Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2018, 03:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Oklahoma
THOR #13615
Smile Television and other only AC things

Well I learned last weekend my television and DVD only works on AC current...so what is the best solution to remedy this? Take it easy on me I’m a OJT, learning on the fly RV noob! Any suggestions and comments are welcome!

Thanks

Old 11-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Accolade 37L
State: Arkansas
THOR #13243
Easiest is a small inverter that you plug into a 12v socket. Then plug the TV and DVD player into the inverter. Turn off or unplug the inverter when not needed.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #3

THOR #13615
You mean like a cigarette lighter socket?
Old 11-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retusarmy54 View Post
You mean like a cigarette lighter socket?
Yep; used to be standard to have a 12 volt cigarette lighter socket and the antenna connection/booster switch behind the TV. Not so anymore; no socket period and they can stick the amplifier button anywhere they like now-a-days.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #5

THOR #13615
Interesting what wattage on the inverter do you recommend to run a tv like a few hours a day?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I was going to do this on my RV. "Keep it simple". I just wanted a small inverter for the living area TV, be able to hook up the DVD player and one cell phone and one computer to it.

I think I figured on a 500 - 600 watt inverter was large enough for all of this but then I stubbled across the Aims 1200 inverter that I wired in place like a factory inverter would be. Plus I never could find the ideal spot to hide this "Small inverter" in my living area.

It was about the same price (Well actually it was less than the 600 watt).

Took me a while to figure it all out - so it was not simple (for me) but I learn alot (so now it would be simple - lol). But Im am sure glad I didnt it.

Now both inside TV run on it, Plus the two outlets near TV in the cabinets (Were your DVD plays would go) plus one outlet in the dinning area (For my computer and phones). Plus I can run the Frig. off it it to make it a true 3 way Frig (Gas, Electic 120 and 12v battery).

Search around on this forum for this subject and on the web. Tons of info. I would suggest a True Sine Wave no matter which way you go.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote