Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2016, 12:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3591
Ford V10 Throttle Body Problems

We went on a 5,000 mile trip in our 2016 Axis in October and November 2016. The yellow wrench kept coming on and we lost all acceleration from 0-20mph. The only way to fix it was to stop turn off engine and restart the engine. It would run fine until the next time the yellow wrench came on again. The yellow wrench means Power Train Failure. I called Ford and they told me it was because of the hils I was driving in. It happened pulling out of a Walmart parking lot. Not many hills in a Walmart Parking lot. Three days and 3 calls to Ford and I finally got into Morristown, TN Ford Dealership. The yellow light was on when I drove into the service area. I left the motor running. The Service Man said Ford was having trouble with 2016 Throttle Bodys. When I picked it up they said the wiring harness was chaffed. Naturally it ran fine for a day and the the yellow wrench light was back on and "ZERO" acceleration. Floor the gas peddle and the engine will not rev.

Put it in DeMontrond RV Service Shop 11/7/2016 three weeks ago for warranty work. It's always at least 30-45 days when you put it in the shop. Waiting for Thor to approve Warranty work on coach. Then I have to find a Ford Dealer that can work on a Class A V10. My RV Dealer I bought from has no idea who works on Ford V10 in the Houston Metropolitan Area. I have made 8 calls and finally found a dealer that will look at my Axis for my yellow wrench error but he told me that after 3 starts the codes are erased. They can't fix it unless it throws a code. I guess I'm suppose to drive it until it throws a code. Not Acceptable.

Has anyone experienced the Yellow wrench light on the dash and no acceleration?

Old 11-30-2016, 03:20 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Throttle Body

I would not personally believe anything that the RV dealer says when it comes to the Ford chassis issues. Call me jaded, I guess. Find a Ford dealer that works on the E450 chassis and they will find the culprit for you. As usual, most of those problems are electronic/emission related when it comes to the check engine light. Long as nothing is leaking, no metal grinding sounds, etc., you will get it repaired. Just trying to let you know that the newer V-10s are not known for any real problems....
Old 11-30-2016, 03:46 AM   #3

THOR #3591
Thanks,

I'm trying to set up an appointment later this week with a Ford Dealer. I know there are 100,000 V10's in service. My biggest problem is finding a Ford Dealer that works on the Ford Chassis.

Craig
Old 11-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Craig, you need to find a Ford heavy truck dealer. A quick call to Ford and they will be glad to point you to the correct dealer who can help. Go to the Ford website and look under "contact us" the number you need is listed there. If the problem has happened several time like you state they should be able to track it down. I live in the Dallas area so can't help with dealers in Houston but there should be several. If the dealer doesn't know who to send you to they aren't a very good dealer, they should have good contacts with Ford dealers to handle chassi problems!
Old 11-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #5

State: Florida
THOR #1249
You can call the Ford Roadside Assistance # 800-241-3673; not that you need roadside, but service. They will set you up with the closest Ford dealer than can work on your RV. Have your VIN # handy.
My Vegas failed to run almost not at all due to vac. leak and had to have it towed 20 miles to a dealer about 3 weeks ago. Fortunately it failed in my storage lot.
No charge for towing, but the problem was not covered under warranty and I had to pay the labor bill, but was glad to do so to get it fixed. You most likely will not need towing if it still runs and your problem may be covered under warranty.
Good luck.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:14 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Here is the Ford Fleet service lookup website: Locate a Dealer | fleet.ford.com
Old 11-30-2016, 04:03 PM   #7

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Craig, you need to find a Ford heavy truck dealer. A quick call to Ford and they will be glad to point you to the correct dealer who can help. Go to the Ford website and look under "contact us" the number you need is listed there. If the problem has happened several time like you state they should be able to track it down. I live in the Dallas area so can't help with dealers in Houston but there should be several. If the dealer doesn't know who to send you to they aren't a very good dealer, they should have good contacts with Ford dealers to handle chassi problems!
Earlier this year we were ready to pull the trigger on a new Jayco MH. The stupid check engine light had came on but then went off, that is until final PDI, when it came back on. I asked the RV dealership if they had coded it and they said they didn't have a code reader. Are you kidding me! You can pull into any auto parts store and they will hook up their code reader to your vehicle for free and tell you the code.

The dealership said they would "try" to get it into a Ford truck center. We basically told them that was great but we walked away from the deal. My buddy bought a code reader for about $60.00 and always has it with him while traveling in his RV. I am starting to think it is another piece of equipment I need.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:32 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Another option is to purchase an OBDII plug in, I have the ScanGuageII. Amazon approx $130.00 on sale. Plug it into your OBDII port, typically found under the dash near the steering column. You can customize it, adding your engine type; liter, fuel tank capacity and throttle position setting just to name a few. Once set up you can monitor the engine with real time fuel economy.

I like the scan tool feature that stores faults along with the perameters when the fault occurred. Sounds like this might help isolate your problem or at least point to a general direction.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:59 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
A 3rd option is to get a wireless OBD-II dongle (like the OBD MX; if you have an Android phone you can get the bluetooth version, but iPhone users need the WiFi version):
OBD2 MX Bluetooth (Android)
OBD2 MX WiFi (Windows, iPhone)

Then run the Forscan app on your phone (or tablet): Forscan
You can read codes or anything from your RV (Granted the stripped chassis usually only has about 3 modules to read from: Engine, Trans, and ABS--my C-Max and old Focus Electric both have/had about 20 modules LOL).

(As a bonus if you have any other Fords you can sniff around your car's parameters as well.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:10 AM   #10

THOR #3591
Ford V10 Throttle Body

Finally found a Ford Dealer that could service my Axis 24.1 motor & chassis. I called the 6 Ford Dealers given to me by Ford Roadside Assistance. None worked on Motor Homes. In fact it took Ford over 2 Hours to find a Ford Dealer that worked on Motor Homes. Ford does not keep a list of Ford Dealers that service Motor Home engine and chassis. Finally found Legacy Ford in Rosenberg, TX. No Ford Dealers in Houston, TX. Unbelievable! Legacy replaced the Throttle Body and my accelerator pedal. My Axis now drives great, shifts better and no more orange wrench on the dash. Apparently the accelerator pedal controls more than just fuel to the engine.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:19 PM   #11

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
THOR #6507
Your problem sounds just like mine. Yellow wrench, and no power. I am trying to find a Ford Dealer now that will repair my RV. I live in Phenix City, AL, just outside Columbus, GA.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:17 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
The Ford commercial vehicle center APP list two Ford dealers that service class A motor homes inside the Houston beltway and one in Dickinson
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymac View Post
Your problem sounds just like mine. Yellow wrench, and no power. I am trying to find a Ford Dealer now that will repair my RV. I live in Phoenix City, AL, just outside Columbus, GA.

Closest listed is in Montgomery (Stivers).
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #14

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
My daughter had the same problem on her Ford Escape. The problem is in the throttle body. There is no mechanical cable connecting the gas pedal to the throttle body it's all done by computer. A position sensor on the pedal and a servo motor in the TB unit with the ECM controlling it as well as the transmission. When it fails it acts just like the old style throttle cable broke. Ford has TSB's out on several model throttle bodies.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:19 AM   #15

THOR #3591
Throttle Body Problems

That's exactly what the FORD dealer told me. The problem was in the Ford Focus, Ford Fusion and FORD V10.

Craig
Old 07-28-2018, 11:08 PM   #16

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
THOR #6507
Hesitation 0-20 MPH

Well, I finally got my rig into a good Ford dealer, Stiver Ford in Montgomery. They actually have bays as long as my 36' MH.

Sometimes it is a simple problem. The hesitation from 0-20 was caused by a bad tank of gasoline that I picked up somewhere in Georgia.

Thanks for all the recommendations from everyone. The best advise was to get the MH to a good Ford dealer that could do a proper diagnostic.

Stiver Ford is on the top of my list. I even ask them to check my brakes while the MH was in their shop. I expected them to recommend a costly repair, but they came back and said my bakes were in good condition.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford v10, no acceleration, throttle body problems, yellow wrench light