Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2018, 11:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: California
THOR #7257
Ford Warranty delays on "Service Engine Soon" issue - THor ACE 29.4

While on our cross country trip in our 2016 Thor ACE which is on Ford F53 chassis, we ran into “Service Engine soon” light after 200 miles onto I5. Then we got 2nd “wrench” icon which states the ODB II has issues. WTF? We only have 6800 miles on this RV and we have done all of the necessary maintenance and even changed the oil at 5500 miles because the RV was almost 2 years old (we bought used from private party). Also changed engine air filter to be on safe side. Ended up in Southern California near Riverside. We first took to Transwest Ford dealership in Fontana, CA and they made us wait all day from 9AM until around 3PM before even doing diagnostic and entire time, never kept husband in loop and didn’t commute anything clearly what was going on with the RV. They said, we need to “move out” of RV and it will take 1.5 weeks to tear apart transmissions to figure out issue. They found error codes on diagnostic testing which were: P0741 and P1744. They also found P0297, but that one was cleared. The first two came back after they did a road test.

We pulled out, got stuck with $300 diagnostic fee and spent rest of day/next morning looking for 2nd opinion. We ended up taking the RV to Rush Ford Services in Whittier, CA. They said they had availability and would start work right away. Here we are over a week later and they have not found a solution to the diagnosis codes. We have lost time/money in waiting for Ford Warranty services to move forward with a solution. We are on the phone every day multiple times to get the same BS answer, “we’re waiting for Ford, we’re waiting for tech support to get back to us” and so far they cannot figure out what problem is or what is wrong with RV. It clearly has issue and we can’t drive it.

I’m at my wit’s end trying to get this resolved and also get expected time of resolution so we know whether we can continue or abort our trip. We’ve planned this for months, we’re working folks and put a lot of time and prep to get 3 months off work to do this “once in a lifetime” trip. Does anyone know how we can escalate or resolve this? We’re in constant communication with Ford’s Service Manager daily and even he gave us BS excuses on speaking with Regional Mgr won’t help. We’ve tried RV and Customer Care assistance and each time we are told must work with dealership to resolve. So what am I suppose to do? They keep saying they will “drop the pan” but they haven’t even done a damn thing because they need Ford’s warranty approval to start work.

Anyone have tips or suggestions?
Anyone encounter similar issues – what was the outcome?
We found this TBS Bulletin which I passed along but they say our software is current and it doesn’t apply: TBS-16-0106
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...92368-5448.pdf

Other things, RV was stored for 5 months and gas is kinda old so only quarter of tank has fresh gas – they said not related. I also checked and removed and tightened gas cap as people mentioned – no difference.

Thanks much guys!(I've also x-posted on iRV2 website as we are running out of time/patience!)

Old 04-11-2018, 12:07 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The TSB you found doesn't appear to apply to the codes pulled:
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-jamahl-walker
https://www.autocodes.com/p1744_ford.html
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...lerie-johnston

Given the descriptions I don't think I'd worry about P0297.

The other two indicate an issue with the torque converter clutch. Don't know enough if they'd have to drop the pan for that or not--you could just have a disconnected wire to the TCC but that may be in the transmission (if the code lookups above are correct).

As far as working with Ford I think you are already doing as much as you can.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:41 AM   #3

Model: ACE 29.4
State: California
THOR #7257
Thanks! It seems there is plenty of info on how to start troubleshooting the issue but still can't figure out why the warranty part is holding them off ...they keep saying they are stuck and waiting to hear back from Ford Warranty. They did road test today and still found everything passing, no issues.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickwit View Post
Thanks! It seems there is plenty of info on how to start troubleshooting the issue but still can't figure out why the warranty part is holding them off ...they keep saying they are stuck and waiting to hear back from Ford Warranty. They did road test today and still found everything passing, no issues.
My guess with the warranty thing: Its all about who pays. If Ford approves the warranty then Ford pays.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote