worse case based on realistic assumptions and facts, then we can exaggerate from there. To make it worst case, let’s assume all energy is supplied by motorhome engine directly.

First let’s use electric RWD Mustang as a toad because there’s lots of data on it. Based on its EPA rating which has been independently confirmed, it uses 15 kWh of battery capacity to travel 50 miles.

I’m going to stick to 50 miles per day for a toad to run to grocery store, go out to dinner, maybe a show, laundry mat, etc. If you feel you drive 100 miles, simply double the estimate.

The RWD electric Mustang will therefore use approximately 15 kWh of battery energy. It’s not that much. An AWD Mustang will use a little more, but not worth worrying about in this context.

Modern vehicle powertrains are typically at least 70 percent efficient in delivering engine power to the ground. That’s to say that when a motorhome engine makes 100 HP, at least 70 reach the ground through the driven wheels.

Likewise, during regenerative charging, we can roughly estimate that at least 70 percent of power at wheels reaches battery as extra charge.

Within “reason”, we should expect that at least 50 percent of motorhome incremental engine power due to charging load ends up in toad’s battery. For those that didn’t follow, 70% X 70% is 49%, or rounded to 50% to keep numbers simpler. So if motorhome works 10 HP harder to charge, about 5 HP should reach toad’s battery. The rest is wasted.

Getting back to a toad the size of an electric Mustang, if it consumes 15 kWh of battery energy to travel 50 miles the previous evening, the motorhome’s engine will need to produce twice that, or 30 kWh of work energy.

For us Americans, 30 kWh converts to 40 HP-hour at the engine.

A modern diesel should make 20 HP for one hour per gallon of diesel fuel (based on BSFC), which means it would burn an extra 2 gallons of diesel fuel to charge the Mustang’s battery back up.

A modern gasoline engine should make 15 HP for one hour per gallon of fuel, so it would burn about 2.7 gallons of gas.

If an electric Mustang drove 50 miles and then it took 2.7 gallons of extra fuel the next day to charge it back, the equivalent MPG isn’t that bad for something done occasionally.

Most important, if the incremental required 40 HP-hour from motorhome engine is spread over a 5 hour drive, it works out to just an extra 8 HP on engine. When a Ford gasoline V8 is rated up to 350 HP, adding an extra 8 HP to charge toad’s battery doesn’t seem that big a problem.

This is reasonable worst case because all incremental toad energy comes from motorhome’s engine, and even that is pretty good. Better yet, if motorhome tows electric Mustang to top of Rockies like any other car, and only then during descend is the Mustang’s battery charged, not only is energy from Mustang but also from motorhome going downhill is recoverable to charge the Mustang’s battery. That’s free energy which would have been wasted otherwise.

This is NOT meant to be exact, just to “roughly” quantify power needs so we don’t end up in the weeds thinking it will end up using way too much fuel, or so much power that motorhome will overheat. Nothing I see suggests it is that big a problem.

The concept is so simple and makes so much sense that it’s hard for me to imagine it is patentable.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:01 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We may disagree a fair amount: but I'll still love you in the morning!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:10 PM   #26

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If the EV Toad is producing power while being towed: do you think they could ever set it up to charge batteries in the RV as well?
The law of conservation of energy applies... taking it a step further, I think using a regenerative braking/alternator/dynamo system in the HEAVY motorhome itself would be an excellent idea. Not only would it take a load off the brake pads/rotors, it could be an efficient way to help top off a very large battery bank.

Typically people install a much larger alternator, which puts a drag on the engine. Why not use that friction/drag for a combination of battery charging AND braking force? Makes sense to me!
Old 07-26-2021, 05:10 PM   #27

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
We are getting hammered on electrical rates as well as natural gas due to the big winter storm

Current plan is to add 12 bucks per month for 7 years and a 4.5% increase on the monthly bill

Energy cost are up and going up so I will recharge my EV as cheaply as possible and not dragging it behind my Tuscany which gets about 7.5 mpg and that would drop as well as creating more heat for the tranny and engine if I try to recharge my Lightening

US to we get hit with a 3 - 5 dollar hike for every 1k kw used, this sounds like peanuts, for 7 years as well. Except the power cost recovery charge )surcharge, tax, etc) is now at .038 per 1k kw, to rise to .045 by summers end
so all the super insulation we have added over last two years to reduce our kw consumption by half, did ZIP for our energy bill, as it went up over 50 dollars last month and expected to be another 60 higher next month
ERCOT controls our power through a weird contract conglomerate and they flllllll us at every turn. our coop has to bid on expected power use each year and gets a low rate, but let the coop use one kwh over the bid and rates triple .
makes me sick

solar is next, be completely off the grid for the main house

but back to topic, regenerative braking would be a great way to charge up the ev, have it tied to the exhaust brake so it could help slow us down.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #28

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
US to we get hit with a 3 - 5 dollar hike for every 1k kw used, this sounds like peanuts, for 7 years as well. Except the power cost recovery charge )surcharge, tax, etc) is now at .038 per 1k kw, to rise to .045 by summers end
so all the super insulation we have added over last two years to reduce our kw consumption by half, did ZIP for our energy bill, as it went up over 50 dollars last month and expected to be another 60 higher next month
ERCOT controls our power through a weird contract conglomerate and they flllllll us at every turn. our coop has to bid on expected power use each year and gets a low rate, but let the coop use one kwh over the bid and rates triple .
makes me sick

but back to topic, regenerative braking would be a great way to charge up the ev, have it tied to the exhaust brake so it could help slow us down.
The regenerative braking is where the power generation makes sense

Going to put a bit more wear and tear on the tow bar making it pull up and down

Utilities are going up and here in the Midwest we are still installing wind farms and new high lines daily which certainly aren't going to lower any bills

We have some meters for water wells and we got hit with 50% upcharges but not for 7 years

Cost of fuel, green, or black is going up
Old 07-26-2021, 07:20 PM   #29

THOR #2121
Quote:

.....cut....

If this Ford technology is developed, I expect it will take years. RV industry volume is so low (relatively speaking compared to automobiles) that Ford may not invest a lot of R&D resources to rush it.

My guess is that long-term the percentage of diesel motorhomes will be even lower that it is today, and that this new Ford technology can improve gas motorhomes even more than if motorhome is diesel.

Once a powerful electric toad is connected to a motorhome with a tow bar, it can be viewed as a single large hybrid vehicle. And since even mild hybrid gas vehicles can achieve greater fuel economy compared to their counterparts, I can easily see where an electric toad could improve gasser motorhome MPG in the same way, not to mention performance.

It would seem a real waste to connect a 200+ HP electric Mustang behind a gas motorhome and then not use some of that available power to “push” the motorhome during hard acceleration or up hills. And ultimately save fuel too.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:50 AM   #30

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
makes me sick

Our price for electric is .1085 per kw
Old 07-27-2021, 10:36 AM   #31

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Our price for electric is .1085 per kw
Better rates than we have West of you
Old 07-28-2021, 09:42 PM   #32

Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #17673
Many companies develop patents just to enlarge there IP portfolio.
Some companies are bought and sold for this valued commodity.
Some patents are created just to keep other people from doing it, or get royalties if the do.
Don't bet that a patent means that they have ANY interest in doing this.
Cynical? yes. Also realistic.

Sorry for dumping my rain bucket on this discussion. I still enjoyed it, and hope something like this moves forward.